Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SIA Investigate > Books Go Social

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments Thank you, Joe. It's important to find these people out.

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 240 comments Wow. I didn't know all of this. I did try BGS when I published my first book and saw no effect on my sales, so I just... learned my lesson and moved on. They keep emailing me stuff, but I haven't even thought of using them again.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Books go social uses "at spam," a technique in which they spam people directly. I have blocked and reported each and every one of their accounts that has done this and I'm not the only one. Several of their Twitter accounts have been closed. All they do is open a new one.

Aside from being super annoying, it seems all of their spammy ads are directed at authors, not readers. I would avoid them at all cost.

message 4: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Yikes. Haven't heard of this outfit yet, but thanks for sharing.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Ugh. Ewww. Sorry you happened upon this "outfit". Glad to hear you're gonna get your money back. Thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Lentz (kalentz) | 57 comments Yeah, I ran with them once about two months back, after months of going back and forth asking questions about their helpful hints of which they were not at all helpful explaining. When they finally ran my ad on their site, they ordered it by date published, not the day-of and it threw me back into Dec, pages and pages past anywhere anyone would see it. It took a full day before it was properly filed. BGS also spammed the exact same sentence for a week and most of the time without a cover image. As with Joe, I gained zero sales, surprise.

I wish I had known about the SmartUrl, but I wasn't that smart. I had already decided never to go with them again, but this clinches it. Thanks for this post!

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1126 comments Thanks for sharing this! I'm surprised you got your money back, but glad you did. What a bunch of crooks!

message 8: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Thanks for posting, Joe. I've been thinking about using their services for a year or so now, but there has always been something that has ticked me off - usually the quite spammy twitter ads, but I had decided to finally make a go for it. Good thing that I saw this post before I actually threw away my money. Sorry that you had such a bad experience, but I'm happy that you got your money back.

message 9: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Yeah, my experience with them was pointless too. I tried when I first started a few years back. They promised they had thousands of Twitter users all waiting to hear about new books. Seems to me they just have many eager writers following them and you get nuffin'. :-(

message 10: by Tony (new)

Tony Duxbury | 27 comments Thanks for the warning.

message 11: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 22 comments Thanks for sharing. I've had my hem tugged by BGS but couldn't quite figure out what they were up to. Now I won't bother.

message 12: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Thanks for the advice! (Although I avoid such services myself.)
It really surprised me that you got you money back...

One thing: The country is Slovakia. (Just to respect every country's name...)

message 13: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Wow, thanks for this. I was totally looking at them.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Thompson (susanrussellthompson) | 2 comments You saved me some money! I had just paid for their service, but cancelled in time and got my money back. Thanks so much!

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Buckley (wantedhero) | 16 comments I sure do appreciate all your comments, because the timing is perfect. Then again, I have to smile at myself for finding this group and joining today as well =)

I've been working on rebuilding my website and in that, redoing some book marketing--and I have been watching BGS for a few months. Being online and blogging for 12 years now has taught me to be patient and to weigh options before jumping on anything.

This was the information I needed to confirm my own gut feelings and my interactions with them on Twitter.

You all saved me headaches and wallet pain, so thanks! =)

message 16: by Christina (last edited Jan 30, 2018 06:10AM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Laurence wrote: "We also tested Tweeting books to people who might read a genre, not just all our followers. Some people thanked us, but we stopped, as a few objected. We listened."

Perhaps eventually you listened, but the fact that you spammed me from several accounts and continued to make accounts after you were blocked does not show legitimacy. Your target audience should not be authors in the first place.

Neither does joining a group to comment on a years old post.

Laurence also wrote: I am the founder of BooksGoSocial. This is the first time I have seen this.

I would like to point out:

1. We do not click farm. We do send out a lot of Tweets, but do not have any way of generating extra clicks. I recently read an article by Jeff Bullas, the internet marketing guru, recommending a similar strategy on Twitter, sending lots of tweets, so it is not a strange thing to do. We also tested Tweeting books to people who might read a genre, not just all our followers. Some people thanked us, but we stopped, as a few objected. We listened.

2. SmartUrl, and other click counting sites have an issue with reporting clicks accurately. Test this incorrect reporting issue by creating a Goo.gl or Bit.ly short link and then when you get hits look at where they come from. There is a problem with hit tracking geographically and by click source with all hit counters I have seen. Test this.

The rest of this message has been deleted. As has been noted before, defending yourself is fine, but turning your defense into an ad for your service is not.

message 17: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments Christina wrote: "Laurence wrote: "We also tested Tweeting books to people who might read a genre, not just all our followers. Some people thanked us, but we stopped, as a few objected. We listened."

Perhaps eventu..."

Christina, authors are among the biggest buyers of books. The test was ok with a lot of people, but we stopped it. Is one test enough to weigh against everything else we do to help authors? I won't go on about all we do, but your allowing us to be labeled crooks, when we refunded this author is simply not right.

message 18: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments Christina wrote: "Laurence wrote: "We also tested Tweeting books to people who might read a genre, not just all our followers. Some people thanked us, but we stopped, as a few objected. We listened."

Perhaps eventu..."

Christina, I am also surprised you give us no credit for refunding this author when their promotion didn't work. How many book marketing services have you seen do this?

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) This was already discussed in the original post. Just because you did the right thing (which a very large number of other promo sites do with less fuss) does not mean we should praise you. My comments, both the original and what I just posted stand.

message 20: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments Please tell me a few of these sites, as I genuinely wasn't aware of that.

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) If you've read through the posts as you noted above, you'll see several instances of reputable sites who consistently produce results going above and beyond, including issuing refunds without being asked when a promotion doesn't yield satisfactory results. You'll also see several companies who advertise "guaranteed results or your money back" who have less than honest practices.

message 22: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments Apologies, there are a lot of posts in this forum. Which should I look in?

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) The search function is in the top right of this page.

message 24: by Laurence (last edited Jan 30, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments I see a lot of posts about promotions, but nothing about refunds after a promotion, not a review service or a canceled promotion.

Anyhow, so you are happy that we are branded "crooks" in your forum, despite refunding the author, and that you consider us illegitimate because of a test we ran two years ago?

Everthing BooksGoSocial has done, our writers conference, training, free services, - I'll stop there - it's all illegitimate to you?

You've judged us on that test. And that's it?

message 25: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
This is not the venue for this. As we don't recommend authors to attack those who give them negative reviews, insisting on arguing against a negative review of a service is also ill advised. This is a support group for indie authors.

Laurence, please accept that not everyone will be happy with what you do or how you go about doing it. We deal with this on a daily basis due to our strict rules and guidelines within our group. Not every poor review is worth battling. I have two kids at home - I long ago realize that the phrase "pick your battles" is a truly wise sentiment.

As the founder, I can assure you that as a group we have not labeled your business as anything. No memo has been sent out.

In addition, the original poster created this post over a year ago. There's no need for this to be continued. Topic locked.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.