The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3) The City of Mirrors question

What happened to Michael? - Spoilers
John John Jul 12, 2016 05:14AM
It seemed that all of the loose ends were nicely tied up, EXCEPT for Michael. The last we heard of him, he landed in Nantucket. and had his sights set on London. I was expecting him to eventually wind up with Alecia or turn into a hermit and write his story, but he just disappeared. I think a fitting end for him would have either:

1) he and Alecia settle down somewhere in the Northeast

2) Sail the Nautilus into a major storm for one last battle

I thought the same thing! I was hoping he would start a family. Maybe there a lost book of Michael.

I agree, Michael's story feels like a loose end, although I understand why his story ended like it did. Michael established himself as a loner and explorer, so in a way it was fitting. I just wish I knew what he found! It really strains the limits of imagination to say our group was the only survivors of the human race in the entire world.

As far as him ending up with Alicia: for me, his feelings for her came out of nowhere; I felt like although Cronin tried to say Michael had feelings since way back, it felt injected into this book (or was it The Twelve?) to lay the groundwork for that story line. Didn't really work for me.

evie I too did not like that Michael was not explained. His feelings for Alicia came out in The Twelve I think, but for me it doesn't work. Should had been ...more
Sep 21, 2016 02:47PM

Didn't the end of the book say something about an arctic explorer? I thought that might have been Michael?

By the way, Nantucket was probably an Easter egg for the Nantucket trilogy by S.M. Stirling. In it, Nantucket of 1998 gets swapped with Nantucket of 1250 BC; the series follows the Nantuckians in the Bronze Age. Meanwhile the Nantucket of the past becomes the central point for a major change in how the world works, as seen in the long-running Emberverse series by Stirling, starting with Dies the Fire.

I felt the same way. Plus, didn't Alicia die? Did I misinterpret what happened to her?

Gwen Goble-Bartzen Yes, she jumped off a building while she watched Michael sail away, she never told him she had survived the flood.
Aug 13, 2016 03:46PM · flag

I'm glad you brought this up. I was wondering the same thing. Thought I might have missed his ending.