I Read Comic Books discussion

Thoughts on the show?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jul 12, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 639 comments Mod
As one of the people who runs IRCB, I'm curious about what everyone thinks of the show.

How did you find the show? What do you like or dislike? What do you want to hear more of?

message 2: by kaitlphere (new)

kaitlphere | 228 comments Mod
I found your podcast through a few nerds I went to college with, who also really got me into comics. I like to hear what everyone is reading and the outtakes section after the "credits." I also like the different discussion themes, and I'm enjoying the short episodes currently running.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Herron (hedderbadgerton) | 5 comments I listened to my first episode today and it happened to be on the book of the month for October. I really appreciated the discussion, the different perspectives, and the different factors that you guys brought up to assess overall quality. I live in the northern most city of the United States (Barrow, AK) and don't have access to a lot of stores or high speed internet. When looking for a podcast/group I was looking for something that could help me stay informed of new stuff but also help me connect to the staples. Kind of like one stop shop because my resources are limited. I'm new to the group and show so I don't know what all has been done but I think it'd be really cool to have an episode highlighting specific artists and authors or discussing historical/social contexts of the creation/evolution of different characters. Thanks for y'all's work!

message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 639 comments Mod
Thanks for checking us out, Heather! Glad you enjoyed the episode about The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Keep listening and let us know what you think!

message 5: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 5 comments I really enjoy your show. I also like that you can talk about the books with out spoiling it.

I just listened to the one for this week. I completely agree with the guy talking about the new 52 Animal Man. It was my favorite this about the new 52. It put me through so many emotions. I love books that can just be about a guys family. Yeah he was a superhero too but that seemed like a side plot and his family was front and center. I dont think this will be a "classic" though.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments I listened to the most recent show today and I came away with two thoughts. Paul mentioned that he didn't enjoy Wytches and I'm right there with him. It looks like it will be the May book of the month so I will probably re-read it. It's great that you all feel comfortable saying when you don't like a book, especially for popular series. Keep it up because it gives a more rounded perspective when the books are discussed.

The second thing is that it would be great to have a list of recommended reads from each episode. I was listening at a time where I couldn't stop to write down titles of the books that were mentioned during the miniseries discussion. I could always go back and listen to it again, but I know that isn't likely to happen. I realize there is a list of books read/picked for the week in the episode notes.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 576 comments Mod
Phillip wrote: "I listened to the most recent show today and I came away with two thoughts. Paul mentioned that he didn't enjoy Wytches and I'm right there with him. It looks like it will be the May book of the mo..."

Thank you Phillip :) We aren't affiliated with any comic retailers or publishers, the way a lot of comic podcasts are, which gives us the freedom to be honest.

I know what you mean about titles mentioned in the second half. I will bring it up at our next staff meeting. Is it something you'd be interested enough in to visit the website to read it?

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Kate wrote: "I know what you mean about titles mentioned in the second half. I will bring it up at our next staff meeting. Is it something you'd be interested enough in to visit the website to read it?"

Yes.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Herron (hedderbadgerton) | 5 comments I found the podcast through the Goodreads group. Being located in Barrow, AK the comic community isn't exactly present up here. So this podcast serves as a way to make it feel a bit less lonely and a bit more connected to the comic community. I love the chemistry between all the different cast members and I really appreciate that you guys talk about different topics associated with the comics such as social and political issues.

Internet speed is excruciatingly slow up here in Barrow; frequently taking upwards of 2-3 hours just to download an episode or a single issue comic. Because of that it's hard to hop around all the different venues which you guys are located on the internet (reddit, iTunes, etc.). Echoing some of the earlier sentiments it would be super helpful if there was a way you guys could include the show notes, especially highlighting specific titles, somewhere on the GoodReads group.

I really enjoy the way you guys talk about creators and other works they do as well as their involvement in other projects, comic related or not.

Thanks for the show!