Into the Forest discussion

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
This topic is about Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
East Asia > Where the Mountain Meets the Moon Spoiler free

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jalilah | 4488 comments Mod
This is the spoiler free thread for the YA book Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin, the July 15-September 14 group read.

Shomeret | 286 comments Since I'm not very interested in European dragons, but am very interested in Chinese dragons, this was the only book I voted for on this theme. I have already put it on hold at the library and was planning to read it regardless of whether it won. I will definitely be joining the discussion when I get it read.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 10 comments I read this last year and I'm looking forward to reading it again with the group.

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments First one on my list to read for this theme.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I read this a couple of years ago and thought it was really cute.

It's loosely based on "Olive Lake" though there's other folktales thrown in there too. (I tried to find an online version of "Olive Lake" but am failing at the moment.)

Here's an interview with Grace Lin talking about the book:
http://www.storysleuths.com/2010/06/i...

By the way, this is another one with colored illustrations that don't necessarily translate well to black and white.

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments I have a hard back copy with the colored illustrations!

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Shomeret wrote: "Since I'm not very interested in European dragons, but am very interested in Chinese dragons, this was the only book I voted for on this theme. I have already put it on hold at the library and was ..."

I was looking to nominate books with Chinese dragons & this was the only one I found. Do you know of others that are good?

message 8: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 13, 2016 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jalilah | 4488 comments Mod
Shomeret wrote: "Since I'm not very interested in European dragons, but am very interested in Chinese dragons, this was the only book I voted for on this theme. I have already put it on hold at the library and was ..."

Kathy wrote: ".." was looking to nominate books with Chinese dragons & this was the only one I found. Do you know of others that are good

I'm also interested in Chinese Dragons. The only other book I know of is The Painted Boy. I did not nominate it because we'd already read the Charles de Lint's The Cats of Tanglewood Forest and some of us are reading Someplace to Be Flying.

The dragon in The Enchantment Emporium is not Chinese, but it's also not a typical European Dragon either.

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Where oh where have I put my copy of the book? Bummer -- not where I thought I had put it.

Margaret | 3717 comments Mod
I have one more book to read, and then I'll read this one. It was easy to find. I'll probably read the Margio fairy tale first.

message 11: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Kathy wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "Since I'm not very interested in European dragons, but am very interested in Chinese dragons, this was the only book I voted for on this theme. I have already put it on hold at the..."

Tea with the Black Dragon? I read it years ago and enjoyed it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 12: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Thanks Frank, I'll check it out.

Margaret | 3717 comments Mod
This is really adorable.