Play Book Tag discussion

Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt, #1)
This topic is about Angela's Ashes
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Angela's Ashes by Frank mcCourt 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1588 comments Frank McCourt tells the story of his childhood through his departure from Ireland to America when he is 19. Frank was born in Brooklyn but mostly grew up in Limerick, Ireland. His family was extremely poor and his father an alcoholic who used most of the little money they had for drink. It took me awhile to get into the writing style because McCourt writes the beginning of the book as if it was written by a child. I mostly found the book depressing with small bits of humor. I am glad McCourt got out of Ireland and will likely read Tis in the future to see what happened to the rest of the family.

Anita Pomerantz | 6675 comments I'm pretty much alone in not loving this one . . .glad you enjoyed it!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2287 comments This was quite good in audio because Frank read it and I love the accent.

message 4: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments You're not Anita! I read it when it was first published and although ok I didn't love it. I thought I was alone!

message 5: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I wonder if I'd enjoy it now, with older eyes.

message 6: by Ladyslott (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book. I read it when it was first published and was "the" book to read. I found it very touching.