Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] Suggestions for 5th Mini-Poll [Closed]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process in 2015 so much that we have decided to create another list for 2017.

The Process:
The topics for the 2017 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Suggestions for each poll will be open until 20 suggestions are received and then opened up for voting for one week. Each user will vote for their top 4 and bottom 4 topics in each mini-poll, resulting in 4 challenge entries from each (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

The Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user
- Suggestions close after 20 total suggestions
- If you made a suggestion in the fourth round, please wait two days before making a suggestion in this one (Friday at 12PM EST)
- For the sake of balance, we are not allowing any more suggestions related to list or bookshelves/TBR's
- New rules may be added as the polls progress so please be sure to check the rules in each post!

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 suggestions are received.

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments The categories already in the list are:
A book by an author you haven't read before
A book in the middle of your TBR list
A book from someone else's bookshelf
A book with a strong female character
A book from the Goodreads "Top 100 YA Books"
A category from another challenge
A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading
A book with an animal on the cover or in the title
A book about a famous historical figure
A book based on a myth
A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
A novel inspired by a work of classic literature
A book with an unreliable narrator
A best book of the 21st century (so far)
A book set in a fictional location
A book from the BBC The Big Read list

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) A book of history (non-fiction) regarding the history of food or drink

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 780 comments Read a Penguin Modern Classic

My reason: partly selfish in that there are so many of them that I want to read but they're the kind of books I like reading but won't really pick up unless given a nudge which I feel is similar for other people. Also, there's such a wide variety of books included from all different genres that I think everyone will be able to find something that they're interested in reading. I also think it could make for a good discussion as we could read them and then see if we feel like they deserve the title of modern classic.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) A book from your Goodread's recommendations for Science Fiction

message 7: by Nadja (new)

Nadja A book published in a year/ time period you haven't read from yet.

[sort your read shelf by date pub and search for gaps :) ]

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina | 135 comments a book with at least 2 perspectives (more than one main character and more than one point of view)

message 9: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments List for Penguin Modern Classic (or course you can use another edition if the category is picked):
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 10: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 966 comments A book about a woman who disguises as a man.

I don't know how accurate this is, but here is a list for reference of books that could be possible choices: Females Disguised As Males

message 11: by Anne Katrin (new)

Anne Katrin | 44 comments A book with a celestial body, element, or natural spectacle in the title.

message 12: by Jasmine (last edited Jul 13, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 144 comments A book with a long title (6+ words; excluding any subtitles)

message 13: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 780 comments Thank you, Zaz! I was on my phone and couldn't get to the link!

message 14: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 113 comments A book written by a person of color (i.e. someone who is not white)
(someone suggested it in the last round, I think it's a good one so I'm re-submitting it :) )

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2812 comments Tina wrote: "a book with at least 2 perspectives (more than one main character and more than one point of view)"

I actually posted the same thing, without realizing that it was already listed. For me, I was suggesting it because I think it's something a little different than we've seen in other challenges, and because when it's done well, it can really add a lot to the book.

message 16: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3473 comments Something in a genre or style that you don't usually read.

(I thought as we all have our own gaps, this might work to challenge each of us rather than a specific genre of style. By style I mean play/poetry/short stories - I couldn't think what else to call it.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jody wrote: "Something in a genre or style that you don't usually read.

(I thought as we all have our own gaps, this might work to challenge each of us rather than a specific genre of style. By style I mean p..."

Format?

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2812 comments Anne Katrin wrote: "A book with a celestial body, element, or natural spectacle in the title."

What do you mean by natural spectacle?

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Maybe she means "natural phenomena" which may or may not be a spectacle.

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3473 comments Yes, format works. I live in a non-English speaking country, and oddly enough I sometimes forget how to English. It's a weird phenomenon, because I'm far from fluent in the local language, but a lot of my expat friends have the same problem.

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jody - you don't have to live in a non-English speaking country for that. Most people these days don't do English very well.

message 22: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments A book that takes place in more than one country.

message 23: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Example of natural spectacle: aurora borealis. i.e. spectacle made by nature.

message 24: by Anne Katrin (new)

Anne Katrin | 44 comments Rachel wrote: "Anne Katrin wrote: "A book with a celestial body, element, or natural spectacle in the title."

What do you mean by natural spectacle?"

I was thinking along the lines of northern lights, but less literally would also work, e.g. blizzard, snow, rain.

message 25: by Anne Katrin (new)

Anne Katrin | 44 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Maybe she means "natural phenomena" which may or may not be a spectacle."

Probably should have used both terms. Sorry, English is not my native language :)

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2812 comments Anne Katrin wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Maybe she means "natural phenomena" which may or may not be a spectacle."

Probably should have used both terms. Sorry, English is not my native la..."

No problem, I just wanted to make sure I had the right idea in mind before the votes.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 1100 comments A fictional book that has a real life historical character

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beckasbookshelves) | 2 comments A book based on a true story

message 29: by Sophie (last edited Jul 13, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments A book originally written in another language than English or your mother tongue

message 30: by Tia (new)

Tia | 128 comments A book about traveling (like a travelogue), can be about fictional or real travels.

message 31: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Pamela wrote: "A fictional book that has a real life historical character"

Unless I'm understanding the suggestion incorrectly (correct me if I'm wrong), but this seems very similar to the current entry: 'A book about a famous historical figure'

Can you please change your suggestion to something else?

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Anne Katrin - No problem! It's always best to ask for clarification.

Tia - great idea! I thought about something like that as I love Paul Theroux's work.

message 33: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 13, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Since there's a lot of convo happening, here's the current list of suggestions:

- Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation
- A book of history (non-fiction) regarding the history of food or drink
- Read a Penguin Modern Classic (https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...)
- A book from your Goodread's recommendations for Science Fiction
- A book published in a year/ time period you haven't read from yet.
- A book with at least 2 perspectives (more than one main character and more than one point of view)
- A book about a woman who disguises as a man (https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...)
- A book with a celestial body, element, or natural spectacle/phenomenon in the title
- A book with a long title (6+ words; excluding any subtitles)
- A book written by a person of color (i.e. someone who is not white)
- Something in a genre, style, or format that you don't usually read.
- A book that takes place in more than one country.
- A book based on a true story
- A book originally written in another language than English or you mother tongue
- A book about traveling (like a travelogue), can be about fictional or real travels.
- Pamela's suggestion

4 more :)

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Laura - the Encyclopedia Brittanica defines it as such:
https://www.britannica.com/art/Gothic...

13 Great Modern Gothic Novels
https://www.buzzfeed.com/meganb69/13-...

10 Best Southern Gothic Books
http://publishersweekly.com/pw/by-top...

Spine-chillers and suspense: A timeline of Gothic fiction
http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/zyp72hv

Goodreads' Top 65 Gothic Books
http://www.listchallenges.com/goodrea...

message 35: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments I'm not allowed to suggest a topic yet, but I'm loving this batch so far. You guys are really creative!

message 36: by Tia (new)

Tia | 128 comments Tia - great idea! I thought about something like that as I love Paul Theroux's work."

That's a great suggestion Kirsten! I was also thinking of Bill Bryson, Frances Mayes, Jon Krakauer etc.

The journey could also be fictional like A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, or The Lord of the rings books.

message 37: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 13, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Laura - the Encyclopedia Brittanica defines it as such:
https://www.britannica.com/art/Gothic..."

Well... I sort of made my suggestion and then realized that I posted last time so I have to wait 2 days. So between that and missing the opening of the suggestion thread (again), I'm sort of a hot mess today. But I'll repost your links in the 6th round! Thanks :)

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 409 comments Read a book that you choose because of its cover.

message 39: by J (new)

J Austill | 664 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Jody wrote: "Something in a genre or style that you don't usually read." "Format?"

Interestingly, 'genre' is the correct word. Though, Kirsten's fix would make the topic more intrinsic. We use the term 'genre' in popular culture differently, but in academia it is used to describe different types of writing like: novel, play, newspaper article, scientific article, etc.

message 40: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 1100 comments Laura wrote: "Pamela wrote: "A fictional book that has a real life historical character"

Unless I'm understanding the suggestion incorrectly (correct me if I'm wrong), but this seems very similar to the current..."

I saw that one as more of a biography or something like that wheras I was thinking more where they might be a main character like in I Was Amelia Earhart or a small appearance like Winston Churchill in The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared or FDR in Annie (ok, that's a play)

But if it is too much a repeat-

How about a book about a place you've been/are planning to go on vacation

message 41: by Zaz (last edited Jul 13, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Pamela, "A book about a famous historical figure" can be read as fiction or non fiction (as most topics) ;)

3 spots left

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 219 comments Elín Birna wrote: "A book written by a person of color (i.e. someone who is not white)
(someone suggested it in the last round, I think it's a good one so I'm re-submitting it :) )"

It makes me so happy that someone re-submitted my suggestion! I was considering submitting again in a later round in the hopes of us discovering some new authors. My personal goal next year is to add in more authors that don't fall into the category of white Americans or Britons. A few lists with suggestions:

Books by people of color:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/book...

Asian authors:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

African American authors:

Latino authors:

message 43: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 780 comments A book suggested by your grandmother (or a person with more than 60 years)

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 219 comments Pamela wrote: "How about a book about a place you've been/are planning to go on vacation "

I really like this suggestion and hope it gets chosen.

message 45: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments Great poll results so far! I've only now looked at the winners so far and they're great.

My suggestion:
A microhistory

This could be anything, from fashion to science to culinary arts to use your imagination. The upside is that microhistories are written by people passionately interested in their topic, so usually they jump in at the deep end with lots of cool stuff included.

message 46: by Libscigrl (new)

Libscigrl (animlgrl) | 39 comments A book with a red cover or book jacket.

message 47: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 856 comments A book by more than one author (translator does not count)

I think this would be great to research. Collaborations like Pratchett/Gaiman, lots of non-fiction, most graphic novels or illustrated books have multiple authors. Antologies, short story collectioms by many authors, etc, lots of possibilities!

message 48: by Zaz (last edited Jul 13, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Done.

Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation
A book of history (non-fiction) regarding the history of food or drink
Read a Penguin Modern Classic
A book from your Goodread's recommendations for Science Fiction
A book published in a year/ time period you haven't read from yet
A book with at least 2 perspectives (more than one main character and more than one point of view)
A book about a woman who disguises as a man
A book with a celestial body, element, or natural spectacle in the title
A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding any subtitles)
A book written by a person of color (i.e. someone who isn’t white)
Something in a genre, style, or format that you don't usually read
A book that takes place in more than one country
A book about a place you've been/are planning to go on vacation
A book based on a true story
A book originally written in another language than English or you mother tongue
A book about traveling (like a travelogue), can be about fictional or real travels
Read a book that you choose because of its cover
A book suggested by your grandmother (or a person with more than 60 years)
A microhistory
A book with a red cover or book jacket

message 49: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 856 comments Isn't a Penguin Modern Classic a list?

message 50: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments I'm not sure because I'm reading it as "A modern classic (as defined by Penguin)" but it can also be read as "A book from the Penguin's modern classic list". It's near 1 in the morning, so my brain isn't helping!

Other opinions?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.