Green Group discussion

News and Current Events > Climate change and politics

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Burt | 442 comments Mod
Sigh... coal is clean, eh?

Let me guess: are they branding solar as lethal because it's radiation, and wind as dirty because it blows airborne grit?

I really miss the days when science informed public policy instead of being demonized as "partisan."

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1608 comments Mod
We seem to be under the impression in America that everyone has a right to an opinion. The problem is that seems to include science. But science does not work that way. It's all about the facts.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

I think this article is an excellent summary of what happened in the Republican party when it started promoting hatred of government:

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/18/12210500...

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian Burt | 442 comments Mod
Jimmy wrote: "I think this article is an excellent summary of what happened in the Republican party when it started promoting hatred of government:

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/18/12210500......"

Fascinating, and a bit depressing. Growing up, my mom was Democrat and my dad Republican. They had animated discussions about political issues, but they agreed more than they disagreed and found ways to compromise. Back then, so did Congress.

I sincerely miss those days, when it didn't feel like Congress was most productive when it was in recess. :-(

message 6: by Jimmy (new)

Same here. And same with my Mom and Dad. My Dad may have been a Republican, but he was a union man, supported civil rights, and believed in science and math.

message 7: by James (last edited Aug 10, 2016 09:05AM) (new)

James Kraus | 216 comments The Forester by James Kraus

HISTORY: Jimmy Carter put solar panels on the White House & Ronald Reagan took them off. Why did Ronald Reagan take them off? The answer tells us everything we need to know as to how we got where we are today.

PS: The White House solar panels were put on the roof of a Unity
College building in Maine & were taken off a few years ago. Brian Williams reported the entire story a few years ago on NBC News.

Jim K

message 9: by James (new)

James Kraus | 216 comments The Forester

Great article.

James K

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 187 comments James wrote: "The Forester by James Kraus

HISTORY: Jimmy Carter put solar panels on the White House & Ronald Reagan took them off. Why did Ronald Reagan take them off? The answer tells us everything we ne..."

I'm late to this thread, but thanks for this article. And yes, I agree that Reagan's decision to take down the panel tells us much about the dire situation we are in today.
Jan