Girls and Guns discussion

Group members Who Write > Indie Author Day

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner The current issue of Library Journal has a notice about an event called Indie Author Day, to be observed on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016, and apparently sponsored by Library Journal and its SELF-e affiliate. As explained there, this is aimed at raising librarians' awareness of self-published e-books, which reportedly "now account for 80% of Amazon's bestseller lists" (not surprisingly, since Amazon pushes e-books to save shipping costs), but are only carried by 20% of the libraries that responded to a recent survey. The day will feature local author events at "hundreds of libraries all over North America," as well as a mid-day digital discussion by a panel of "industry leaders." More information is supposedly available at www.indieauthorday.com , but in fact that link does not work, at least just now when I tried it.

Personally, I'd like to see the event include authors of print books as well as e-books, and for it to be inclusive of small-press authors as well as those who self-publish; but I'm sure the sponsors have their own particular agenda. But in any case, I think it's valuable for librarians to be made aware of this vital and growing branch of the book trade, and to begin to consider making their collections more inclusive of these books! E-book independent authors in this group might be interested in touching base with their local libraries about this.

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner This link is actually functional: http://indieauthorday.com/ .