Mumbai Bookworms discussion

The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic is about The Picture of Dorian Gray
Buddy Reads + Reading Challenegs > Buddy Reads: July 2016 - The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharadha (new) - added it

Sharadha Jayaraman (jayaras) | 338 comments Mod
Yet another buddy read for those who fancy a classic after a break :-).

Please join in at leisure and participate in discussions (we'd love to hear your viewpoint). This BR will start on 15th July 2016.

BLURB:
Written in his distinctively dazzling manner, Oscar Wilde’s story of a fashionable young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty is the author’s most popular work. The tale of Dorian Gray’s moral disintegration caused a scandal when it first appeared in 1890, but though Wilde was attacked for the novel’s corrupting influence, he responded that there is, in fact, “a terrible moral in Dorian Gray.” Just a few years later, the book and the aesthetic/moral dilemma it presented became issues in the trials occasioned by Wilde’s homosexual liaisons, which resulted in his imprisonment. Of Dorian Gray’s relationship to autobiography, Wilde noted in a letter, “Basil Hallward is what I think I am: Lord Henry what the world thinks me: Dorian what I would like to be—in other ages, perhaps.”

Indrani Sen | 80 comments I will try to join

message 3: by Sharadha (new) - added it

Sure, Indrani :)

message 4: by Nitesh (new)

Nitesh Kanthaliya | 59 comments I was also away from reading for quite a few days.. will try and join too..

message 5: by Sharadha (new) - added it

Haven't seen you in a while, Nitesh - hope everything's ok at your end :-).

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Has anyone started? I am struggling with anything remotely serious these days.

message 7: by Doc. (last edited Jul 25, 2016 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doc. (doctorwithoutboundaries) Indrani wrote: "Has anyone started? I am struggling with anything remotely serious these days."

There are a lot of funny one-liners and amusing monologues in the beginning. So I don't think you'll find it too serious to be able to get into it. Happy reading!

Indrani Sen | 80 comments S. wrote: "Indrani wrote: "Has anyone started? I am struggling with anything remotely serious these days."

There are a lot of funny one-liners and amusing speeches in the beginning. So I don't think you'll f..."

Good to hear that. :)

message 9: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin (kevin_james_green) | 7 comments hi people

i started reading The PODG a few days back.

Just curious about this "Buddy Read" concept and how it works.....anyone care to explain ?.....

Meanwhile -- without revealing too much of the book to those who haven't started .... or is that allowed ? Not sure.... anyhow....

The whole homosexual undertones have been creepy for me so far. But Lord Henry however makes some very astute and insightful remarks about various topics.

I think I've pasted some of the more choice passages on my reader, and will share them here later once i've worked through the technological challenges involved.

I'd be interested to hear what others on the group would have to say about this book.

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Kevin wrote: "hi people

i started reading The PODG a few days back.

Just curious about this "Buddy Read" concept and how it works.....anyone care to explain ?.....

Meanwhile -- without revealing too much of t..."

I will try to explain buddy read as best as I understand. Here a group of people read the same book and discuss. Since folks read at varying speed, we do not give out spoilers. You can use spoiler tags for this.

Indrani Sen | 80 comments I just started this. Only a few pages in so far. Love the descriptions much. Apart from the obviously quotable quotes. I think I am going to enjoy this one.

message 12: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin (kevin_james_green) | 7 comments Indrani : Thanks for explaining the Buddy Read thing. I also checked it out on one of my other groups and I now have a better sense of it.

Considering you've just started, how about we buddy up on this one ?

I must caution you however, I read slowly and even though its a short book, attempting to finish it by month end might be a challenge for me.

I read, then chew, then go back and re-read and chew some more. Then I set it aside and pick up another book on my bedside, and start reading that. What can I say ? I'm odd like that.

At any given time I am usually at various stages of completion of at least 2-4 books. Perhaps I bore quickly, perhaps I need time to shift gears. Maybe years of TV & the internet have conditioned me to short nuggets and easy distractabilty.

So there -- I've said it. I've never admitted this before. I cant say it feels better that I have.

What do you say ?

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Kevin, I also have a few books open with me at once. Though anything that engrosses me, I tend to finish at one go. Generally I find classics a bit difficult to read and it does take time. It all depends on my mood. I wish I could read slowly and understand/digest good writing properly. But I mostly tend to read speedily.

message 14: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin (kevin_james_green) | 7 comments . . . .still plodding along. . . .i'll probably finish by the month end from the looks of it.. . . . Too tired to read by the time I come home and weekends fly past with household duties :(

Indrani Sen | 80 comments Kevin wrote: ". . . .still plodding along. . . .i'll probably finish by the month end from the looks of it.. . . . Too tired to read by the time I come home and weekends fly past with household duties :("

Good to hear that. I have managed to finish this one. Let's discuss once you are done.