Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

The Adventures of Breckinridge Elkins, Vol. 1
Western Stories > The Adventures of Breckinridge Elkins, Vol. 1

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vincent (last edited Jul 13, 2016 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments The Adventures of Breckinridge Elkins, Vol. 1

Have you all seen the preorder is available for "The Adventures of Breckinridge Elkins, Vol. 1" at the REH Foundation?

http://www.rehfoundation.org/2016/07/...

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 544 comments Thanks! Tempting. I joined the foundation & liked them on FB, at any rate. Been meaning to do that for ages.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (dolphy76) | 447 comments I ordered it already

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments I ordered mine as soon as I found out, and made a listing for it here on Goodreads. I love their editions.

Joining the Foundation is a great thing, Jim!

message 5: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (dolphy76) | 447 comments Absolutely! Two volumes will consolidate all of the short stories and the novel together as well as all the other humorous westerns. I will buy everything produced by REH Foundation.

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments I've been rereading the stories in this volume.

"Mountain Man" was a decent introductory story, showcasing the tall tale aspects of this character and his adventures. Basically Elkins is mistaken for prize fighter and put into a ring, which resulted in an over-the-top free-for-all gunfight among the denizens of three towns and a gang of outlaws. Had a lot in common with his humorous boxing stories. Not as funny as some of the later ones, it was like REH was still finding his footing with this series. I also have this story from The Riot at Bucksnort and Other Western Tales, and The Complete Action Stories.

I reread "Guns of the Mountain." Breck is tricked, discovered he was tricked, and makes it right - but loses the girl. All with REH's characteristic tall-tale humor style. The set up was easy to see in this one, but the way REH told it managed to retain the humor despite seeing the joke coming a mile a way. Also, I may just have remembered it from the last time I read it, so it may not have been telegraphed as much as I think it was (I have it in the aforementioned books).

I also re-read "A Gent from Bear Creek." You can see REH getting better with the character. Lots of misdirection and misunderstanding here, but Breck ends up the hero at the end despite some false starts on the wrong side.

The Breckinridge Elkins stories would make good cartoons.

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments Re-read "The Road to Bear Creek," which was quite enjoyable - sent on a mission by his pappy, Breck makes a mistake, but it all turns out in the end. He foils a posse, an outlaw gang, and a bank robber - all on accident. Although the mistake in identity was super-predictable, the sheer comic outlandishness of the tale makes it fun to read.

"The Road to Bear Creek" can also be found in The Complete Action Stories.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 544 comments Vincent wrote: "Re-read "The Road to Bear Creek,"..." You mean he wasn't his uncle? LOL! I love Breckenridge. He generally means well, but...
;)

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments ... but it always goes awry. :) He's a lot of fun. I'm enjoying the re-read.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 3 comments I just like to see this side of Howards writing. It resonates with me being a midwesterner, probably because it reminds me of Abe Martin, a local comedic comic strip in Indiana specifically Brown County. Witty, clever but still not exceptionally cerebral, it instead lends well to the idea of country wisdom. It also evokes the side of REH that while present is not what he is more well known for. Makes you see he was not always somber in his writing or attitude.

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments It is akin to Abe Martin! (I'm from Columbus, IN, right next door to Brown County).

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments Finished reading "A Elkins Never Surrenders," which was genuinely funny. The prior ones made me smile - this one made me laugh. He's carrying around cannons and more. Full on slap-stick, tall-tale humor.

I don't have this one in any of my other collections, so it was a first time read for me.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 544 comments That one isn't in most of the collections, but it is funny. Even more overblown than most.

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments Re-read "War on Bear Creek," an enjoyable tale. I liked this one because the plot didn't rely on Breckinridge's penchant for mistaken identity as its catalyst. Instead it had a straightforward plot involving an Englishman who wanted to hunt bear. Breck still didn't get the girl, though.

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments Reread "The Feud Buster" a story where a man ought not to have been bragging about exploits not quite true. Good cartoon violence in this one.

Reread "Cupid from Bear Creek." Good use of Breck's penchant for misidentification. I liked the use of Cap'n Kidd in this one.

I noticed that REH used Wahpeton (from his excellent story, The Vultures of Wahpeton). I don't think I ever noticed that before. Interesting that he linked his tall tale Westerns with his straight Westerns.

Vincent Darlage | 643 comments Re-read "The Riot at Cougar Paw," which had one of the most slap-stick fights ever between Breck and his cousin, Bearfield Buckner, all on account of a joke from Breck's brother John.

message 17: by Tj (last edited Feb 28, 2021 02:35PM) (new) - added it

Tj | 7 comments I read this book a few months back and loved it; I still have to read Volume 2. Does anyone know of writers who did similar humor work, or stuff in the Breck Elkins/Steve Costigan vein?

Thanks

message 19: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (dolphy76) | 447 comments Vincent wrote: "Mark Finn wrote some stuff in homage to REH: The Adventures of Sailor Tom Sharkey.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Sai......"

Yes very good stuff! I loved it. I also heard Mark narrate one of the stories at a REH Days in Cross Plains several years ago. It is homage but some stories are more outlandish involving some fantasy in the stories as well. Sailor Tom Sharkey was a real boxer but these stories are pure fiction.