World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > BE FIЯST oя BE DEAD free on kindle this Sun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Gonna offer it for free download during just one day this coming Sun (17.07 or 07.17, however you prefer):
Be First or Be Dead Be First or Be Dead (Oligarch #3) by Nik Krasno

message 2: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Nik wrote: "Gonna offer it for free download during just one day this coming Sun (17.07 or 07.17, however you prefer):
Be First or Be DeadBe First or Be Dead (Oligarch #3) by Nik Krasno"

Count me in for that :) I'm going to mark my calendar!

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks for your interest, Eldon -:)
I guess I'll put it on the free shelf on the day

message 4: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Nik wrote: "Thanks for your interest, Eldon -:)
I guess I'll put it on the free shelf on the day"

I'm looking forward to reading it and will give you an honest review that will hopefully help your sales :)

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: I'll throw a link in my next email to subbers for ya. And of course, I'll pick it up myself *glib smirk*

You can add me on Twitter if you want and send a Tweet on Sunday. I'll RT for you too. If I see you paying it forward to other indies, then I shall keep on doing that for ya *wink wink*

Hugs,
Ann

P.S. - I dig the cover XD

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Eldon wrote: "will give you an honest review that will hopefully help your sales :) "

Depends whether you like it -:) Thanks a lot, though!

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Annie wrote: "@Mr Nik: I'll throw a link in my next email to subbers for ya. And of course, I'll pick it up myself *glib smirk*

You can add me on Twitter if you want and send a Tweet on Sunday. I'll RT for you ..."

Thanks, Annie, really appreciate! Knowing your outreach, it's a big help
I'm glad to Retweet stuff, but unfortunately my RT function doesn't work, so I can only tweet something anew after adding at least a word of my own, which I occasionally do -:(
Not sure, you'd find it too interesting, but the entire list of my complaints about twitter is hidden in 'twitter' folder here -:)

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: No problemo! It's totally my pleasure. And don't worry, I couldn't care less which vehicle people use for promo purposes. I'm not actually a huge fan of Twitter myself. Of course, I've been on there for all of 3 weeks? hahaha

As long as authors are helping others, I'm more than happy to help them *nods enthusiastically*

Hugs,
Ann

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Annie wrote: "As long as authors are helping others, I'm more than happy to help them *nods enthusiastically*..."

Cool, helping each other makes it easier to get rich and not to get caught -:) Not sure offering a book for free is a step into the right direction though

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: Personally, I won't offer a book for free but that's only because I have some serious issues LMAO!! Many authors do with fantastic results!

I do have thoughts on which book to offer in a series, though. But that's outta the scope of this thread sooo...

*takes out pom-poms**does a victory cheer* Mr Nik, FTW!!!

message 11: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments I'll admit I'm one of those that only grabs the "free books." Yes, I did grab the first book when you put it for free, and I'm reading it now. I'm not even at the 50% mark, but all I can say about it is how has this not been picked up by a traditional publisher?

Political thrillers and the like don't really appeal to me, and I didn't expect to enjoy it, but Rise of the Oligarch has grabbed my attention and kept me glued to the page in a way some of my favorites don't.

I'll be looking forward to Sunday, and I would suggest if you have even a passing curiosity about Nik's work, take advantage and make sure you get your hands on this.

message 12: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments If you tag me on Twitter on Sunday, I'll be sure to retweet you!

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments J.J. wrote: "I'll admit I'm one of those that only grabs the "free books." Yes, I did grab the first book when you put it for free, and I'm reading it now. I'm not even at the 50% mark, but all I can say about ..."

Thanks a lot for your interest and all the good words! I hope you'll enjoy the rest too.
I should only warn that the 1-st Oligarch is a pretty solid read, while the sequels are more mischievous, some say - marginal -:)

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments E.P. wrote: "If you tag me on Twitter on Sunday, I'll be sure to retweet you!"

Thanks a lot, E.P., sure. I try to follow some of your advices

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Sorry to derail this thread a bit but I have to say that EP is a freakin' sweetheart! I got ur back, any day of the week!!

Wooo! *whips out pom-poms again* Mr Nik!!

message 16: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Endorse wholeheartedly any compliment to E.P. -:)

message 17: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments I'm happy to post it on my facebook page that day but I might need a reminder :)

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks a lot, Marie, appreciate! Will remind with pleasure -:)

message 19: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments Annie wrote: "Sorry to derail this thread a bit but I have to say that EP is a freakin' sweetheart! I got ur back, any day of the week!!

Wooo! *whips out pom-poms again* Mr Nik!!"

Ah! *Blushes*

message 20: by Al (last edited Jul 15, 2016 10:49AM) (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 32 comments If you want to find out what's behind today's headlines in Eastern Europe (Putin's invasion of Ukraine), grab this book!!!! Heck, grab the entire series (3 books so far).

Although it's a riveting work of fiction, it's played out against a background of reality that involves oligarchs, power struggles, and corruption.

Now, when I see some news story involving the region, I can relate to it and understand what's probably behind it.

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Al wrote: "If you want to find out what's behind today's headlines in Eastern Europe (Putin's invasion of Ukraine), grab this book!!!! Heck, grab the entire series (3 books so far).

Although it's a riveting ..."

Thanks a lot, Al, for such a complimentary description of the series!

message 22: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments So, today is the day, if anyone wanted a reminder -:)

message 23: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments Just tweeted it out! I hope it does well.

message 24: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks a lot, E.P.!

message 25: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments Just picked it up. Thank you.

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks for your interest, J.J.! Hope you'll enjoy

message 27: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Got my copy!!

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks, Eldon, hope you'll enjoy!

message 29: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Got it, Nik :) good luck with your promo!

message 30: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks a lot, Marie!

message 31: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) As promised: http://benchemail.bmetrack.com/c/v?e=...

Just RT too. Good luck, Mr Nik!

Hugs,
Ann

message 32: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Thanks a lot, Annie!
BTW, if the stuck bullet in the skull counts, then the MC is a bona-fide 'wounded' -:)

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Hmm. I might just chop off a limb or something, just to be on the safe side ^_~

message 34: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments As (and if) the story develops, I might borrow one of Alex's mutilating tactics to reshape an MC a little -:)

message 35: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) If the MC is also a bit of an a**hole...

I just may read it ^_~

message 36: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Maybe a lot, maybe - not at all, we might have different definitions -:)

message 37: by Alex (last edited Jul 17, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Alex (asato) done! retweeted.

(gave me an excuse to login to twitter after a week. mind you: i only have 34 followers. hmm... interesting, i thought i had 99 last week or was it the week before last; online popularity is so ephemeral.)

Nik wrote: "As (and if) the story develops, I might borrow one of Alex's mutilating tactics to reshape an MC a little -:)"

a little mutilation can do wonders to an MC's outlook on life.

another idea for you:
blinding
(although clichéd in terms of metaphors, it did crop up at the end of one of my shorts for a minor character.)

message 38: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Alex G wrote: "done! retweeted.

(gave me an excuse to login to twitter after a week. mind you: i only have 34 followers. hmm... interesting, i thought i had 99 last week or was it the week before last; online po..."

Thanks a lot, Alex!
I know now I have an expert to count upon whenever I feel (or Annie recommends) like inflicting bodily harm to one of the heroes -:)

message 39: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: Not to be super creepy or nothing but I'm a stats sorta girl...

#1,823 Free in Kindle Store
#4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Financial
#6 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense > Political

I bet if you did a promo push, you could hit *GASP* #1!!!

Just saying. Do as you will :)

message 40: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Annie wrote: "I bet if you did a promo push, you could hit *GASP* #1!!! Just saying. Do as you will :)..."

I've slept through my moment of glory-:)
Thanks, Annie, I'm pretty much out of ammunition for any push, so it is what is. 4-6 or 1 doesn't matter much, since it's a free category anyway. Hope it's still good exposure.

message 41: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Ok, guys, want to thank you all for your help and support. On this book I've gotten roughly three + times more downloads than on the 1-st Oligarch and it's definitely thanks to your efforts and interest.
I'm at your service to help, if and when you do your own promo.
Whoever reads, I hope will enjoy

message 42: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments It's funny, but I'm still reading the first one. I have to say, I've been engaged a lot more than anything I've read in ages. I do tend to get easily distracted, but that hasn't happened with your book. It feels like I'm moving through it quickly, but actual progress has been far slower than it feels like.

And I also feel like we should have a section of the board just to discuss it as there is so much running through my mind. I guess the categories we have now are exactly extensions of the issues that come up in the book, and I see a little more clearly where some of the attitudes concerning the rich/poor divide comes from. I am honestly dreading the day I sit down to review because there is just too much on my mind...

message 43: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments I'm really glad to hear, J.J., that you find the book that engaging and thought-provoking.
While practicing law and doing business in former USSR, the feeling that I live in a thriller never left me. Nothing of what is in the book ever happened, yet hundreds if not thousands of similar situs took place and keep taking place as we speak. Year 1991 - Imagine a bulk of property worth trillions of dollars, from huge metal factories, employing over 100 K employees, to oil refineries, ship yards, anything in a huge country being 1/6 of the globe, belonging to a general public, and how in historically negligible period of 20 year, much of it changed hands usually for a fraction of their real value. Add to this, temporary melt down of the state and its institutions, immideately superseded by sportsmen/gangsters, legal system trying to adapt within 10 years to what was developed in the West during 200 and you have a modern Wild West, much more crude and gritty than on the movie screens. I thought it deserved a story, that there would be people interested in what and how it all happened. And the same mud often ground the westerners coming to these so-called 'emerging markets'.
Sure, my views were formed and influenced but what I saw there (and not only) and different ways of enrichment that I'd observed along more than a decade.
Not sure many members would be interested in discussing the series, but with pleasure - we can revive the "oligarchs" folder maybe and open a thread there.
Re review - you shouldn't dread the day -:), as it's not a must of any kind and simply knowing what you think in the process or after reading it is much more interesting and important to me than marketing benefit of one review more or one review less.

message 44: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments We had something similar here in Raleigh about 4 years ago. The state owned about 300 acres of prime, undeveloped real estate just outside of downtown Raleigh that they were looking to unload. The city expressed interest in acquiring it and turning it into a park on a scale of NY's Central Park. The Republicans had just won total control of the state government in the recent election, so the outgoing Democratic governor, decided to transfer the property to the city for a nominal price of $1 ( I think it was - it was essentially a giveaway whatever the price was). The financial crisis was still hurting the state, and she gave away a state asset worth tens of millions of dollars just to keep the decision out of the hands of the incoming Republicans.

Thankfully for taxpayers, the Republicans rescinded the deal. The city still acquired the property, but the state ended up getting something closer to market rate.

message 45: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments J.J. wrote: "We had something similar here in Raleigh about 4 years ago. The state owned about 300 acres of prime, undeveloped real estate just outside of downtown Raleigh that they were looking to unload. The ..."

Hmm... Putin may use this precedent to rescind the Alaska sale for a symbolic price by a tsar -:)
What you describe prima facie sounds like an arbitrary abuse of powers, yet as lons as it's between two budgetary bodies (state vs municipality), it may be a little less severe than when done to the favor of an individual or a corporation in return for bribe or 'donation'...

message 46: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Nik wrote: "Ok, guys, want to thank you all for your help and support. On this book I've gotten roughly three + times more downloads than on the 1-st Oligarch and it's definitely thanks to your efforts and int..."

That's great to hear! I'm really wondering if there is something to my theory about Sunday being a good promo day. So far I have done Mon, Tue, Fri, and Sat with dismal results compared to my Sunday promos. Strangely, others say their books do best on Monday ?????? Gotta love this trial and error business :) I'm glad you had good results!

message 47: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Marie wrote: "I'm really wondering if there is something to my theory about Sunday being a good promo day...."

Can neither confirm nor deny at this point -:), as I've done it twice both on Sundays and I'm not even sure the results are good in absolute numbers, but as I go I'll be glad to share some observations...

message 48: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16019 comments Marie wrote: "So far I have done Mon, Tue, Fri, and Sat with dismal results compared to my Sunday promos...."

BTW, it's probably not only the day, but the season too. I think July, August in Nothern Hemisphere is considered the weakest season for book sales/promos/whatever, while fall, I heard, the best

message 49: by Al (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 32 comments Annie wrote: "If the MC is also a bit of an a**hole...

I just may read it ^_~"

He is.

message 50: by Al (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 32 comments Nik wrote: "Marie wrote: "So far I have done Mon, Tue, Fri, and Sat with dismal results compared to my Sunday promos...."

BTW, it's probably not only the day, but the season too. I think July, August in Nothe..."

Yep. Everyone's on vacation and playing outside instead of hold up inside and reading.

« previous 1