The Handmaid's Tale
A Game of Thrones
Divergent
The Maze Runner
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Martian
The Road

Discussion prompts
- What did you/will you read for this task? What did you think about it?
- Are you a fan of these genres generally? Why?
- A number of popular Sci-Fi books focus on Dystopian societies, why do you think this is?
- What is it about fantasy and sci-fi that attracts readers? These genres are particularly popular in YA fiction, why do you think this is?

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) For this task I've read Oryx and Crake. It wasn't bad, but I honestly expected something better. Perhaps my expectations were simply too high. Not the best Atwood, in my opinion.

I'm not usually a fan of science fiction or fantasy, but I do like dystopia and post-apocalyptic, which fall under the sci-fi genre. I don't like "classic" sci-fi, though. That's simply not my thing, I guess. The same applies to fantasy, although I did like some fantasy books I read.

Well, I think a lot of sci-fi books focus on dystopian societies because we like to see how our world could be if we're not careful in our societal, political and ethical choices. That's the reason why I like these kind of books.

True, these genres are particularly popular in YA fiction. That might be because young readers (and not only them) want books that make them think of things other than everyday's reality, they want to escape and be transported into another world, where things are different, for better or (more often) for worse. I don't know if this is the right interpretation of this popularity, though.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Oooh another Atwood! If I didn't like the Handmaid's Tale, do you think I'd like any of her others? I agree, classic Sci-fi isn't my thing either, it tends to be fantasy/sci-fi, or dystopian, or young adult.

For this task I read Cruel Crown, it's a couple of novellas that act as prequels in the Red Queen series. That whole series is YA/fantasy/sci-fi, and I'd say that's the type of sci-fi I read the most. This was kind of average, one of the novellas was better than the other.

I agree with what you say exactly Marina, dystopias are so appealing for showing the risks of our current choices, and I think young adults do seek excitement and escapism.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Martha wrote: "Oooh another Atwood! If I didn't like the Handmaid's Tale, do you think I'd like any of her others? "

Martha, her books are very diverse, so I think you might like something else she's written, even if you didn't enjoy The Handmaid's Tale. Don't try Oryx and Crake though, since they are quite similar in concept, what with both being dystopias.

I haven't read all of her books, but I'd recommend you Alias Grace or maybe even better The Edible Woman. I liked the first one more, but I have a feeling you might like The Edible Woman better than the other one.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I'll give it a go, thanks!