Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Support Chat > Colouring Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Interested to know if anyone has got into the whole colouring for mindfulness thing? Everytime I go into my local book shop I see shelves of colouring books. I'm often tempted, but unsure of how much it'll help - any insight?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Frank | 3 comments I honestly love coloring. I personally don't like the super busy or repetitive patterns ones but I know a few people who do. It can really take your focus off other things. I tend to color Disney characters and quotes from doodlealley.com. I have made 3 Pinterest boards for pages and one for books. You don't have to have a lot of supplies or anything special, sometimes the most relaxing for me is to just use my crayons. Hope this helps you in your decision.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Frank | 3 comments I almost forget I've also started a Coloring Book Shelf on my page too

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Thanks for sharing Amanda, maybe I'll give it a try! To be honest, I always come up against a wall of being an anxious perfectionist, where I'll think about doing it and then convince myself that I'll hate the finished result / it'll be rubbish etc. I guess I need to see it as the process of doing it that will help instead of caring about the end result!

message 5: by Kassay (new)

Kassay | 33 comments I do the same thing Martha, but I've only colored one page. My coloring book is marine-related pictures. I enjoy coloring, but still am very anxious for how I'll feel towards the end.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I just did it! Well only a bit. I started one which actually had an already coloured version on the page before, and found myself copying the same colours, but that actually helped! I got quite absorbed in it without worrying about which colours I was going to choose :)

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Frank | 3 comments I was a perfectionist to begin with and at times still am, especially with my Disney pics. I tend to want to make it look like the character but I just find reference pictures on the internet and if needed I'll use more than one color to get the color I want. I've been in this Adult Coloring Group in my apartment building since Sept and its helped my become less anal, it helped me socialize a bit and come out of my shell more here but really it helped me remember why I loved to color and how good it felt to finish a picture and share it.
Martha, don't worry about using the same colors over and over. I do that a lot. I tend to stick to blues, greens, purples or I'll go with the rainbow.
A tip for everybody: There is no wrong way to color or wrong color to use. If you want to color a dog purple or a cat green go right ahead.