The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

fave Gothic film.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
Not sure if this counts, but House of Wax with Vincent Price. The one before his is good to me too.
There is a lot more, plus I love the old classics and some of the new more macabre ones too.

message 2: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
Oh yes! It is. It has a book. Read it!

message 3: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
I also like the Uninvited.

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) | 1 comments the others

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I agree with Crimson Peak. Well worth the watch.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 5 comments The Woman in Black based on the novel by Susan Hill, starring Daniel Radcliffe (2012).

message 7: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
I tend to not like the movies. I always picture it different in my head and it never is quite as scary on film.

I have to say The Woman in Black was actually pretty good, not scary but well acted.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 5 comments I also liked the Frankenstein movie that was in the theater not so long ago.

message 9: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
Liked woman in black. Haven't seen two yet. Did you like the original book by Susan Hill? I did.
I also like other of Guillermo's movies. He has a way with things.

message 10: by S. (new)

S. | 686 comments Mod
Sounds interesting. Love black and white movies.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (eserafina42) Nancy wrote: "has anyone read Lady in White by Willki Collins? there is an old black and white film with Sidney Greenstreet as the villain?"

Just FYI - not nitpicking but to be sure people can find it - the correct name is The Woman in White. Wonderful book, and with a strong female character, who is actually described as "ugly," but who is much more interesting than the hero's romantic interest, who is actually a bit of a milksop, to be honest.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (eserafina42) Nancy wrote: "actually, Leslie, thank you. I work from memory and can't always remember correctly. and yes i very much admired that character although my modern mentality wishes she could have been less self eff..."

I think I saw it when I was a teenager or maybe in my 20s - definitely before the 90s since I remember it was in my mother's old house that she moved out of around then. Yes - he definitely did justice to the Count, who has to be one of the all time fascinating (and creepy) villains in literature.

message 13: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Banks | 2 comments Does Pan's Labyrinth count? That's the one that immediately springs to mind... I love that film!

message 14: by Leslie (last edited Sep 02, 2016 10:12AM) (new)

Leslie (eserafina42) Let's not forget the comedies. Of course with the recent sad passing of Gene Wilder, we have to mention Young Frankenstein (that's FRONkensteen!) I don't think I've ever seen it, but he also did Haunted Honeymoon with Gilda, And then, of course, with Mel Brooks in mind, Dracula: Dead...and Loving It with the late great Leslie Nielsen.

message 15: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
Love the Gene Wilder movies!!

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Fogg | 3 comments I liked The Orphanage, and The Others with Nicole Kidman, written by the same Spanish screenwriter.

Really enjoyed the creepiness of Woman In Black, very well done as far as suspense mechanisms!

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 5 comments The Others is a favorite of mine. I loved everything about it. Strangely, I overheard a co-worker of mine saying it was the worst movie she had ever seen! I was floored! I mean, I know that what makes a great movie is very subjective, but I just don't understand how you could come away from a movie like that and hate it.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Fogg | 3 comments Well, it The Others may not be everyone's "cup of tea", I suppose! My son thinks The Woman in Black is not creepy but I really thought it was giving me goosebumps!

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 5 comments Me too! I loved The Woman in Black. That Frankenstein movie that was in theaters not so long ago was also very good. Can't wait for some of these films to show up on Netflix!

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Fogg | 3 comments Renee- I will have to check out that recent Frankenstein!

Speaking of Frankenstein. I read the book a few years ago and I thought it was superb! It was more poignant than expected. I have never seen a movie that did it justice. They are usually not at all like the beautifully written book.

The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus>

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in White (other topics)