A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - August 2016 Read

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5781 comments Mod
Hello all!

The time has come to choose your book selections for your August 2016 read in the PIFM challenge.

The rules are:-

* You can choose any number of books. A minimum of two and up to a maximum of 10.

* Please, only ONE MESSAGE per member. That means NO REPLYING or CHATTING in this thread.

* Once you have made your selections and posted, when your votes start to come in you can then add your votes cast by other members beneath your book titles ie. the following might be how my list would look:-

Little Black Lies - Sharon Bolton
x 1 - Christine

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter
x 1 - Brenda
x 1 - Perri

How you post is your choice, you can link, do pictures, the above is just an example. The key is that you stick with the one message and update it as the votes come in. Your list can be placed when the August threads go up.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Thanks.

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Jul 21, 2016 08:57PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1142 comments From my TBR stack.

A Time To Kill by John Grisham
Dana - Vicki - Agnieszka - Brenda - Stephanie - Mary - Christy - Amy - Sean

The Eighth Day by Thornton Wilder

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
Perry - Sophie

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
Amber - Daisy - Melanie - Melanie

Company Town by Madeline Ashby

The Keys of the Watchmen by Kathleen C. Perrin
Mandy

Inferno by Dan Brown
Kirsten

Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown The Keys of the Watchmen (The Watchmen Saga #1) by Kathleen C. Perrin Company Town by Madeline Ashby Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt The Eighth Day by Thornton Wilder A Time To Kill by John Grisham

message 3: by Kirsten (last edited Jul 22, 2016 06:24AM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8197 comments I need to read a book that starts with the first letter of my name. Help me decide!!

The Kept by James Scott The Kept by James Scott

The Kill Switch (Tucker Wayne, #1) by James Rollins The Kill Switch by James Rollins

2 votes - Perri, Melanie

A Killing in the Hills (Bell Elkins, #1) by Julia Keller A Killing in the Hills by Julia Keller

4 votes - Amber, Agnieszka, Christy, Melanie

Kisscut (Grant County, #2) by Karin Slaughter Kisscut by Karin Slaughter

11 votes - Patricia, Mandy, Dana, Vicki, Brenda, Stephanie, Daisy, Mary, Sophie, Amy, Sean

Killer Kung Pao (Health Nut Mysteries #1) by Patrice Lyle Killer Kung Pao by Patrice Lyle

message 4: by Agnieszka (last edited Jul 22, 2016 01:55AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1448 comments I have a bunch of books urgently want / need to read and decided to push most of these into August and that makes a pretty weird selection :-)

1 Cost of Life A Thriller by Joshua Corin Sean
2 Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble, #1) by Nicole Young Daisy, Sophie
1 Yeager's Law by Scott Bell Melanie (Ca)
2 A Kiss Gone Bad (Whit Mosley, #1) by Jeff Abbott Amber, Melanie (US)
0 Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4) by Terri Blackstock
0 Off the Edge (The Associates, #2) by Carolyn Crane
1 Betrayal by Tim Tigner Patricia
2 AVIATRIX First Woman Pilot for Hughes Airwest by Mary Shipko Dana, Perri
0 "A" is for Actress by Rebecca Cantrell
8 Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2) by Robert Dugoni Kirsten, Mandy, Vicki, Brenda, Stephanie, Mary, Christy, Amy

message 5: by Dana (last edited Jul 24, 2016 05:42PM) (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 593 comments My list is pretty random too.. trying to get some challenges done!

1) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - Mandy, Daisy
2) Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion- Sophie
3) Free of Malice by Liz Lazarus - Patricia, Amy, Melanie, Agnieszka
4) Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman - Perri, Stephanie, Sean
5) My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman - Amber, Brenda, Mary, Christy, Melanie
6) Cinder by Marissa Meyer - Kirsten, Vicki

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman Free of Malice by Liz Lazarus Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1) by Isaac Marion The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 6: by Amber (last edited Jul 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Amber Martingale 1.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ( Catholicism and Fundamentalism
by Karl Keating)

2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... (Æthelstan: The First King of England (The English Monarchs) by Sarah Foot)
by Sarah Foot)

3. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... ( Authentic Vietnamese Cooking: Food from a Family Table
by Corinne Trang (Goodreads Author) )

4. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... ( 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry
by Andrew Bridgeford) ) +1
Patricia

5. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... ( Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe: Historical Origins, Style and Philosophy
by Nick Jamilla (Goodreads Author) )

6. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... ( J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
by Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull, J.R.R. Tolkien (Illustrator) ) +4
1st Mandy
Agnieszka
Mary
Christy

7. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...( Memories of a Cuban Kitchen
by Mary Urrutia Randelman, Joan Schwartz) +5
Perri
Brenda
Daisy
Sophie
Sean

8. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7... ( Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing #9)
by Aaron Allston)

9. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9... ( The Waning of the Middle Ages
by Johan Huizinga)

and 10. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ( Katherine Swynford: The History of a Medieval Mistress
by Jeannette Lucraft) +7
Kirsten
Dana
Vicki
Stephanie
Melanie
Amy
Melanie (Canada)

message 7: by Perri (last edited Jul 24, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Perri I want to read an animal book next month:
Oogy The Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love Kirsten, Dana, Brenda, Daisy, Amy
Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards Chosen by a Horse Patricia, Mary, Sophie, Christie, Melanie
In Nesting Time by Olive Thorne Miller In Nesting Time
A Street Cat Named Bob How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets by James Bowen A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets Stephanie, Sean, Melanie
Bats Sing, Mice Giggle The Surprising Science of Animals' Inner Lives by Karen Shanor Bats Sing, Mice Giggle: The Surprising Science of Animals' Inner Lives Mandy, Vicki, Agniezska

message 8: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jul 24, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments Want to read more from the Goodreads Choice Awards List so my picks are from there.

When the Moon is Low
Perri, Christy

The Mason List

The Deep
Kirsten, Mandy, Stephanie, Sophie

My Heart and Other Black Holes
Agnieszka

The Lake House
Patricia, Dana, Amber, Brenda, Daisy, Mary, Melanie, Amy, Sean, Melanie

When the Moon is Low by Nadia Hashimi The Mason List by S.D. Hendrickson The Deep by Nick Cutter My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga The Lake House by Kate Morton

message 9: by Mandy (last edited Jul 31, 2016 03:58AM) (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments A real mixture this month -

1. Out by Natsuo Kirino Out
Kirsten, Daisy, Melanie

2. Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen Skinny Dip
Dana, Stephanie, Vicki, Agnieszka,Amy

3. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson The Gargoyle

4. When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman When God was a Rabbit
Perri,Amber

5. The Raven's Head by Karen Maitland The Raven's Head
Sophie

6. The Birdwatcher by William Shaw The Birdwatcher
Patricia, Mary , Brenda, Christy, Melanie, Sean

message 10: by Daisy (last edited Jul 23, 2016 06:23PM) (new)

message 11: by Mary Beth (last edited Jul 23, 2016 04:38PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 750 comments I Let You Go I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
Mandy Sophie Sean Melanie Amy
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Burial Rites
Kirsten Amber Vicki
Redemption Road Redemption Road by John Hart
Patricia, Stephanie, Daisy Brenda Dana
Magic Bleeds Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews
Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) by Lee Child Die Trying
Perri Agnieszka Christy Melanie
Gone Missing Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4) by Linda Castillo

message 12: by Sophie (last edited Jul 22, 2016 05:07AM) (new)

Sophie | 1081 comments My August picks are all to help towards reading challenges, particularly a huge team challenge called WOBBLE:

1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Kirsten, Patricia, Amber, Mary, Amy, Sean, Mandy (7)
2. Deliver Her by Patricia Perry Donovan Dana (1)
3. Survival by Devon C. Ford Brenda, Christy (2)
4. Jonathan Dark or The Evidence Of Ghosts by A.K. Benedict
5. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty Perri, Daisy, Melanie (Ca), Stephanie (4)
6. The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman
7. Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Deliver Her by Patricia Perry Donovan Survival (After It Happened #1) by Devon C. Ford Jonathan Dark or The Evidence Of Ghosts by A.K. Benedict Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist

message 14: by Melanie (last edited Jul 23, 2016 05:33PM) (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Please help me continue to slay my challenges: Can't wait to see which novel you all pick for me next.

Three to Get Deadly
7 Votes:
(BRENDA, PATRICIA, KIRSTEN, MANDY, AGNIESZKA, DAISY, SOPHIE)
The Rumor
The Space Between Us
The Invention of Wings
4 Votes:
(MARY, AMBER, STEPHANIE, SEAN)
Wicked Business
Half Blood Blues
1 Vote:
(MELANIE)
Cane River
2 Votes:
(DANA, AMY)

Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) by Janet Evanovich The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd Wicked Business (Lizzy & Diesel, #2) by Janet Evanovich Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan Cane River by Lalita Tademy

message 15: by Melanie (last edited Jul 24, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Melanie | 178 comments Historical thrillers this time. Thanks for voting :-))

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard - 4 - Stephanie, Vicki, Patricia, Agnieszka
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin - 8- Amber, Perri, Brenda, Kirsten, Mary, Sophie, Amy, Melanie
The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox - 0 -
The Black Tower by Louis Bayard - 0 -
Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell - 3 - Mandy, Dana, Daisy
The Kingdom of Bones by Stephen Gallagher - 1 - Sean

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1) by Ariana Franklin The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox The Black Tower by Louis Bayard Murder as a Fine Art (Thomas De Quincey, #1) by David Morrell The Kingdom of Bones (Sebastian Becker, #1) by Stephen Gallagher

message 16: by Amy (last edited Jul 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Love your spirits and thanks for always being such a great bunch!

1. Dead Scared (7) Dana, Brenda, Perri, Sophie, Mandy, Vicki, Mary
2. The Killer or The Hunter (whichever people know it best by; my owned copy is The Killer) (1) Agnieszka
3. VOID (1) Daisy
4. The Silkworm
5. Drop Dead Beautiful
6. Triptych (1) Stephanie
7. "A" is for Alibi (1) Amber
8. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4) Kirsten, Patricia, Melanie (USA), Melanie (Can)

Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2) by Sharon Bolton The Killer by Tom Wood The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1) by Tom Wood VOID by David M. Staniforth The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins Triptych (Will Trent, #1) by Karin Slaughter "A" is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone #1) by Sue Grafton The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 593 comments Mandy wrote: "Challenge books again that I must finish this year!! (Some have been listed before)

1. The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill The Woodcutter

2. Kill For Me (Romantic Suspense, #9; Daniel Vartanian, #3) by Karen Rose [book:Ki..."

Hey Mandy - I think you meant to put this in September :)

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Dana wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Challenge books again that I must finish this year!! (Some have been listed before)

2. [bookcover:Kill For Me|648..."

lol I wondered why I couldn't find it just now doh!!

message 19: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1448 comments Mandy wrote: "Dana wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Challenge books again that I must finish this year!! (Some have been listed before)

2. [bookcover:Ki..."

That's life, still you got my vote already :-)

message 20: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Dana wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Challenge books again that I must finish this year!! (Some have been listed before)

2...."

Thank you :)