Outlander Series discussion

Outlander on Starz S2 > TV Series Murtagh

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 229 comments What is everyones thoughts on the campaign by some on Facebook & Twitter to "Save Murtagh"
Is this something you would like to see happen (have Murtagh survive Culloden & appear in Season 3) or do you think that as much as TV series Murtagh is played brilliantly & he will be missed, that is just too big of a change to make to the story?

Interested to see what everyones thoughts are

message 2: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 255 comments I'm in the SAVE MURTAGH camp! I love the job Duncan is doing, and for me the aftermath of Culloden was just too bleak. They left an opening by having him go off the see the Lollybroch men home. He could return but too late. It would be nice for Jamie to have someone in Ardsmuir. Then again, if it doesn't happen, I lived through it once, I can do it again

message 3: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 103 comments I would be fine with the change.

message 4: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments It is the one change I would so be fine with! But it would change so much in Jamie's storyline because having Murtagh there would make some of the things he went through less of a trial.

However I always loved Murtagh in the books and the screen Murtagh made me love him even more so yes I would love it if he could survive!

message 5: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments They could always give him Duncan Inness's entire book storyline. Murtagh loses an arm but survives the battle. He is captured, and ends up at Ardsmuir, where he is temporarily reunited with Jamie seven years later. When Jamie returns to Scotland after his time spent at Helwater, he meets up with Murtagh, who is still in Scotland because no one needed a one-armed indentured servant. He joins Jamie as a smuggler, then follows him to America after Claire's return and so on. I wouldn't mind it at all if they decide to keep him around for longer.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Zoey wrote: "What is everyones thoughts on the campaign by some on Facebook & Twitter to "Save Murtagh"
Is this something you would like to see happen (have Murtagh survive Culloden & appear in Season 3) or do ..."

I read somewhere that they were indeeed going to keep Murtagh's character. Obviously, lots of things can change but if I can find the article again, I'll post it.

message 7: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Schultz | 15 comments I read the books so long ago that I didn't even remember that Murtagh doesn't live past Culloden. I'd be more than fine with the character continuing. His relationship both with Jamie and Claire is a joy to watch and I'm sure Murtagh wouldn't let Jamie marry you know who (don't want to include a spoiler)!

message 8: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments Also, in the books Murtaugh didn't know about Claire's time travel, so the series Murtaugh has a much deeper connection to Jamie and Claire. I'm very much okay with his surviving Culloden.

message 9: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments Monica wrote: "Also, in the books Murtaugh didn't know about Claire's time travel, so the series Murtaugh has a much deeper connection to Jamie and Claire. I'm very much okay with his surviving Culloden."

No, he knew it was just told differently.

message 10: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments Really? Time for another reread! (Like I need an excuse)

message 11: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments Monica wrote: "Really? Time for another reread! (Like I need an excuse)"

Haha I hear you when the TV series was coming out I meant to only listen to the first book but ended up listening to the first 2 because I couldn't stop and had to force myself to stop. I will re-listen to Voyager this winter to tide me over!

message 12: by Sue (last edited Jul 15, 2016 09:51AM) (new)

Sue (sueshelly) | 12 comments Silverblades wrote: "They could always give him Duncan Inness's entire book storyline. Murtagh loses an arm but survives the battle. He is captured, and ends up at Ardsmuir, where he is temporarily reunited with Jamie ..."

Didn't Duncan (view spoiler)That could get weird.....

message 13: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Monica wrote: "Also, in the books Murtaugh didn't know about Claire's time travel, so the series Murtaugh has a much deeper connection to Jamie and Claire. I'm very much okay with his surviving Culloden."

In the book, while recovering at the Abbey, Jamie does tell Murtagh everything about Claire. This is done "on the side", not written. It was at a point where Jamie is just about to give up on life and he asks Murtagh to take Claire back to the stones.

message 14: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments Yep, he does. I missed that both times I read it. Very subtle.

message 15: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Sue wrote: "Silverblades wrote: "They could always give him Duncan Inness's entire book storyline. Murtagh loses an arm but survives the battle. He is captured, and ends up at Ardsmuir, where he is temporarily..."

Well, the way I see it, Murtagh's a Fraser and Jocasta's a Mackenzie, so it wouldn't much matter. If they met in Scotland when they were younger, she would have been just a kid. The one thing with the show that I'm unclear on is that Murtagh in the books is around 50, but Duncan (the actor not the character) seems quite a bit younger.

message 16: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Lefkowitch | 7 comments I have read that book 4 times and I never picked that up until I just reread the scene and found it. . You are
right, he did know about Claire. Thanks so much.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue (sueshelly) | 12 comments And in The Exile, it's very clear that Murtagh knew exactly what Claire was....

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Mader | 170 comments Would love if Murtagh was still part of the story, these differences enhance the story, as i read the books for the first time. I don't want things to be too matchy matchy or i might as well read a script. It would be nice to see that Jamie still had his loyal friend and family member with him. This actor has done an exemplary job interpreting his character too. There are so many lost already Murtagh living could only enhance the continuing story