Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Stranger Things

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Latasha (last edited Jul 13, 2016 03:28PM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11283 comments Mod
does anyone else have plans to watch this? it will be on Netflix, premiering this Friday. I think it looks good & do plan on watching it.

https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY

A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments I'm in.

message 3: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 220 comments Thanks for the reminder!

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Your welcome :)

message 5: by Char (new)

Char  | 16828 comments Mod
I'm going to give it a shot. :)

message 6: by The (new)

The Behrg (thebehrg) | 20 comments Looks promising -

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 71 comments Sounds interesting, hope it will be on Netflix uk!

message 8: by Vavita (new)

Vavita I'm in!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna check it out :)

message 10: by Latasha (new)

your welcome everyone.

message 11: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments WATCH IT!! It is so full of 80s horror goodness, coming of age horror, and a bit Lovecraftian too. Started watching it last night and had to force myself to go to bed after episode 6. It sucked me right in. I'm watching the last two episodes tonight, but it's already the best thing I've watched in a long time.

message 12: by Char (new)

2 episodes in, but I'm not sold.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

Starting ep.2. I like it so far.

message 14: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments The only complaint I have is Winona Ryder's character. I'm not feeling her so much.

message 15: by Latasha (new)

oh I like it! to me she seems bat shit crazy. maybe over playing it a little but it isn't bothering me.

message 16: by Char (new)

Episode 3 was way more appealing to me than the last 2. I'm starting to warm up to Winona more as well. Those Christmas lights got to me. :)

message 17: by Steve (new)

Steve | 12 comments I thought Winona's character got better after the first 2-3 episodes, maybe overacting a little in the earlier episodes. I really liked the series, it nailed the 80s I thought. Not a perfect show by any means but was very fun to watch

message 18: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3191 comments I loved this! I watched the whole series in three days. It reminded me just why I fell in love with American film making and writers in the 80's.
Someone said it was like watching a series of Super 8, which I agree with.
The 80's synth used in the theme and in the show was perfect. As was the soundtrack.
I'd happily watch another series!

message 19: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 220 comments I totally forgot this! Gotta fit this in this weekend!!!

message 20: by Latasha (new)

It's great Cathie! You'll love it!

message 21: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I love it. I recently re-watched Ladyhawke and laughed at that strong synth soundtrack and the terrible font. Stranger Things definitely has the 80's vibe down and the kids are amazing.

message 22: by Char (new)

I've watched 5 episodes so far and I'm loving it. :)

I think Winona found her groove and all the kids are, indeed, amazing. I love them all. Oh, and Hopper! Love that guy too. :)

I just read that it's been renewed for a second season. Yay!

message 23: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 262 comments I'm starting the fourth episode today. I'm pretty sure they made this series just for me. :)

message 24: by Latasha (new)

Yay! I'm glad it got renewed.

message 25: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments The wife and I so far have caught the first four episodes. Looking forward to the rest of the season. :)

message 26: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments I've forced myself to not watch the rest of the episodes so I can watch them with my hubby...I can't wait for his next day off to finish.

message 27: by Latasha (new)

Alissa wrote: "I've forced myself to not watch the rest of the episodes so I can watch them with my hubby...I can't wait for his next day off to finish."

i wanted to savor them too, make them last as long as possible. well... it did not go as planned :(

message 28: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3191 comments Best thing I've watched in a while!

message 29: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments I watched the four first episodes last night, and loved them. I think I'll wait until next weekend to watch any more, because otherwise I'll just binge and not get any reading done tonight;-).

Hopper's character is great. I'm really enjoying the dark humor with him. That sentence about "the worst thing that's ever happened in this town is when an owl thought Mrs. so-and-so's hair was a nest" was hilarious.

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments I finally got myself an Amazon Fire stick and Stranger Things was one of the first shows I tried on Netflix and sad to say I wasn't impressed with it, I think I'm in the minority with this one.

message 31: by Char (new)

It didn't hook me until the end of the 3rd episode. That said, though, it's not for everyone. I think it will appeal most to those who were tweens or teens during the 80's.

message 32: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments Just watched the intro to the first episode with breakfast. I thought it was an episode of X-Files.

message 33: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments I think Steve Harrington looks like Bill Hader.

message 34: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments This was wonderful. The upside down is fascinating - kind of dreamlike and beautiful even as it's creepy.

What do you think they'll do in season 2? Or what would you like to see?

Favorite characters? Eleven was my favorite.

message 35: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments So far as I know, a season two hasn't yet been greenlighted, though imo it's all but a certainty.

message 36: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments It hasn't yet but they'd be crazy not to.

message 37: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments If I had to make a guess, I'd say that there are behind-the-scenes negotiations going on. So far as I'm concerned, the question is not "Will there be a season two?", but rather, "How much will it cost?".

message 38: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments They are releasing the soundtrack:
Hark, Netflix Will Release An Official 'Stranger Things' Soundtrack - The Huffington Post - US
https://apple.news/AQPpkhAwvS5GH5L7ek...

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments Charlene wrote: "It didn't hook me until the end of the 3rd episode. That said, though, it's not for everyone. I think it will appeal most to those who were tweens or teens during the 80's."

That leaves me out.

message 40: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments Just finished episode two. Man what a role reversal, I thought sluts got cut. Poor Duff, I liked her.

message 41: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments Started watching it yesterday. I'm two episodes in. I am really enjoying the music.

message 42: by Char (new)

Season Two has been green lighted as far as I know.

http://renewcanceltv.com/stranger-thi...

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Yay!!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I was instantly smitten...

And here's an extended edition of that sweet intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHNl...

message 45: by David (last edited Aug 02, 2016 04:16PM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1621 comments Charlene wrote: "It didn't hook me until the end of the 3rd episode. That said, though, it's not for everyone. I think it will appeal most to those who were tweens or teens during the 80's."

Well I can definitely remember the eighties. :)
I've just watched it over the course of three nights, and... it was ok. Some of it I really liked, including the eigthies feel, - which they nailed - but overall the pacing was pedestrian.
There were also a hell of a lot of plot holes, (view spoiler).

message 46: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments I watched the last episode today.

I really liked it, and look forward to Season 2.

message 47: by Steve (new)

Steve | 12 comments I know what you mean, I wanted to spread it out a while to make it last but watched it in 2-3 days, loved it.

message 48: by Latasha (new)

That's exactly what happened to me too.

message 49: by Simon (new)

Simon (simon-revels-in-reading) | 17 comments Onori wrote: "I don't know how I missed this thread, but I love Stranger Things. I told myself I was going to spread it out like a TV series, only watch one episode a week, but I ended up watching the entire ser..."

There certainly were a lot of questions left unanswered. I did enjoy it, although as was said higher up the page, things did progress quite slowly. I feel it would have been more effective if they'd squeezed it down to four episodes.

message 50: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments Wasn't Eleven's arm coded with a long number ending in 11? I'd like to see more about the experiments she was involved in. I'd also like to see her reunited with her mother, you know, if Eleven comes back from disintegration.

« previous 1