Oakville Reads discussion

Fifteen Dogs (Quincunx, #2)
This topic is about Fifteen Dogs
Fifteen Dogs > Question #3: Dogs and Humans Relationships

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Obviously the dogs are the stars of this book but their interactions and relationships with humans seem to play an important role in the story, especially the Majnoun and Nira relationship. What do you think about how the dogs interacted with humans after the “change” and how would that compare your own real-life experiences with pets?

Eric | 16 comments I absolutely loved the relationship between Nira and Majnoun. In my head I actually started to forget that Majnoun was a dog and I was just interested in hearing his opinions on the human experience as an outsider. One thought from him that has stuck with me for a while was,

“The more Nira spoke of these things, the more difficult it was for Majnoun to believe that a group of masters – especially human ones – could act in concert, whatever the purpose or end. So that both ‘government’ and ‘religion’ began to seem like very bad ideas."

I’m not an anarchist or an atheist at all but I can appreciate why Majnoun would think this way living in the world we do.
I don’t have any pets but I’m starting to wonder how much my parents’ cats are listening to us…

Ashley | 116 comments Mod
I also loved the relationship between Nira and Majnoun, and I can see how you can forget its actually a human and a dog interacting. They were so connected and considerate with each other - and then when something would highlight their difference, it was almost startling (eg: when they watch Tokyo Story together, and Majnoun is confused.)

It's funny, your comment makes me think about how I talk to my pets. I have a cat and a dog, and talk to both of them. Not in a serious way....almost like talking to myself, but to my pet. It's comforting I think, especially if you're alone. And I think perhaps this is why Nira and Majnoun's relationship is so special in the story, because potentially many people long for this connection.

Terry | 30 comments Ashley wrote: "I have a cat and a dog, and talk to both of them. Not in a serious way....almost like talking to myself, but to my pet. It's comforting I think, especially if you're alone..."

I find the same - I talk to my cat all the time!

I'm just now 20 pages from the end of the book, and while I appreciate the Nira and Majnoun relationship, I don't trust it nor have I let myself enjoy it entirely either. Given the fate of the other dogs and their relationships with others (dogs or humans), when this relationship started to take root I realized I wasn't investing, as it seems bound to turn out like the rest. Guess I'll see soon if I'm right or wrong...