Lebanese Books Lovers discussion

Currently Reading > Question

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Hi! Is this group still active?

message 2: by Tarek (new)

Tarek Mallak (the_trickster) | 2 comments Obviously not :p

message 3: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments hehheh :-)

message 4: by Leon (new)

Leon Lahoud | 6 comments yeah, why is that?

message 5: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments what r u guys reading at the moment?

message 6: by Leon (new)

Leon Lahoud | 6 comments I am currently reading Superintelligence. What about you?

message 7: by Tarek (new)

Tarek Mallak (the_trickster) | 2 comments "War and peace", Tolstoy. Too many characters and I'm finding it hard to keep up with that

message 8: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments I want to read The Rock of Tanious.

message 9: by Nadim (new)

Nadim Khalil | 2 comments Hello,
Rock of Tanious, interesting book, I've red this book, but the Arabic version of it, I actually liked it.
I am currently reading: "State of Wonder" it's a novel about a group of doctors who traveled to the Amazon in search of medical herbs. What I like about this book is that it makes me escape the troubles of the modern world into another world more simple but full of adventures...What about your recent books?

message 10: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Interesting Nadim! I recently finished رسائل غسان كنفاني لغادة السمان. I dont unsually read Arabic books, but this one caught my attention. It made me so angry with the writer's narcissism. Has any of you read this book?

message 11: by Nadim (new)

Nadim Khalil | 2 comments I have not red this book, but I think I am a huge fan of Ghassan Kanafani, I just red one of his books عن الرجال والبنادق and directly felt the connection with his cause. I think these days we need people like this man to show us how to revolt and how to be free from oppression (religious oppression and occupation oppression). In your comment you said narcissism, is this for Ghada or Ghassan? and why?

message 12: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Hi Nadim, I definitely meant Ghada. I dont want to spoil the book for you nor impose a judgement. In case you read it let me know if you share the same opinion. BTW, I downloaded it as a PDF.

message 13: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Knio | 4 comments i am reading now تاريخ بيروت ل سمير قصير

message 14: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Intriguing Ahmad. Is it political though?

message 15: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Knio | 4 comments it is very interesting, Samir has succeeded to document / compile many references about the History of my beloved city Beirut since early ages and highlights the eras that evolved in Beirut, he highlights the importance of Mohammad Ali's era in the evolution and progress of Beirut where it started gaining its strategic character during that era... I will leave you with no more information for you to ask more and be curious to read it...

message 16: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Nice Ahmad! You made me very curious, being a Beiruty myself I feel compelled to read it now :D

message 17: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Knio | 4 comments that is great Mira, we will share our reading when you start with it. what are you reading now?

message 18: by Leon (new)

Leon Lahoud | 6 comments I think Samir Kassir originally wrote the book in french, No? Histoire de Beyrouth, Paris, Fayard, 2003

Anyway, it should be an interesting read.

message 19: by Leon (new)

Leon Lahoud | 6 comments so you guys in lebanon??

message 20: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Knio | 4 comments yes you are right Leon, he first wrote is French. and yes I'm in Lebanon where are you?

message 21: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Sure Ahmad, will hopefully read it soon and share my insights with you. Leon, yes I live in lebanon, do you?

message 22: by Leon (new)

Leon Lahoud | 6 comments Yes I do as well

message 23: by Rana (new)

Rana Haddad | 4 comments Hello guys! So this group is not active anymore?

message 24: by Bchara (new)

Bchara | 6 comments Rana wrote: "Hello guys! So this group is not active anymore?"

Your post is the only active thing i saw since i joined this group a few months ago.

message 25: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Saade | 5 comments We can activate it

message 26: by Rana (new)

Rana Haddad | 4 comments I joined recently and was searching for Lebanese groups and found this one!

message 27: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Saade | 5 comments Welcome here Rana. Lebanese people need read more

message 28: by Rana (new)

Rana Haddad | 4 comments Yes indeed!

message 29: by Rana (new)

Rana Haddad | 4 comments I just finished the spy for Paolo coelho! Not bad

message 30: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Saade | 5 comments Am currently reading adultery by Paulo coelho

message 31: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Saade | 5 comments Coelho is good when you want an easy reading

message 32: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Saade | 5 comments Eckhart tolle, tara brach...

message 33: by Bchara (new)

Bchara | 6 comments Meditation in original must be in greek, no? i have read them in english. Hard to believe the author of these thoughts was involved in persecution of christians.

As for not so easy readings, i would go for published law thesis, quite technical stuff. Or do excursions outside my domain, like lately i read: a Syro-Aramaic reading of the Coran, by Luxemberg, a book that need some knowledge of syriac, which i can barely read.

message 34: by Bchara (new)

Bchara | 6 comments Do you know a good biography of Marcus Aurelius?

The book goes from the thesis that the Coran was initially written in syriac, or copied from syriac. Quite intriguing.

message 35: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments I guess it is now

message 36: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments I just finished "Into The Magic Shop" highly recommend

message 37: by Bchara (new)

Bchara | 6 comments Piotr wrote: "Biography? No. BUt his meditations are like a diary he wrote that were not intended to be published anwy.

As for the Coran, well, history is full of fascinating facts, in particular with monotheis..."

Things not intended to be published somtimes end up as classics, amazing. Im thinking also of Kafka's works (not only not intended to be published but to be destroyed)

message 38: by Bchara (new)

Bchara | 6 comments Mira wrote: "I just finished "Into The Magic Shop" highly recommend"

Just read your review. Indeed misleading title. So it is a scientist talking about ... positive energies?

message 39: by Mira (new)

Mira Tabsh | 12 comments Hi Bchara, yes it's more like a Dr's autobiography, writing about his personal experience using a certain thinking method. I've read several books that confirm the same idea. I guess one just has to believe.

message 40: by Issam (new)

Issam Hamad (goodreadscomissam_hamad) | 5 comments Tarek wrote: ""War and peace", Tolstoy. Too many characters and I'm finding it hard to keep up with that"

I bought War and Peace and I am "afraid" of beginning it! It is so huge!

message 41: by Issam (new)

Issam Hamad (goodreadscomissam_hamad) | 5 comments Lillian wrote: "Welcome here Rana. Lebanese people need read more"

Tell me about it, Miss Lillian! I thought I am the only reader in Lebanon. I just can't find any reader nowadays!

message 42: by Issam (new)

Issam Hamad (goodreadscomissam_hamad) | 5 comments Piotr wrote: "I kinda gave up on Adultery and on Coelho all together. If I was to look for ways of life, I found it elsewhere (Zen and Stoicism). Coelho is too cheesy.
That said, Adultery and 18 minutes have gre..."

It is "eleven minutes," if we are talking about the same novel. But I didn't like Coelho; after a while, nothing remains in your memory from his novels!

message 43: by Issam (new)

Issam Hamad (goodreadscomissam_hamad) | 5 comments Lillian wrote: "Coelho is good when you want an easy reading"

That's the word to describe Coelho: Easy Reading. Thank you, Miss Lillian.