Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > Paperback pricing on the cover.

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony Deeney (last edited Jul 13, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Just wondering I have, more in the earlier months than lately, played with the price of the ebooks, trying to stimulate sales.

I have not played with the printed book price much at all,

Now, I don't have the price of the book on the cover. Createspace do not insist on it. I wonder if other indies are the same? If you do have you ever changed the price of the book (requiring re-editing the cover art)?

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments I do not recommend it.

message 3: by Ken (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:32PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) You shouldn't put the price on the cover. The main reason is that when you need to change the price of the book, you have to change the cover. Also, some book stores like to charge their own prices, and won't like your price being on the cover.

message 4: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Don't put the price on the cover.

message 5: by Annie (last edited Jul 13, 2016 07:31PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Anthony: (Disclaimer: I've yet to even release a paperback but...) it seems a bit tacky to me for some odd reason. Like the cover of a comic book...? Just my 1/2 cent *smirks*

Hugs,
Ann

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I don't think Anthony meant cover as the top part with the title and all but rather on the back near the USP code as it is often displayed on trad pubs mass market paperbacks.

I don't know if I would put it myself though. Well...scratch that. I haven't put it but it's a hard decision as it would still make sense as long as you are not planning on changing your price.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss GG: ... *silence* ...

Umm. I'm gonna go eat a smart cookie now in the hopes that it will improve my IQ hahahahaha

Hugs,
Ann

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments LOL Annie, don't worry (but please, can you send one my way, I could really use one of those too! :P)

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss GG: Oh, you know I can!! I always come prepared...

*passes out smart cookies to everyone*

message 10: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments G.G. wrote: "I don't think Anthony meant cover as the top part with the title and all but rather on the back near the USP code as it is often displayed on trad pubs mass market paperbacks.

I don't know if I w..."

Exactly GG.

Trad publishers do it as standard. Then it can be sold "discounted" by the retailer LOL.

It is just that, I gifted a signed copy to a friend when we met for a meal. She was quite excited and instantly decided to buy three other copies for friends. She flipped the book over and inspected the back, to price her investment. I instantly felt that this "standard" information missing
from my book marked it as amateurish.

So nobody puts the price of the book on the back cover?

message 11: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Annie wrote: "@Miss GG: Oh, you know I can!! I always come prepared...

*passes out smart cookies to everyone*"

Mmm... tasty.

message 12: by Ian (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:08PM) (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 268 comments Thanks Annie.

*takes a cookie*

Dang it! I can't bring myself to eat something that's smarter than I am ...

message 13: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Anthony wrote: " She was quite excited and instantly decided to buy three other copies for friends."

I wish all my friends responded like this. She did actually buy three copies and asked me to sign them. She has not reviewed the book.

message 14: by Annie (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:33PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ian: But that's precisely the point of them! Eat up, good sir!! XD

@Mr Anthony: That's odd that she would look at the price, but heh, maybe not. I mean, she already paid, right? I dunno what I'm asking here hahaha *eats more smart cookies*

Huh. I just checked my bookshelf and there are prices on some and none on others. The "issue" in Canada is with the fluctuating dollar value. For example, I'm looking at...

US: $16.00
CA: $17.00

But nowadays, in many bookstores (mass chains) they slap a price sticker on top of the Cdn price to make it higher. The stickers aren't even nice, just plain white and they are NEVER on straight. Personally, I'd prefer no price to having to get the stupid crooked sticker off.

Not sure if that's worthy to note *shrugs*

And thanks for letting me be a dork, guys! I appreciate it!!

Hugs,
Ann

P.S. - She needs to review it. Would you like me to find her for you and "persuade" her to...? ^_~

message 15: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments The covers for my books are professionally done and the designers never include a price on them. It just has the book blurb and bar code on the back.

message 16: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Annie you just reminded me how much I loathe the stickers from bookstores. Sometimes they cover the book description! And I'm like, really? You could not have moved it 2 inches down so people could see what the book was about? Or sometimes it covers the pretty art on the front of the book and I have to meticulously peel it off like some forensic expert to keep the book intact. Yeah, I get OCD about this kind of stuff.

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Marie wrote: "all stuff that resonates with me"

*nods**hugs Miss Marie**nods again*

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall | 79 comments If I was going to exclusively self-distribute, I'd probably put a fixed price on the cover. But if I was hoping to go farther, I'd probably skip it and let the stores decide their own prices (evil store stickers notwithstanding).
This might actually be one of the advantages of indie publishing--our readers can enjoy their books without having to look at maudlin dollar signs every time they see the back cover :)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Annie, Can I have a cookie, too? I brought milk. : )
Hugs, Sue

message 20: by Eva (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 90 comments An indie author, the publisher I selected does have the book price marked on the back cover. I would prefer not. While I'm thinking Amazon sales will probably center on the Kindle Edition which I can price myself, I intend to discount the paperback on my website. As for book stores, if you're lucky enough for them to take books on consignment, I can only imagine them inflating the price further which has somewhat deterred this pursuit, though I will give it a try so I can be in the driver's seat to corroborate or refute what I surmise.

message 21: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Annie beat me to it. Anyone selling for any other price, especially in Canada, is going to slap a yucky sticker over top of it...

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Sue: Of course, ma'am! You can have as many as you like!! Just pass the milk, will ya? XD

message 23: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 240 comments One of the reasons I don't place the price on my books is that while there's a price listed for my paperbacks through Amazon (a price I picked, though I was under the impression that CreateSpace would only let me charge but so little), I sell at a discount in-person. Like, if one of my paperbacks in $14 on Amazon, I get a cut... but if I sell that same book to someone in-person for $10 ($12 if they want it signed), they get a discount and I keep a larger slice of that money.

message 24: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments *takes a cookie and nibbles on it*
*after a while understands what the cookies are for and takes another one*

Marie wrote: "Yeah, I get OCD about this kind of stuff."

Yeah. CDO can be tiring... (Sorry. Put the letters in order!)

Back to the topic:

While for old books it was a standard, I think it's not a good idea nowadays. Your book might be sold in many countries for many prices and many currencies. You might change the price over time. You might want to sell them through other channels.

One of the good points on the indie side is flexibility. Indenting your prices into the cover graphic, will forfeit some of that.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Zoltán wrote: "*takes a cookie and nibbles on it*
*after a while understands what the cookies are for and takes another one*

Marie wrote: "Yeah, I get OCD about this kind of stuff."

Yeah. CDO can be tiring... (..."

Zoltan - in that case, I better take a whole plate.
Also, read your CDO sentence first because the capital letter caught my eye and immediately knew what it meant. : )

Annie - More cookies, please, dear. I got a gallon of ice cold milk. : )

message 26: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Of course, you could always put a ridiculously high price on the bar code, and then everyone would think they were getting a super deal.

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments *slaves away baking smart cookies**prays I have the recipe right**or else...*

@PD: OMG, sooo true! Didn't even think of that hahaha

Update Intel: I did a quick walk-through of a Chapters Indigo today and sure enough! Gosh darn stickers all over the bloody place!! *sigh*

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments P.D. Hahahahaha! You think of everything! : D

*stealthily crawls to counter, reaches up, grabs one... no, two warm gooey cookies and scurries away, leaving the milk on the counter*

message 29: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments So, what do you all do with that little awkward space by the barcode?

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Connell (michelleconnell) | 39 comments For those who have their books in stores, how did you get them there? Do they order them from you and let you know when they need more? What criteria did the store want from you?

Thanks! I have my first novel out and was wondering what experience others have had.

message 31: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Anthony wrote: "So, what do you all do with that little awkward space by the barcode?"

Methinks I'll proudly embrace that awkward space *smirks* Seriously, though. Totally gonna.

message 32: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments "Anthony wrote: "So, what do you all do with that little awkward space by the barcode?"

What awkward space?

message 33: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments G.G. wrote: ""Anthony wrote: "So, what do you all do with that little awkward space by the barcode?"

What awkward space?"

message 34: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Anthony wrote: "G.G. wrote: ""Anthony wrote: "So, what do you all do with that little awkward space by the barcode?"

What awkward space?""

Lol Anthony, you forgot to answer. What awkward space?

message 35: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss GG: He's just good at building up suspense ^_~

message 36: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Sure looks like it. :P

message 37: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) LOL! Given that he replied at roughly 1am his time, perhaps he fell asleep at the keys. ;p

message 38: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: LMAO!!! Maybe, eh??

Anthony actually wrote: "kcnvlguf9yasdnr2pw3ru09dvnlasd.fmlsdjvouq2..."

*puddle of drool*

XD

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Poor Anthony. Someone put a blanket over him.

message 40: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Lol, can't a guy get any sleep around here!

My batteries ran down!

No... I thought that I'd try to illustrate that "little awkward space" in my last post. Hey! It's art!

That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it.

I absolutely meant it to happen and I absolutely did not make a mistake at 1am, typing on my tablet, with one eye open.

message 41: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments What do you mean get some sleep? I thought authors never slept!

No but seriously, if that's the case, then obviously, I'm not one because sleeping is one of my favorite things to do, especially when dreaming is involved.) :P

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments G.G. - LOL! Sleeping is also my favorite activity. : D

message 43: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments G.G. wrote: "What do you mean get some sleep? I thought authors never slept!

No but seriously, if that's the case, then obviously, I'm not one because sleeping is one of my favorite things to do, especially wh..."

I'm a hardcore writer then, as I usually sleep 4-5 hours a day. Sometimes even less. Now that you mention, one of my short stories I just published was actually a dream :)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Zoltan,
Great! So, what you're saying is, sleeping is a profitable activity for you. : )

message 45: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments I dreamed a really really great idea for a story once. Awake half an hour later I couldn't remember it. Now, I am annoyed but I think I only dreamed that I dreamed a really really great story. It's not the same.

:(

message 46: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments My designer always puts the price on with the bar code. It's only tiny and most people don't notice it but I like it because I can then sell them at below RRP.
To Michelle - You should have sent out an advance sheet but we newbies hope that filling in details for Nielsen is enough. As long as you have an ISBN number you can approach wholesalers and independent bookstores. If not it's down to you to sell them yourself. See Writers and Artists Yearbook.

message 47: by Julie (last edited Jul 22, 2016 03:30AM) (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments I did try to send a post that seems to have vanished. Sorry Michelle, I answered before checking that you were in the US. Here we need to find a wholesaler or an independent bookshop.
As for pricing. My designer puts it on the bar code and I sell below that price so people feel they have a bargain (I hope)

message 48: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments The more I think about it the more I think I am going to put a price on. I was in Chapters the other day and it seems to be industry standard. The book store just puts books they want to sell for cheaper on their sale shelves. So if I sold to a retailer they could always make that choice or they could change it with a sticker like they do for trade books.

Since it seems to be industry standard I also think it will make my book look more "legit", and it will also save the retailer the trouble of putting a sticker on if they consider that a pain. If people end up buying it for less they'll feel like they had a good deal. I just need to be sure to list it high for that reason.

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan  Morton | 110 comments Julie wrote: "My designer always puts the price on with the bar code. It's only tiny and most people don't notice it but I like it because I can then sell them at below RRP."

This is what I was thinking about doing, too. Especially since I figure the only nooks I sell will be at cons, so having a "show special" is almost a requirement.