Into the Forest discussion

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
This topic is about Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
East Asia > Where the Mountain Meets the Moon with spoilers

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 13, 2016 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jalilah | 4484 comments Mod
This spoilers allowed thread is for the YA Where the Mountain Meets the MoonGrace Lin, the July 15-September 14 Group read

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Finished -- this was a delightful book.

Kelsey | 84 comments This was really heartwarming! I imagine it being a great book for parents to read aloud to their kids.

Has anyone here read Starry River of the Sky? I might be tempted to pick that one up from the library at some point as well.

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments I am tempted too, Kelsey.

This is a gem of a book! All the stories in the stories remind me of Arabian Nights. It has a very dream like quality about it.
It is tagged as juvenile but I wonder how many children would like this. I don't think my son would have.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Kelsey wrote: "This was really heartwarming! I imagine it being a great book for parents to read aloud to their kids.

Has anyone here read Starry River of the Sky? I might be tempted to pick that..."

I thought it was sweet too, without being excessively childish.

I've always meant to read more by her, but my library only has this one in ebook and I never think of looking for it when I'm there in person. Maybe I'll make a special trip sometime this month.

Margaret | 3717 comments Mod
I agree with everyone here--a very charming novel. Seems like it would be great to read aloud with kids.

Jalilah, I would put this in the 6-10 year-old range. I think it's too young for many middle-schoolers, who want to be cool and read more teenage scenarios.

I also enjoyed the folktales in the chapters, and I'm going to keep an eye out for Starry River of the Sky. My library does have it.

Margaret wrote: ". Jalilah, I would put this in the 6-10 year-old range. I think it's too young for many midd..."

I guess my son's tastes were different at that age. I do think that it's definitely a book written just as much for the parents to enjoy.
It might seem a strange comparison, but it kind of reminds me of The Alchemist in that the young protagonist goes on a quest only to realise that they had what they were looking for all along.

message 9: by Shomeret (last edited Aug 21, 2016 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shomeret | 286 comments I just started reading this book. It interests me that in the case of the red dragon depiction is his reality. The dragon is a mythic figure, but this is also a real world issue. The way categories of people are depicted in fiction can become their reality as a result of the attitudes that result from this depiction.

Shomeret | 286 comments I finished the book. One thing I noticed was that the Rabbit of the Moon remarked that Minli was late. That seemed to me like a reference to the White Rabbit in Wonderland. I expected the Moon Rabbit to consult a pocket watch at that point. It was the one thing that seemed off in the book. Otherwise I liked it very much.

Shomeret wrote: "I finished the book. One thing I noticed was that the Rabbit of the Moon remarked that Minli was late. That seemed to me like a reference to the White Rabbit in Wonderland. I expected the Moon Rabb..."

I don't remember that! Does seem too on the nose.

Shomeret wrote: "I finished the book. One thing I noticed was that the Rabbit of the Moon remarked that Minli was late. That seemed to me like a reference to the White Rabbit in Wonderland. I expected the Moon Rabb..."

I just started reading The Leaping Hare, and apparently in Chinese mythology instead of referring to "The man on the moon,' there's 'the rabbit in the moon.' The rabbit lives on the moon and is a resurrection symbol, and grinds the herb of immortality.

Shomeret | 286 comments Margaret wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I finished the book. One thing I noticed was that the Rabbit of the Moon remarked that Minli was late. That seemed to me like a reference to the White Rabbit in Wonderland. I expec..."

Yes, I was aware of that. That's why I thought what looked like a reference to Alice in Wonderland was so incongruous.

Shomeret wrote: "Yes, I was aware of that. That's why I thought what looked like a reference to Alice in Wonderland was so incongruous. "

I didn't! There's a whole chapter about it.

message 15: by Jalilah (last edited Sep 06, 2016 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I gave my copy back to the library, so can no longer refer to that part about the rabbit, but overall when I look back at this story it left the impression of being a surreal dream.

Rachel | 169 comments Just finished this last night. I agree, it was like a dream. Especially the Buffalo Boy's friend. I would have loved to spend more time with them and the adventures of the goldfish.

Shomeret, I expected a pocket watch from the rabbit too! I didn't understand the connection between a rabbit (ground animal), and a moon (sky). I expected another animal or creature to be the keeper to moon. Something nocturnal like an owl. Thank you Margaret for clarifying the symbolism.

Did anyone catch what happened to the silver goldfish? Did Minli release it at the end? The first goldfish was so grateful to be released. I would think she'd want to release that one too.

Rachel wrote: "Did anyone catch what happened to the silver goldfish? Did Minli release it at the end? The first goldfish was so grateful to be released. I would think she'd want to release that one to"

I scanned the last couple of chapters, and the last mention of it, it's swimming in a bowl. This is in the second to last chapter. So the book never says!

Margaret wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I finished the book. One thing I noticed was that the Rabbit of the Moon remarked that Minli was late. That seemed to me like a reference to the White Rabbit in Wonderland. I expec..."

I just saw this article in the Mythic Cafe Facebook group and immediately thought of the conversation here!

The Mystery of the Three Hares Motif
"An enigmatic trio of rabbits running in a circle appears on centuries of art, from medieval churches in England to Buddhist caves in China. While each bunny seems to have two ears, the symbol is actually a visual puzzle: a total of three ears connects them in their endless loop. Some believe the rabbits symbolize eternity; others think they stand for fertility. Still others consider them a representation of the connection between the heavens and the Earth. The original meaning of the three hares motif remains obscure, but its cross-cultural significance inspired three researchers to spend over two decades traveling the world to unravel some of its arcane history"
http://hyperallergic.com/311482/the-m...

Thanks for sharing that! I'm working on a new fiction piece that incorporates hare myths, so I've been doing a lot of research.

The chapter about the hare and the moon in the book I'm reading didn't have anything to add to what's already been said. It was a very short chapter.

I just read that Grace Lin's most recent MG novel, When the Sea Turned to Silver, is on the National Book Award Longlist. It's in the same series as this one, but can be stand alone. It looks good! Here are some links:

2016 National Book Award Long list: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...

Grace Lin on Folklore: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...

Kelsey | 84 comments Thought I'd come back here and note that I recently finished reading both Starry River of the Sky and When the Sea Turned to Silver, and I thought they were both great! Some of the stories build upon each other, and I thought that the third book in particular was a richer reading experience than the first.

Also, I didn't realize while reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon that Grace Lin does her own illustrations. They're lovely!

message 22: by Jalilah (last edited Feb 22, 2017 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelsey wrote: "Thought I'd come back here and note that I recently finished reading both Starry River of the Sky and When the Sea Turned to Silver, and I thought they were both great! Some of the stories build up..."

I had no idea Grace Lin did her own illustrations either!
What a talented lady!
I loved Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and look forward to reading her other books!

Kelsey wrote: "Thought I'd come back here and note that I recently finished reading both Starry River of the Sky and When the Sea Turned to Silver, and I thought they were both great! Some of the stories build up..."

I also would like to read the rest of the series. Glad to hear they're good!