The Pleasant Pioneer discussion

Little House in the Big Woods
This topic is about Little House in the Big Woods
Little House Series > Little House in the Big Woods

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby I doubt there is any other book in the world that gives me such a warm, fond feeling. What is your favorite story from this book? Do you like it as much as the others? Any thoughts you have are welcome!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Abby wrote: "I doubt there is any other book in the world that gives me such a warm, fond feeling. What is your favorite story from this book? Do you like it as much as the others? Any thoughts you have are wel..."

I really like the Bear-story, where Pa goes to the forest and sees the tree that looks like a bear...? (Didn't it go like that?)

Elsabet I always adored the parts about the food. I loved hearing or reading about Ma making all kinds of different foods. The cheese and the butter and the sausage. Laura was, in my opinion, the very best at describing food. I have yet to read her equal.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Elsabet wrote: "I always adored the parts about the food. I loved hearing or reading about Ma making all kinds of different foods. The cheese and the butter and the sausage. Laura was, in my opinion, the very best..."

Yes, the food! I've always wanted to make all those cornbreads and pies and pickles :-)

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby Felicity wrote: "Abby wrote: "I doubt there is any other book in the world that gives me such a warm, fond feeling. What is your favorite story from this book? Do you like it as much as the others? Any thoughts you..."

Yes, that's such a fun one! I also like when Ma walks up and slaps a bear, thinking its their cow!

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby Elsabet wrote: "I always adored the parts about the food. I loved hearing or reading about Ma making all kinds of different foods. The cheese and the butter and the sausage. Laura was, in my opinion, the very best..."

Oh yes, the food always sounds delicious! I like when Ma makes the butter prettier with carrot shavings and a butter press.

message 7: by Bethany (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Abby wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "I always adored the parts about the food. I loved hearing or reading about Ma making all kinds of different foods. The cheese and the butter and the sausage. Laura was, in my opinio..."

Oh yes, I totally agree! I love all those wonderful descriptions of food! I also really like the part where they go to town for the first time, and also when all the cousins and aunts and uncles come over.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Abby wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Abby wrote: "I doubt there is any other book in the world that gives me such a warm, fond feeling. What is your favorite story from this book? Do you like it as much as the others?..."

Oh yes, that was a good one! :-D

Bookworm | 5 comments Went to Laura and Almonzo's homeplace in Mansfield today!!

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Bookworm wrote: "Went to Laura and Almonzo's homeplace in Mansfield today!!"

Really? Wow, would I love to do that! What was it like?

Bookworm | 5 comments Lovely! I've been there two times before, but the last visit was almost four years ago; we toured the museum, then went into the home Almonzo built Laura, and toured it. Everything he built was just perfect for her size, the cabinets, bread-kneading table.. then we went and toured the Rock House Rose built for them. It was just like an English cottage, but very.. stiff? I mean, you could feel the love Almonzo had for Laura in their home, but Rose's home felt more like some place you would stay in to visit, not live. It was still pretty though.
It took Almonzo 18 years to finish their home as it stands today. Laura certainly liked the color green a lot! :) Her kitchen and bathroom were green, and the bedroom.

Emilee Ashline (eashline92) I love all the Little House books. I enjoy the show as well!!

Angie Hahn | 3 comments Abby wrote: "Elsabet wrote: "I always adored the parts about the food. I loved hearing or reading about Ma making all kinds of different foods. The cheese and the butter and the sausage. Laura was, in my opinio..."

Yes! Ma always likes to make things pretty and neat. I think about her often when I am doing my housework.