The Unexpected Everything The Unexpected Everything discussion

T vs B

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vy (last edited Jul 13, 2016 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vy So what did you guys think about the falling out between Toby and Bri? I think MM made it painfully obvious that something happened between Wyatt and Bri that night of the scavenger hunt, so when Andie found them I wasn't surprised. I WAS surprised though by Andie's advice (let's just lie and hope for the best).

For me: I thought what Bri did was really awful. I mean, there's no way around that. I get her point though that Toby and Wyatt were never anything official but I just didn't like how she knew how her best friend felt and still went after him. Also, she made it seem like she cared about Toby by trying to hook her up with other guys but in reality she was just doing it to soothe her own guilt. HOWEVER, I did think Toby asking her to end things with Wyatt was pretty extreme as well.

What are your thoughts? Please share them! (:

Maddi I totally agree with you! I overall loved the whole book except that particular part. It kind of ruined it for me. Although the Wyatt and Bri thing was obvious right after they returned on the night of the scavenger hunt, I was still a little disappointed to find out it was true. After their friendship being so extravagant through out the whole story I thought it was horrid that Bri would just turn on Toby like that. But with that, since their friendship was so strong in the beginning I was a little disappointed when Toby asked Bri to end it. If she had been a true friend, she would have let Bri continue with him, just to keep Bri happy. And the same thing goes for Bri, if she had really cared about her friend she never would have done anything with Wyatt. I hope problems such as this never becomes an issue with my friends over something so stupid like a boy.

message 3: by 411Junkie (last edited Jul 14, 2016 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

411Junkie I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would and it was because of the relationships (which include friendships) that developed through out this book, especially Bri and Toby. I understood the anger and hurt Toby felt. Wyatt liked her best friend and *not* her. Again. And her best friend reciprocated instead of letting it go. I understood why Bri was so afraid to tell Toby so she kept it to herself. She couldn't help feeling a connection to Wyatt and yet didn't want to jeopardize her friendship with her best, best friend so she was trying to figure out what to do. What I couldn't understand, is what Maddi pointed out, is that Toby wished to end their friendship because Bri refused to end her relationship, even after Bri told her she loved Wyatt. As a best friend, if my best friend told me that she was *in* love with someone I liked, who didn't like me in return, I would do my darnedest to let it go and to be happy for them. Yeah, unrequited love sucks so bad, but friendship, solid friendship, should be able to overcome that. Especially if the guy didn't like me back yet he made my best friend happy.

And I could understand Andie's advice. Was it a bit selfish? Absolutely. But I could see her point. And given that they're teenage girls (and I know maturity varies no matter what age) who are trying their best to whether this big shift in their lives, high school graduation and the future, and given Andie's experience with scandal and hiding things for the bigger picture. In that situation, I may have done the same thing. Bri and Wyatt didn't know if this would make it past the summer and the summer was almost over.

message 4: by Vy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vy Maddi wrote: "I totally agree with you! I overall loved the whole book except that particular part. It kind of ruined it for me. Although the Wyatt and Bri thing was obvious right after they returned on the nigh..."

I know what you mean! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since a lot of MM's books include strong friendships with some sort of dilemma, but I just had no idea that Bri even had feelings for Wyatt which was great because that means that she did try to keep it to herself. What I didn't understand was when they found the time to like each other? I thought Wyatt came back like once a year? So when did Bri and him hangout without everyone knowing?

Same with the whole guy issue and I guess it goes the same with girls. A lot of people would throw away friends for someone they like which is sad bc finding a good friend is so rare these days :X

message 5: by Vy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vy 411Junkie wrote: "I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would and it was because of the relationships (which include friendships) that developed through out this book, especially Bri and Toby. I understood the a..."

I think my main problem with Andie's advice was the fact that she did it mainly for herself. She wanted them all to be best friends and she wanted things to stay the same b/c it made things easier for her. She didn't think how it made Bri feel to have to sneak around to see Wyatt nor did she care how Toby would feel once she found out that everyone is lying to her. I like your point about her being political with her advice (it seems like something Peter would say to her dad as well haha) because she was raised to think that way, but I think her relationship with Clark taught her that you can't treat personal matters the same way you can with political issues.

If I were in Toby's shoes I know I would be upset but if my best friend said she loves him, then I wouldn't ask her to end it. I would just tell her to do what makes her happy, but at the same time I'm not going to pretend like we are friends or anything. I think I would need space, since seeing someone you like be all lovey with your friend is horrible and no one should have to go through that.

The ending was nice though because it was realistic. Like they might not be friends again, or they might, you never know. It really fits in with the title too :P

Safa Khan Because of everything that happened between Bri and Toby, this book ended up getting 4 stars. Even at the end they hadn't forgiven each other, which was very disappointing.