Christian Goodreaders discussion

Goodreads Authors in Our Group > Indie Author Day

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1924 comments The current issue of Library Journal has a notice about an event called Indie Author Day, to be observed on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016, and apparently sponsored by Library Journal and its SELF-e affiliate. As explained there, this is aimed at raising librarians' awareness of self-published e-books, which reportedly "now account for 80% of Amazon's bestseller lists" (not surprisingly, since Amazon pushes e-books to save shipping costs), but are only carried by 20% of the libraries that responded to a recent survey. The day will feature local author events at "hundreds of libraries all over North America," as well as a mid-day digital discussion by a panel of "industry leaders." More information is supposedly available at www.indieauthorday.com , but in fact that link does not work, at least just now when I tried it.

Personally, I'd like to see the event include authors of print books as well as e-books, and for it to be inclusive of small-press authors as well as those who self-publish; but I'm sure the sponsors have their own particular agenda. But in any case, I think it's valuable for librarians to be made aware of this vital and growing branch of the book trade, and to begin to consider making their collections more inclusive of these books! E-book independent authors in this group might be interested in touching base with their local libraries about this.

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 73 comments Is it a worldwide day or just in America?

message 3: by Werner (last edited Jul 14, 2016 06:09AM) (new)

Werner | 1924 comments The Library Journal announcement referred to "North America," so I'm guessing that it was originally conceived as an event geared to the U.S. and Canada, the area where Library Journal circulates. (Sorry I didn't make that clearer.)

However, e-book vendors like SELF-e normally market their wares worldwide, wherever the Internet reaches. I'm guessing that if you contacted your local U.K. library about the idea, they might be interested in exploring it! Here's a link that actually works, which may have more information: http://indieauthorday.com/ .

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 73 comments Thanks for that. From what I can see initially, it does look primarily American. It would be interesting to see if something similar could get off the ground here.

message 5: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1924 comments Lynne wrote: "Thanks for that. From what I can see initially, it does look primarily American. It would be interesting to see if something similar could get off the ground here."

Yes, I'd like to see it become worldwide in scope!