Young Beginner Writers (closed) discussion

Writing Prompts > Writing Prompt Contest :)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily (last edited Jul 13, 2016 05:26PM) (new)

Emily   In the other two topics in this folder are writing prompts. to enter this Contest, just pick one of the Prompts to base a short story on, then share it in this topic by October 31.
Memebers can vote on which short story they liked best by commenting the title of the story . Please no voting on your own story :), then on October 31 Moderators will count the votes and see who won!

message 2: by Coralie (new)

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 386 comments Mod
Neat idea! So excited for this!!

message 3: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 158 comments Is there a minimum/maximum word count for this?

message 4: by lorien (new)

lorien | 2222 comments Mod
R. E. Banks wrote: "Is there a minimum/maximum word count for this?"

No there isn't. Take as long or as short as you want. But you will be judge based on on well written or how good the story is. Remember: this is suppose to be fun and make everyone write more! Have fun!

message 5: by Coralie (new)

Are you planning to pool by separate prompts or just throw them all together?

message 6: by lorien (new)

It doesn't matter. So long if people say where they wrote it down, then members can check it out and see how they like it.

message 7: by Emily (last edited Jul 17, 2016 03:59PM) (new)

Emily   Coralie wrote: "Are you planning to pool by separate prompts or just throw them all together?"

we are planning on just counting the votes all together :)

message 8: by Coralie (new)

Yeah, I guess I was wondering if you wanted to separate the stories by prompt or put them all together.

message 9: by lorien (new)

Coralie wrote: "Yeah, I guess I was wondering if you wanted to separate the stories by prompt or put them all together."

That would work. That way it'd be more organized. Thanks for the idea Coralie!

message 10: by Coralie (new)

Hah, more of a question than an idea, but you're welcome I guess! XD

message 11: by Emily (last edited Jul 20, 2016 05:47AM) (new)

Emily   Coralie wrote: "Yeah, I guess I was wondering if you wanted to separate the stories by prompt or put them all together."

We plan on putting them all together :) Sorry for all the confusion.

message 12: by Emily (last edited Sep 21, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Emily   I will be participating in this contest and will be using writing prompt:
(10 Writing Prompt : Your MC who lives in the 21st century, is now trapped in any time period you wish because they received a mysterious watch in the mail. How do they react to the time era?

message 13: by Coralie (new)

I am planning to participate. Can we clarify what prompts are up for grabs specifically for the contest?

message 14: by lorien (new)

Everyone can use whatever prompt they would like. So if you choose the same writing prompt as somelse in the group that's fine.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily   Coralie wrote: "I am planning to participate. Can we clarify what prompts are up for grabs specifically for the contest?"

all the prompts in the topics marked 'writing for fun' and 'character building' are specifically for this contest, and two people can do the same prompt. does that answer all your question :) ?

message 16: by Coralie (new)

Emily wrote: "Coralie wrote: "I am planning to participate. Can we clarify what prompts are up for grabs specifically for the contest?"

all the prompts in the topics marked 'writing for fun' and 'character buil..."

Perfect. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the character building ones because they seemed less...plot driven...and the guidelines say we're submitting short stories, so just clarifying! Thanks so much! Sorry I always have so many questions! XD

Oh, and I think I'm going to submit a story with the outlaw who is being chased unjustly prompt.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily   Coralie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Coralie wrote: "I am planning to participate. Can we clarify what prompts are up for grabs specifically for the contest?"

all the prompts in the topics marked 'writing for fun' and '..."

Oh that's ok :) so glad we could answer your questions :) and its always good to be sure :D

message 18: by lorien (new)

Great! I'm so glad that you're able to do it!

message 19: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 158 comments I am participating with Prompt #5. Can't wait.

message 20: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 158 comments Oh wait I'm doing #3, the outlaw who is being chased unjustly, sorry about that

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily   R. E. Banks wrote: "Oh wait I'm doing #3, the outlaw who is being chased unjustly, sorry about that"

Sounds great! :) thanks for participating :D

message 22: by lorien (new)

Winter wrote: "I think I'm going to do number four.. If i can still enter?"

Of course you can still enter! I canny wait to read your story. ; )

message 23: by Coralie (new)

I hope everyone's geared up about the contest! I know I am!

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily   Coralie wrote: "I hope everyone's geared up about the contest! I know I am!"

Me too!!!!

message 25: by Coralie (new)

Emily wrote: "Coralie wrote: "I hope everyone's geared up about the contest! I know I am!"

Me too!!!!"

Hey, so I had a sorta question about the contest. There's no posted word count. Please tell me that was intentional?

message 26: by lorien (new)

Coralie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Coralie wrote: "I hope everyone's geared up about the contest! I know I am!"

Me too!!!!"

Hey, so I had a sorta question about the contest. There's no posted word count. Please tell ..."

It was. : )

message 27: by lorien (new)

I'm going to do writing prompt number 10. It seems to be the most interesting.

message 28: by Coralie (new)

Awesome! Cause...I just finished mine the other day. I'm proofing it now, but I have difficulty with "short" stories. Honestly, I think of them in the classic context, e.g. Sherlock Holmes, Ernest Hemmingway, etc. all wrote short stories, but they were like 10-20 pages on average. Now, mine isn't that long, but it is like 4,000 words, so...I'M EXCITED!

madalyn ( polaroid books ) (officialpolaroidbooks) | 3 comments I am going to enter just for fun! I am going to do prompt #2. c:

message 30: by Coralie (new)

Maddie wrote: "I am going to enter just for fun! I am going to do prompt #2. c:"

Whoot whoot!!! Glad to have you! Can't wait to read your entry!

message 31: by Coralie (new)

Hey, Emily and Lorien, are we making a poll for the voting bit? (Whenever we're ready for that, of course.)

message 32: by lorien (new)

I think we should do that because then it would be easier. We'll just have to wait and see what Emily thinks.

message 33: by Emily (new)

Emily   Coralie wrote: "Hey, Emily and Lorien, are we making a poll for the voting bit? (Whenever we're ready for that, of course.)"

I think thats a good idea, we'll just have to wait for all the stories to come in by october 31 :)

message 34: by Coralie (new)

It'll be a super easy way to count it up and to make sure everyone only votes once. Cool beans! I'm EXCITED!

message 35: by lorien (new)

Me too! I can't wait to see what everyone came up with!

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily   I know :) I'm super EXCITED too! :D

message 37: by Coralie (new)

October feels so far away, but I know it'll be so worth the wait!

message 38: by MagicJenn (new)

MagicJenn | 5 comments I think I like this prompt : (5 Your MC is trapped in an unknown world . . . What does he/she do from there?

Is it weird my story is kinda already about this? I might do the character description though. This is exciting!

message 39: by lorien (new)

It won't be weird at all, Jenn. Go with whatever you'd like! : )

message 40: by Coralie (new)

MagicJen wrote: "I think I like this prompt : (5 Your MC is trapped in an unknown world . . . What does he/she do from there?

Is it weird my story is kinda already about this? I might do the character description ..."

Not weird at all! I think it's an opportunity!!! That's what happened with mine, actually. I went with the outlaw who was being unjustly chased. I'd been toying with an idea before the prompts came out and I saw this as an opportunity to work on it. So, my short story actually has a larger story to it, but this has helped me to focus some of my energy on it. Have fun!

message 41: by MagicJenn (new)

MagicJenn | 5 comments Coralie wrote:

Is it weird my story is kinda already about this? I might do the chara..."

That sounds really cool! Can't wait to see what everyone writes.

message 42: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 158 comments I will not be participating; my schedule is busier than I thought it would be, and I won't have the time. Sorry.

message 43: by Coralie (new)

R. E. Banks wrote: "I will not be participating; my schedule is busier than I thought it would be, and I won't have the time. Sorry."

Aww! I was especially looking forward to reading your contribution, though. :/ Well, I understand busy and I hope you carve out some "me" time just for your own sanity. Next time, hopefully!

message 44: by Coralie (new)

MagicJenn wrote: "Coralie wrote:

Is it weird my story is kinda already about this? I might do the chara..."

That sounds really cool! Can't wait to see what everyone writes."

Me either! I'm super pumped!

message 45: by Coralie (new)

Lorien, your entry was awesome!! I really hope you post more (if not for the contest, than in the stories folder!) cause I'm totally over-invested in your characters and world!!!

message 46: by lorien (new)

Wow. Thanks Coralie! :D

message 47: by lorien (new)

I might post the second entry today or tomorrow. So we'll see.

message 48: by Coralie (new)

Yay!!

message 49: by lorien (new)

Sure! Go ahead!

message 50: by lorien (new)

You're welcome! Can't wait to read your story!

« previous 1