Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Support Chat > How are you today?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Anyone else afraid of people asking you how you are? I tend to go with the classic stock answers "yeah not bad" or "fine thanks, you?" even if my brain is bouncing off the walls. Sometimes I also feel that if I say I'm okay, I can't then turn round tomorrow (or even in a few hours) and say "nope, feeling like crap today!"

I remember reading once about how to talk to people who are grieving and they said that asking "how are you" can provoke quite a negative reaction - they're shit, of course they're shit, they just lost someone! But you can ask them "how are you today?" because they're taking their grief one day at a time, and today might be better than yesterday.

At the time I thought how that could apply to mental health. Managing a lot of mental health conditions is a one-day-at-a-time kind of thing. I also feel like if someone asked me that, they might be doing so because they know I can feel completely different from one day to the next.

ANYWAY that's a rambling way of saying how are you today? Good day/bad day, talk to us :)

message 2: by Sruthy (new)

Sruthy Hey Martha, Thanks a lot for bringing this up. Its funny how the simple addition of a word can make a world of difference. 'How are you?' overwhelms me because it is usually impossible to put everything that is going on in my head to a single phrase, unless you want to sit down with me for the whole story :D

I am feeling well today Martha. How are you today?

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Thanks Sruthy, today's a good day! Got lots done and seeing a personal trainer this evening which always helps clear my head :D

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I usually answer "fine thanks, and you?", unless it's my boyfriend or best friend asking, in which case I'll answer "so so". I don't seem to be able to answer truthfully if I'm feeling shitty.

Anyway, today I'm super anxious because I booked a 7 days stay in Edinburgh for mid August and I'm already worrying about absolutely everything! Also my fear of flying seems to be back with a vengeance, maybe because I haven't been on a plane in 3 years...

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Edinburgh is awesome! Are you going for the comedy festival?

What kind of stuff helps you to calm your anxiety? Does it help to have everything planned out?

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Yes! I'm going for Fringe and Edinburgh International Festival. I'm a huge theater and dance fan :-) I already visited there 4 years ago and fell in love with both the city and the festival!

Well yes, the problem is that I need to have everything planned out. If not, I'll just freak out. So I took the whole morning today to book hostel and flight and a couple of theater tickets, and also trying to organize my stay - which proved extremely difficult at this stage, since there's so much I'd like to do!

I have yet to understand how to calm my anxiety. I have good solutions for panic attacks, but no idea how to ease generalized anxiety. I'll have to ask my therapist for a few techniques next Monday.

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) How is everyone today?

message 8: by Tania (new)

Tania | 4 comments 6 months late to reply.....but.....not doing too well today. Hope everyone else is doing well x

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Never too late, good to keep this thread going. Sorry to hear you're not doing well, anything we can support with?

message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 3 comments 2017 has been good, or at least stretches of uneventful with bursts of awesome.

2016 was the year I realised that, my story with this girl I knew at my local bar had changed from "I know this girl, we see each other every Friday night" to "there was this girl..." *rips envelope in half*.

6 years, is 6 months enough time to get over someone? It hasn't been so far. What makes it the worst is that she's a nurse and I have Asperger's Syndrome, and she did and said things "because I'm a cripple". I want to throw a book on Autism at her. The hardest, heaviest, most in-depth book I can get my hands on. In hardcover.

Or preferably just smack her over the head with it. Several times. As hard as I can. Until it falls apart or she falls over. She's about the same height and weight as my ex, a five-foot-nothing, 50kg girl with no backbone or willpower in the face of adversity.

But that might be a bit much. That might be crossing the line. It'd certainly be *appropriate*, though. Karmic justice. I mean, on top of her having to fork out $1000 for car repairs when she pranged her car to get out of our first ever date. (is what my internal dialogue tells me).

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Gethings (agethings) | 11 comments I want to know how Tania is getting on 😟

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Mod
Aloha All,

I hope life is going better for all. If you need to vent about anything, go ahead as long as we treat everyone with respect. Do not worry about grammar. One of my issues is dyslexia. With this group, there shall be no judgement.

Happy Reading,
Alwaysdaddygirl

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I'm a tad bit depressed today.
Last night I was falling asleep while boyfriend was stroking my hair and my back and it was amazing. Just as I was dozing off into sleep, I heard a loud sound. Turns out a truck decided to deliver some construction materials at night! We're talking 10.30-11 pm!! I got so angry I had to get up. I ended up watching tv in the living room for a while. When the truck had left, I got back and had a talk with my boyfriend. It upset me so very much :( I think mostly because it had been such a good day and I never fall asleep while cuddling, so it was something rare for me to do. To be waken up by that noise just after you fall asleep.... It's just not nice. I'm kind of embarrassed that it annoyed me so much tbh.

Anyway. Today I'm just tired. I didn't sleep very well at all when I finally fell asleep. I also just found out I didn't do very good at my new job :( And it's raining and storming.
Ugh, life. Sometimes it's the little things that just pile up, right?

message 14: by Di (new)

Di | 389 comments Mod
Today nothing has gone right at my new job too. you are not alone :)
but soon we will get the kinks ironed out :)

as for the little things that somehow manage to get to me...
I have found some series (or anime) that I watch in a bad mood that instantly make me feel better. I also have a rainy day book (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) that always makes me smile. I suggest you snuggle your bf and take a half hour of time for yourself with your favourite show/book.

oh. and if i feel sad/anxious/angry/agitated.. I also look at fluffy kitty paws. Very fast relief with few seconds. sometimes i look at them at work too!
Something like this
https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...

Irene wrote: "I'm a tad bit depressed today.
Last night I was falling asleep while boyfriend was stroking my hair and my back and it was amazing. Just as I was dozing off into sleep, I heard a loud sound. Turns..."

If I may, hugs. 😀🎗

Aloha All,

Unless someone asks for help, we are just a shoulder to vent to.

"No one has ever become poor by giving." Anne Frank

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl

message 17: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Jan 03, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

Di wrote: "Today nothing has gone right at my new job too. you are not alone :)

I have found some ser..."

Hugsie,
Alwaysdaddygil

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Aloha All,

Unless someone asks for help, we are just a shoulder to vent to. We do not want anyone to feel pressure.

"No one has ever become poor by giving." Anne Frank

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl"

Christina wrote: "Irene wrote: "I'm a tad bit depressed today.
Last night I was falling asleep while boyfriend was stroking my hair and my back and it was amazing. Just as I was dozing off into sleep, I heard a lou..."

If I may, hugsie🤗
Alwaysdaddygirl

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) Di wrote: "Today nothing has gone right at my new job too. you are not alone :)

I have found some ser..."

Thank you! For the image too :)

@RM - You may, thank you :)

Irene wrote: "Di wrote: "Today nothing has gone right at my new job too. you are not alone :)

I have fou..."

Your welcome! If I may, hugsie🤗

message 22: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 3 comments I seem to be playing the waiting game with every aspect of my life right now. Waiting for friends and family, waiting for next payday, waiting for continuation on shows I watch and my gaming group getting together, waiting for the holiday fatigue to end, waiting to see if a girl I had a BIG falling out with (but hugged it out more recently) does in fact call or text (not knowing if she's holding onto my number, and if she's going through the same anxiety) and just generally having a hard time just keeping my mind focused on what I can personally DO right now.

Daniel wrote: "I seem to be playing the waiting game with every aspect of my life right now. Waiting for friends and family, waiting for next payday, waiting for continuation on shows I watch and my gaming group ..."

If I may, hugsie🤗🎗

If I may;
"If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

message 24: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 3 comments Thank you. :) Going out and even just considering seeing the new Star Wars again - and then decided nah, I'll wait till next week and go get some lunch and go home - helped significantly. The oddest little thing can be all it takes to get past a slump.

Daniel wrote: "Thank you. :) Going out and even just considering seeing the new Star Wars again - and then decided nah, I'll wait till next week and go get some lunch and go home - helped significantly. The oddes..."

Your welcome Daniel! Make you happy. I hope to see this Star War soon. If I may, 🤗

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Manfredi (justlikemellie) | 1 comments I am doing pretty decent today. Kinda bored at work :P

Melissa wrote: "I am doing pretty decent today. Kinda bored at work :P"

Awesome! If I may ask, what do you do for a living?

If I may, 🤗🎗

message 28: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I'm okay today.
Two weeks ago I went to my doctor and she recommended I go see a therapist because being in a relationship with someone with a MI can take it's toll. And I'm feeling worn out, if I'm being quite honest. I'm starting therapy next week and I'm "excited" about it - as much as one can be anyway.

How are YOU?

Mahalo Irene for sharing!

I still hate therapy. I am seeing a physiatrist. I have hard time let anyone in.

My daddy is not his best. He a tad better. Many have it worst.

Blessings All

My daddy is back in the hospital. My mental illness is in the abyss. I wish I did better caregiving so my daddy would not have to be in the hospital. This is beyond hard to talk.

Blessings All
🤗

message 31: by Di (new)

Di | 389 comments Mod
I'm sure you are doing your best. Don't be too hard on yourself!
*hugs*

Mahalo Dee! I hope you, newlyweds are doing well. Again, Mahalo!
🤗🎗💐🇺🇸

I had another mental breakdown. I forget to post this earlier today when I was trying to update, etc on Goodreads. Still 🧟‍♀️ brain. Life can be worst.

If I may, hugsie to all

🤗🎗

message 34: by Di (new)

Di | 389 comments Mod
is there anything we can do for you, other than sending imaginary hugs?

No thank you Dee, but I love any type of hugs. I hope you and your husband are well. Again, thank you!

🤗🎗

Just been trying to deal with flashbacks/ triggers this weekend. More than normal. The libraries and books I own are very helpful to me during this.

Life could be worst.

Hugsie to all if I may🤗🎗

message 37: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Mar 27, 2018 09:24PM) (new)

Mahalo Barb! Your kind words and wisdom truly helps. I understand about hard to talk. I dread talking about it. I would prefer to go jump in an ocean with skarks, then talked about it. If I may, hugsie.🤗🎗

My daddy recently passed. He my best friend. I caregiver for him for 11 years.

Everyday, I go visit him. I miss him sooooo much.

I am reading even more now but I have not updated Goodreads page.

Please bare with me for this year.

If I may, hugsie all
🤗🎗

message 39: by Ean (new)

Ean Oh my dear I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathies are with you.

message 40: by Ean (new)

Ean Hugs and more hugs for you at this difficult time 😔

message 41: by Di (new)

Di | 389 comments Mod
I am so sad to hear about your loss. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thank you, Ladies! It truly means a lot.

Hugsie All

message 43: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah I'm just not doing well. I don't particularly know why or understand why I'm falling to pieces. I'm suffering from horrible anxiety. I have terrible nightmares. I don't feel like myself; I feel like some shaky basket case. Maybe I am. I don't know whether it's my bipolar - though I did have a horrible hypo-manic episode at the grocery store recently - or my PTSD. It just seems like everything and anything is too much for me to handle. I want the world to go away and leave me alone. But even when I am completely alone, it seems like some reminder of the outside global reality breaks in to my peace. Maybe it's the internet; I'm a Generation X member so I remember when it was possible to truly hide away; nobody can do that anymore. I remember when my home county was mostly rural and before cell phones you just didn't take certain roads at night because if you broke down no one would have found you for hours; that same road used to have a DRIVE-IN MOVIE THEATER. But one of those same roads is now completely overdeveloped with a movie cinemaplex, stores, restaurants, a Walmart, a Target, one of those mega-supermarkets, and the fields are gone, as well as the drive-in. Even in Upper County where there are still huge rural areas you're attached to the world with your phone. There's no getting away. I'm trapped.

Rachel Adiyah wrote: "I'm just not doing well. I don't particularly know why or understand why I'm falling to pieces. I'm suffering from horrible anxiety. I have terrible nightmares. I don't feel like myself; I feel lik..."

Sorry for the delay.
If you want to text, you can text me anytime at 248-837-0191. I am in the USA.

If you prefer email, it alwaysbedaddygirl@gmail.com

I have not much to offer in advice but I can listen.

If anyone else need helps, use my contact information anytime.

If I may, many hugsie🤗🇺🇸

Aloha All,

I hope life is going the best for possible for everyone.

If I may, hugsie🤗

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl

Aloha All,

May everyone have a great weekend!

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙

Aloha Everyone,

I hope life is going the best of possible.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

—Dr. Seuss

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙

Aloha All,

I hope all is going well.

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."
- William W. PurkeyYou've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.
- William W. Purkey

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙

Aloha All,

I hope everyone is okay.

"Promise me you’ll always remember — you’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin from “Winnie the Pooh"

If I may hugsie,
RM Griffin
(alwaysdaddygirl)
🇺🇸🤗

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 18 comments Hi RM & everybody. Sorry to be on a bummer but I'm very up and down with my Bipolar and everything at the moment. The Dr is fiddling around with my medication to try to lift my mood (I've had MDD for over 20yrs and I've had enough). One of the problems is that although I'm now getting out of bed at times, the medication is playing havoc with my appetite. I'm having instances of binge eating and that's drastic for my health as I also have Diabetes. I've also battled weight my whole life and was beginning to lose enough kilos to go down a size or two.
Anyone else have weight problems with their meds?

« previous 1