Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > It (Sept 2017)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mixofsunandcloud (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:41PM) (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments First look at the new Pennywise:

message 2: by Latasha (last edited Jul 13, 2016 03:08PM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11118 comments Mod
I'm neutral on it. I don't think this Bob Grey is any scarier than the original but he's not bad either. just about the same for me. I hope they include more of the terror in this movie. just throw it all in! pennywise is terrifying and he reeked havoc on that poor lil town. I want to see all of it!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7510 comments I wasn't a big fan of the original movie so I hope this one is more terrifying. I like the picture of the new Pennywise, though.

message 4: by Vavita (new)

Vavita I love the picture! I got scared with the first movie but my expectations, being an adult now, are so much higher!

message 5: by Squire (last edited Jul 14, 2016 04:19AM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments I'm neutral as well. It looks like an evil clown, but what makes clowns scary is that they wear happy faces, but hide a demonic side. That juxtaposition is what mad Curry's Pennywise so terrifying--this...looks like slasher film fare. But time will tell. I liked Part I of the original movie (except for what they did to Richie Tozier's character--though I understand WHY they did it), but not part II. I watched the movie with my girlfriend and her younger sister when it came out and both were really frightened by it.

message 6: by Srijan (last edited Jul 14, 2016 05:06AM) (new)

Srijan Sharma | 7 comments everybody seems to be concentrating on pennywise, the whole point of the remake should be to do justice to the lovecraftian ending which the previous movie skipped (due to technological and budgetary issues)
They have the tools and the opportunity to do it this time around. Let's do the Turtle Justice!

message 7: by Char (new)

Char  | 14688 comments Mod
I liked the mini-series quite a bit, but I am REALLY looking forward to the new movie. I love this picture of the new Pennywise also.

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Srijan wrote: "everybody seems to be concentrating on pennywise, the whole point of the remake should be to do justice to the lovecraftian ending which the previous movie skipped (due to technological and budgeta..."

yes!!

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments I didn't realize until I was reading on Wikipedia tht they split the movie in two for this one, and the first movie is going to be the kids story.

I don't know how that will work out since the story mingled the two times together, but at least they're not going to cut everything into 2 hours.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "I didn't realize until I was reading on Wikipedia tht they split the movie in two for this one, and the first movie is going to be the kids story.

I don't know how that will work out since the st..."

Agreed with that. The book flits between the two different eras so the filmmakers need to be very careful.
Hollywood's track record with turning King books in to films is not a happy marriage thus far though so I must admit I am rather cynical.
Hope they surprise me and recreate the terror Pennywise brings to Derry, Maine.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments The original movie was awful because they took a truly intense, disturbing book and put it in a watered-down TV version....whoever had the idea for that?

I'm excited. It has to be better than the original anyway

message 12: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I'm glad to hear that there will be two movies. It is my favorite Stephen King novel, and I don't believe anyone who has seen it could believe one feature-length film can do it justice.

message 13: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Hernandez-g | 34 comments I completely agree with the last two comments (Erin and Walter). From the trailers that we had so far, it looks like it's going to be way better than the mini-series, and of course a movie (2 parts, in that case) can't do justice to such a great and detailed book.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments I'm being hopefully optimistic about this one. I want it to be good, but it feels like it will be so easy for them to screw it up. Either way, I'll be in my seat once it's released to find out.

message 15: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 621 comments Just coming out of the cinema and the movie was pretty good and I had a great time watching it. I won't even try to draw comparisons to the book or the old movie because it's just too long ago that I read/saw it to remember the details well enough...

message 16: by John (new)

John | 135 comments I am preparing to be disappointed. The movie won't be nearly long enough most likely especially considering todays movie goers. I don't go to cinemas so I have a longer wait to see it, but that's all good.

The original was good when it first came out and lets not forget it was on regualr TV! But I have since rewatched it and have to admit it is horribly dated and ... horrible.

Better to re-read the novel me thinks!

message 17: by Isebella (new)

Isebella  | 48 comments I bought my ticket. Now I'm waiting for 10pm to finally watch this film.

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 590 comments I watched the mini series over and over again for years. I grew attached to it a lot but I'm super excited about this one. The trailer looks awesome and pennywise too. I can hardly wait! It concerns me that it will be split in two since the two time periods mingled so well. Let's hope for the best.

message 19: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Ok I'm super excited as I'm going to go see IT this afternoon! I'm taking my husband and his daughter.

message 20: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 56 comments We will be going to see it tonight or tomorrow. I can't wait! Sorry to those who are die hard fans of the mini series but I always found it cheesy. I am looking foward to this new version. I hope I am not disappointed

message 21: by Char (new)

I will be heading to a 6pm showing and have my tickets in hand!

message 22: by Trashed Panda Brew Co (last edited Sep 08, 2017 01:19PM) (new)

Trashed Panda Brew Co (trashedpanda) | 8 comments Just back from seeing IT

Really enjoyed it although i made the mistake of reading the book over the last few weeks and spent the whole time comparing and contrasting ...

That said this version was a lot scarier and as much as I loved Tim Curry, Bill Skarsgard played it far more creepy. The film chose to use parts of the books which didnt feature in the mini series which i think will divide people but i think it made for a more interesting watch.

Finally can someone tell me im not going mad ... in the room of clowns did i spot a photo of Tim Currys Pennywise on the wall in the background? My wife missed it and doesnt believe me haha

message 23: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments I have tickets for tomorrow, and I'm afraid I'm going into this one with higher expectations than I prefer (I've found that no expectations almost guarantees some enjoyment of a movie). I'm a fan of the miniseries, and I felt like there were some highly effective moments and Curry was exceptional. However, the second half falls apart and by the ending is more of a farce to me compared to the first half.

That being said, these previews look amazing, and I'm glad there's a bit of distance between me and my last read of IT. I find I enjoy movies much more when I'm not fresh off a read of the source material.

Anyhow, looks like the movie is definitely worth a watch. Enjoy everybody!

message 24: by Latasha (new)

That's great to hear Puggle!

message 25: by Isebella (last edited Sep 08, 2017 01:21PM) (new)

Isebella  | 48 comments Watched IT last night. One of my new favorite horror movies now. I think Bill Skarsgård did a wonderful job on his creepy and darker interpretation of Pennywise, the kids were amazing and so funny.
Overall, they kept it true to the book, but obviously had to remove and rearrange certain components from the plot to keep the story going.
The main critique that I've noticed is that if you haven't read the book, there is a lot of information and plot that they had to jam in 2+ hours, to the point where some people might get slightly overwhelmed, but if you have read the book then you'll be able to keep up with the pace of the movie and keep up with what's going on a lot easier.
It really is a fun watch for any horror fans. Plenty of disturbing Pennywise scenes, awesome visual effects to add to the creep factor and I would not recommend this film to anyone who has coulrophobia (fear of clowns) or younger audience.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I got my tickets for tonight.. 10 o'clock show!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!

message 27: by Latasha (new)

I don't know if I'll get to go this weekend but I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.

message 28: by Char (new)

I'm here, waiting for it to start!

message 29: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 85 comments I saw it a couple of days ago and thought it was a very respectful version (given todays penchant for special effects).
It kept enough content to ensure it did justice to original IT fans while being different enough to stand on its own merits.

I grew up knowing the original and always walking around drainpipes and now a whole new generation gets to suffer the same :)

message 30: by Latasha (new)

Char wrote: "I'm here, waiting for it to start!"

yay! can't wait to hear what you think about it.

message 31: by Char (new)

It was so much fun! The theater nearly sold out and I think everyone had a good time. It was surprisingly touching and poignant. The kids were just phenomenal.

message 32: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I loved the movie! It had such a different vibe than the original so I don't need to compare them.

message 33: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Got my tickets for tomorrow. Taking my daughter who is a big fan of the miniseries. They are playing it on the IMAX screen, so it should be super cool! Can't wait.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments THE MOVIE WAS GREAT!!!!!!!

The kids were amazing actors!!!

I'm probably an easy person to scare (i LOVE getting afraid at the movies so I get really into it), but I definitely jumped/gasped/shrieked a few times. Pennywise was super creepy. (view spoiler)

But the movie was also heartfelt and funny!! Esp Richie - love him! Hope that actor goes on to have an amazing career. He's very talented. His delivery was perfect. I thought he'd be similar to his Stranger Things character but after the movie started I totally forgot about Stranger Things.

(view spoiler)

Also:
(view spoiler)

Trashed Panda Brew Co (trashedpanda) | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "THE MOVIE WAS GREAT!!!!!!!

The kids were amazing actors!!!

I'm probably an easy person to scare (i LOVE getting afraid at the movies so I get really into it), but I definitely jumped/gasped/shrie..."

Phew! Maybe im not going mad totally agree on the Stranger Things thoughts ... seemed like quite a jump to his Stranger Things character :)

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments a few things i would have liked in the movie:

(view spoiler)

also i was waiting for (view spoiler)

message 37: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith | 26 comments I really enjoyed the movie, it was done with the readers in mind. Tried too hard to be scary and could've done with more subtlety, but the kids were great and held it up.

http://adamjsmithauthor.blogspot.co.u...

message 38: by Imbunche (new)

Imbunche | 17 comments I just came back from the cinema and I must say I loved it. The first Pennywise scene is the creepiest thing I have seen in a long while and despite liking my adaptation to be as close to the orginal material as possible I am very happy that (view spoiler)

message 39: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 56 comments We saw it last night. It was so good! I don't scare easily but they did a wonderful job with the scares. There were a couple things that creeped me out. I would not advise anyone who is terrified of clows to see this. You would probably have nightmares.

message 40: by Rachel (last edited Sep 10, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments i wonder why they (view spoiler)

i read what the original script was gonna be like (back when Cary Fukunaga was writing/directing) and i'm sooo glad (view spoiler)

message 41: by Mike (last edited Sep 11, 2017 08:32AM) (new)

Mike Wallace | -86 comments My wife and I saw IT last night. I really, really liked it. Pennywise was truly monstrous! The kids were fantastic! I'm not Huge fan of the novel (I gave it 3 stars after two readings). I feel this is one of those occasions where the movie is better than the book. I'd like to see IT again.

message 42: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (screamqueenwannabe) | 32 comments I personally loved it. I have not read the original novel (who can blame me it's about 1,100 pages) but I did see the original mini series before watching the new one.

I had zero expectations, and because of that I was blown away. It was beautifully done and I would definitely see again!

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments Saw this one today, and overall, I enjoyed the movie immensely. I tried to view it as it's own separate thing apart from the book and mini-series, and on that basis, it was absolutely fantastic. I feel like most of the characters were translated really well, so can't complain too much there. And Pennywise was just incredible. For the most part I feel like it was a spot-on interpretation and really gave a sense of otherworldliness in its actions and movements.

Unfortunately, I can't say it was anywhere near perfect. Most of the characters felt translated really well, unfortunately, that just isn't the case for Mike and Bill. (view spoiler)

As for the changes made, for a lot of it I didn't mind. I get the idea of wanting to make it a bit different to surprise those who think they know what's coming. But a bit of that just kind of fell flat and threw me out of it completely. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2477 comments Oh man! Kellywise- Ahhhhhhh!!!!
https://youtu.be/Hlt3rA-oDao

message 45: by John (new)

John | 135 comments So a little late to the table here ...

Finally watched it. I don't go to cinemas, not for years now.

Had some creepy moments but not much else, though I didn't expect that. King hasn't scared me in 20 years and that is not my main reason for reading him. All in all. I thought it was a goood movie.

HOWEVER:
1 - they let this go to screen with that horrible leper, just poorly done
2 - Eddie's broken arm looked to be done by the same people who did the arm in Happy Gilmore, though in that case it was intentionally horribly done.
3 - Skarsgard. Peenywise to me was Floki from Vikings with more make-up. I have been underwhelmed by this actor (especially considering his brothers) since Hemlock Grove and even more recently in Mr Robot. They needed a far better actor for this role and they fell short, though not a complete disaster.

This one gets a 7 on 10 ... that and a bag of chips still gets you a bag of chips.

message 46: by Alex (new)

Alex Murphy | 28 comments l was never a fan of the original series, and this while better (probably because it's newer) I wasn't won over by it.
I'm not sure if Stranger Things has ruined it a bit. I know that basically ripped off Steven Kings catalogue (in a big way), but it did it better.
This just wasn't scary. It lacked even many tense uncomfortable moments. And I can't separate it from where it will end up.
I still can't get how Pennywise works. He feeds on fear and flesh? But just kids? Except when he doesn't. He needs them to follow him to the sewers but he does it by frightening them rather than appearing as something they'll like?