Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > 1600-1800

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyyborgerr) | 7 comments Sorry, I know, the time frame is very broad. As far as location, I am open to Western Europe, the US, and Russia (I love Imperial Russia). A couple of things I would like to steer clear from is the American Civil War, the gold rush, and heavy romance. I preferably like mystery with a little romance intertwined but I am open to any recommendations!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 249 comments I'm a big fan of the English Restoration period. Some good novels from this era include An Instance of the Fingerpost and Year of Wonders.

Neal Stephenson's doorstopper Baroque trilogy is also a great portrayal of the late 17th/early 18th centuries. It starts with Quicksilver.

The Three Musketeers is set in 17th century France.

There's a classic Polish trilogy starting with Ogniem i mieczem (With Fire and Sword). I haven't read this yet but it's apparently hugely popular in Poland and there should be a good translation out there.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica Hills | 113 comments The Hangman's Daughter Series by Oliver Potzsch is set in Europe in the 1600s and they are mysteries. The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch I really like this series.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) These are my favorites in this time frame:-

A Place of Greater Safety (a gripping epic about the French Revolution era and the Reign of Terror).

An Officer and a Spy (a historical thriller set in 19th century France about a big military scandal based on true events).

Imperial Woman (about the life and times of Empress Dowager Cixi)

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman (non-fiction that reads like fiction).

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyyborgerr) | 7 comments Monica wrote: "The Hangman's Daughter Series by Oliver Potzsch is set in Europe in the 1600s and they are mysteries. The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch I really like this series."

I have actually read that series! (Well, most of it anyways). I really like it though I find it hard to connect with the characters at times. Still trying to find time to get to The Poisoned Pilgrim....

message 6: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyyborgerr) | 7 comments Fiona wrote: "I'm a big fan of the English Restoration period. Some good novels from this era include An Instance of the Fingerpost and Year of Wonders.

Neal Stephenson's doorstopper B..."

That first book you mention sounds really interesting....it is now in my cart on Amazon! lol

message 7: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyyborgerr) | 7 comments Alice wrote: "These are my favorites in this time frame:-

A Place of Greater Safety (a gripping epic about the French Revolution era and the Reign of Terror).

An Officer and a Spy..."

I have always wanted to read Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman but I have been intimidated by the size. Robert K. Massie is actually my favorite author to read of the Romanovs!

message 8: by C.P. (last edited Jul 25, 2016 05:15PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 644 comments You might try instead Catherine the Great: A Short History. Isabel de Madariaga was the authority on Catherine and another very fluid writer.

Or you could go straight to The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great and sidestep the biography altogether.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 23 comments Nothing to do with Russia, but this is the right time period and I enjoyed it very muchL Devil Water