Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Sexism in Video-Gaming and Comic Book Stores

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kenna (new)

kenna A while ago I went to a video game store with my dad and siblings (all male other than the youngest - my sister). The man who worked there seemed nice at first; you could tell that he was really into gaming and I wanted to chat with him about it. He was being very friendly with my dad and answering all of his questions - but as soon as I asked him where a certain video game was or if it existed, he acted like I was an idiot. He seemed confused that I was asking a question and completely ignored me when I tried talking about other video games. It's the same type of situation with comic books/hero movies.

I'm so sick of some men thinking that women don't know how to play video games properly or are only watching super hero movies for the guys.

message 2: by Yona (new)

Yona (dovescanread99) Exactly!! Im so sick of people just 'assuming' that comic books/movies and hero movies are a 'boy thing'. It can be for girls as well!! My friend and I love all of the new Marvel/DC movies and Im hoping to read some of the comic books as well, when I manage to get hold of them. Same goes for gaming. It isn't supposed to be for a single gender, but over time, that is what it has, sadly become.

message 3: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie | 184 comments I've been very fortunate to never have had that experience and it makes me sad that you did. My gamer/comics/nerdstuff friends are almost entirely pro-equality and if you like fun stuff, you're in. I've been to a handful of comic shops and never felt discriminated against.

The reason I say this is because I know there are better shops out there who are staffed by way awesome people. Keep trying! The only way we'll get these boys used to us liking video games is to keep on playing!

message 4: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 6 comments Hello everybody!
I'd like to share my experience with you. For me it was almost the contrary. I'm not a big comic fan but I've been to some comics convention and everytime I talked with some boys or just asked for information, they looked very happy to see a girl who was interested to what they love, since in my country (Italy) this is seen as something that interests mainly boys. It is not because girls are not perceived as being "good" to play video games or stuff like that, but because they think that girls are not interested in it!
I remember that one day I was in one of those comic fairs with two girl friends of mine and some boys who were presenting a role game stopped us and asked if we wanted to join them since girls weren't interested in this game and they wanted to have more girls in their club.

message 5: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
There are a huge number of guys who seem to feel almost 'threatened' by the fact that a girl can like video games or comic books. I think they feel emasculated when a girl knows her stuff when they have been bought up believing it's for boys.

My friend is the biggest Marvel fan you will ever meet, she could tell you anything and everything about all of the characters in the Marvel Universe. In most cases she has received big respect from guys in comic book shops and chats geek with them all the time. But every now and then you get one who couldn't possibly talk to a GIRL about it. Dun DUN DUUUUUUUUUUNN.

message 6: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Good article - thanks :)

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertgilescampbell) Heres my experience with Video games and the woman in my life :)

Me and my wife when we started out were rather poor but we got our hands on a Super Nintendo. We played that thing together nearly every day! Was a great time. Now we do not play very often but every now and then we take that same old beat up Super Nintendo out of the closet and kick its butt. :)

On the topic though, there is nothing worse then being ignored, or being made to feel like an idiot. Been there before, and I really do not like asking questions because of it. I would rather spend 20 minutes online trying to figure something out then ask a question anymore.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (celticoracle) | 1 comments Been dealing with this since I was a kid collecting hockey cards "are these for your brother?" Um, no.

I'm always shocked when the condescending comes from comic and game shop workers. I had been a regular at our local comic shop for long enough that I would sit and talk geek with the guys working there pretty much every week. And then one day a couple of women walked in when I was browsing and I almost fell over at the tone the owner was using with these girls who were obviously new to comics - and he was recommending Archie and blockbuster movie tie-ins rather than good solid reads with strong female characters. :(

message 9: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments I have good experiences. In elementary school there was a boy who was interested in reading comic books and one day he saw that I kept looking at one of his comic books. So when recess came he told me if I wanted to I could read it. I also collected many trading cards with my two brothers, watched the X Men and Spider man cartoons with them during the weekends.
I used to watch my brother played video games and he did not mind me been there. I also played with him Super Mario Bros games, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter even though I was not good at playing them.
Then I found the. types of games I liked to play with which were RPG games and Adventure games. Video games were a big part of my childhood.

message 10: by Silvia (new)

Silvia I've had this type of experience with anime as well. Like any other shows, there are genres, but anime is anime in the end. So for some people, me liking comedy or romance is not a valid form of fandom, shonen is the only valid anime genre (like Naruto or Dragon Ball). This is very annoying and patronizing. Happens as well in video games, as if liking the sims or any tycoon made you less of a gamer.

message 11: by Kytriya (new)

Kytriya Luebeck | 49 comments I'm sorry when anyone goes through sexism or discrimination in any form. I've been waiting to find a Manga or Anime that just has conservatively dressed women who just kick. Its not about women dressing sexy while the men rule but instead its all about their skills (of the women) and the men are secondary characters. However, I'd rather it not be a Muslim book to make traditional "Orthodox" muslim "cool", as I do not agree with how some of them tend to treat their women, and do not wish to support that. (Not all Muslim are sexist!) I'd love it to be in English first, but then I'd love to get my hands on it in German, French, Italian, Japanese, Hebrew - languages I plan on learning in the next couple of years. I do know some German.

When I bought a couple Manga in Japanese, the employee was shocked, because they normally see me with anything but Manga. It wasn't a sexist thing here because I'm normally buying many of their clearance Foreign Language learning books, anything England or Jewish, or Bloomsbury Harry Potter (as opposed to the scholastic that is native to here.) Truth was, I always wanted to buy Manga in Japanese, but there was always books that I actually needed to buy first. Those manga books were in the clearance section for a dollar each. I've not learned Japanese yet, but will in the next 6 years or so.

message 12: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments I've not noticed it. I play Game of War: Fire Age. My alliance, teammates, are about half female, half male. About half of the leaders are female. We are respectful with each other I really think it just depends on the person you have to deal with.

message 13: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Kytriya wrote: "However, I'd rather it not be a Muslim book to make traditional "Orthodox" muslim "cool", as I do not agree with how some of them tend to treat their women, and do not wish to support that. (Not all Muslim are sexist!)"

I'm having a bit of a hard time with this quote. What if I were to replace Muslim with Christian, Jew, Hindu, white man, white woman, Asian man, Asian woman, African-American man, African-American woman, South-American man, South-American woman, and so on? Or how about poor person, rich person, non-English speaking person, disabled person, etc.? It just doesn't sound right to single out a whole group like that when there are rotten eggs in all these other groups, too.

message 14: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 7 comments For me: I've never had a problem. One of my former frequent places (Laughing Ogre in Columbus OH) was very accepting of everyone: male female and even children. Heck, they had two women on staff. But when I did casually ask one of the female employees about this sort of thing, she did tell me she had encountered a few guys who would quiz her on her knowledge of Marvel characters and criticized her if she got anything wrong. It was rare, but for the most part, the men are pretty accepting

message 15: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie | 184 comments Emma wrote: "Aimee wrote: "For me: I've never had a problem. One of my former frequent places (Laughing Ogre in Columbus OH) was very accepting of everyone: male female and even children. Heck, they had two wom..."

I live in a college town near Washington, DC. Pokemon GO is HUGE here. I can watch people playing from my apartment windows, there are multiple gyms/pokestops on the bike trail that goes all around the DC area and there's always people at them. The National Mall and monuments are SO BUSY at night right now...I've never seen anything like it.

And what's best is that I've seen zero sexism. Some friends and I (3 guys, 2 girls) spent Saturday night walking around the monuments playing Pokemon and so many people talked to us, it really felt like a judgement free space. We met people of a variety of ages and genders.

In my limited experience, this seems like a game that doesn't have much sexism involved...and I love that. (Disclosure: I knew nothing about Pokemon til a week ago. My sister liked it when we were kids, therefore I decided it was lame and had nothing to do with it.)

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim I think there definitely is sexism going on in many a part of the gaming community (which, make no mistake, is vast and by no means one-sided). Whilst I don't play Pokémon Go, I am pleased to know the community is more welcoming to women. I assume the reason for this is the fact that it is played on the smartphone as opposed to PC or any console (consoles being something often considered to be a guy thing), but I hope this welcomingness will transition onto those platforms soon enough.

message 17: by Kytriya (new)

Kytriya Luebeck | 49 comments Aglaea wrote: "Kytriya wrote: "However, I'd rather it not be a Muslim book to make traditional "Orthodox" muslim "cool", as I do not agree with how some of them tend to treat their women, and do not wish to suppo..."

My problem is with banning females from the Vitamin D from the Sun they need, Female genital mutilation, under educating their females. If their females had almost the same rights as the men, then I wouldn't be as offended. And for the record, I also avoid KKK media, and other media from sources who practice blatant discrimination that is too horrific. I even avoid media from that Baptist church of Hate. So, I am not really just signalling out Muslims. And not all Muslims are this way, and I do not avoid their stuff. I even compliment them on their burkhas too. (Spelling? Sorry!)

message 18: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie | 184 comments Tim wrote: "I think there definitely is sexism going on in many a part of the gaming community (which, make no mistake, is vast and by no means one-sided). Whilst I don't play Pokémon Go, I am pleased to know ..."

You make a good point about consoles being considered a guy thing. Especially the new systems. It's like there's an unspoken rule that girls can like vintage systems and cell phone games, but the new stuff is for boys.

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim Sherrie wrote: "Tim wrote: "I think there definitely is sexism going on in many a part of the gaming community (which, make no mistake, is vast and by no means one-sided). Whilst I don't play Pokémon Go, I am plea..."

Indeed. While I don't know anyone who owns a vintage console and so can't tell what people's attitudes are towards girls liking them, it seems to me that contemporary consoles are always made out to be for boys, even in the days when these vintage ones were contemporary. When I was in primary school and we had one of those particular days where we were allowed to bring handheld games, I don't particularly remember a single girl bringing one. The Nintendo DS had already come along then, but I don't think that many girls in my class caught on with it yet. As I went through middle school and high school I started noticing people playing together on school trips on the bus, except they weren't the "nerdy" kids; they were what you might call the popular ones. I knew one or two nerdy ones who played two but they played only with each other or alone, though I'd imagine that was because they played on the 3DS (are the two compatible? I don't know).

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (ticorah) Sexism in gaming is rampant. I play daily and deal with it regularly. I don't think it will be as bad with Pokemon Go because it is a mobile based game and encounters (so far) are largely in person. (Also, the skill to play is pretty universal regardless of age/gender which also will limit what happened.) The abuse is amplified when it isn't in person, and certainly when a female outperforms in a game.

message 21: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Tracy Wrote: "Sexism in gaming is rampant."

There does seem to be a section of IT in general that is sexist generally around women being more successful. Pathetic really and there are no excuses,

The games environments / providers particularly need to be more active in addressing this.

accounts that abuse women should be blocked and even characters terminated. Blocking or removing an account has much more effect in gaming than social media so it could be effective deterrent.

message 22: by Mysteryissolved (new)

Mysteryissolved | 2 comments With how it seems to sell best, supported by Mulvey's theory of "male gaze", I sometimes can't help but feel it's a losing battle in this commercial world against the sexist angle that is honestly in both men and women- only it appears (maybe I'm unintentionally biased) to be more aggressive towards women.
Comics, I try to just think of it as a confidence of natural embodiment and embracing the feminine touch that is only ONE of the aspects of the gender, because if I don't then it just creates more anger personally. .

message 23: by Mysteryissolved (new)

Mysteryissolved | 2 comments I wish I could explain myself properly, but this comment was a spur of the moment, and I have problems putting my thoughts which I swear is so much better into actually written views. Grrrrr so frustrating.

All in all, genders have been established for years, and we are so blessed that it's being contradicted more publicly and confidently in some societies now. We can only hope it continues to spread.

message 24: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments mysteryissolved wrote: "supported by Mulvey's theory of "male gaze"

This is a potent force and does influence everything for art to media, in fact it is the basis of most advertisement.

The problem is best seen in games and social media "new" environment when equality would have been exspected to have been built in. but it clearly was not

Still it is highlighted better these days the inequity between gender representation is not just ignored or seen as inevitable. The key is getting women involved in all aspects on line from coding the sites to input content on line. progress is slow but steady and educating girls in school on what it and is not acceptable will help.

An example of this was by the documentarian Lucy Walker who made a short film on teaching girls about emoji and using them positively to express there feelings. A step in shaping the way the world is viewed, from there perspective and not through a filter of male gaze.

message 25: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Ross wrote: "accounts that abuse women should be blocked and even characters terminated. Blocking or removing an account has much more effect in gaming than social media so it could be effective deterrent."

This is a valid point. If a person plays for real and levels up quite nicely, it would be horrible to have all that taken away because of bratty behaviour. Wonder why they aren't doing more?

I used to game a bit until I decided it was too big a time-suck for me personally, but I still enjoy the idea of them immensely. The ex found it "cute" when we played some stuff together, and it didn't bother me that much. Had I been serious about the craft, I most likely would have been a bit pissy about the cute factor, when there's nothing cute about guys who game, they just play. Oh well.

message 26: by Johann (new)

Johann Hey, just a question do any of you know For Petes' sake comics ? I think they are hilarious, and they make me laugh. But I am afraid that these laughters are because of women oppression worldwide.

Of course I don't want my laughs to be a reason for the oppression of women especially in the US and the West.

Should I lose this kind of humor ?

Thanks everyone

message 27: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments I played mostly handheld games. I had the Game Boy Color, the Game boy Advance, and then later the Nintendo DS, and the Nintendo Ds Lite, and the Nintendo DSI. Most of the games I liked were Adventure games, and RPG games but I was bad at playing them. As for consoles my parents would buy us the consoles such as the Playstation and Nintendo 64 and we all played the games. My brothers always let me play with them and they would let me see how they played video games. One of my brothers is really good at playing video games and I have pretty good memories of watching him and almost games like Final Fantasy VII, driving around Grand Theft Auto and making sure the police would not arrest one. Now I watched videos of the games that I like, and some of them are funny.

message 28: by James (new)

James Corprew While i know this thread is more about what women face when playing video games and going into stores i just had a very cool moment with a particular game that i play. Not sure who here is familiar with World of Warcraft (im letting some of my nerdiness out now) but with the latest expansion getting ready to take off soon there was a cinematic scene where the position of Warchief gets turned over to a woman.

In the below video Vol'jin the current Warchief has taken a fatal blow during the previous battle and despite his past mistrust with Lady Sylvana decides to make her Warchief before he passes away. Lady Sylvanas is one of my favorite characters from WoW and i got uber excited when i watched this. Ok, nerdiness is done but check it out if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unpph...

message 29: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Aug 11, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Savannah (dssharris) | 321 comments Mod
I spend a lot of my free time gaming after work, so I thought that I might share some of my experiences here.

For the majority of the time, I experience very kind gamers. Male and female alike. Of course, everyone usually assumes I am a male at first, my gamer tag not being very gender specific. I do not mind this though because most of the games I play are ones which males are usually the dominant gender in. I am not making excuses for them, I am just saying I am used to it. That everyone - even other females - assume I am male when we cross paths in the gaming world is something which needs to change as it is a symptom of underlying issues to do with gender and stereotypes.

It is a thing which I believe I need to change within myself as well. As a female gamer, I am still always surprised when I hear another female over team speak. I am always surprised when I find another female gamer in the lobby which I am in if I did not pick their gender by their name, and even sometimes when I do, I am surprised. It feels very wrong of me to act this way, but it is unavoidable when I am playing with male gamers 90% of the time and subconsciously expect this to stay that way. Times are changing though and I am slowly working on not assuming everyone around me is a male just because of the game type and gamer tag.

However, with every game and every gaming community, you have the idiots. The rude ones. The totally sexist misogynists. It is unavoidable to join lobbies and have the first thing you hear me, "I wanna f**k her in the p**sy!" The constant talk of sex is sickening at times when all you want to do is relax and chill with a few mates, maybe shoot a few of the enemy team (if you're good enough at the game, anyway). You have people who, once they discover you are a female, ask if you're a virgin, if you have a boyfriend, if you want to suck their d**k. All lovely stuff, as I'm sure you can imagine.

The latter is one of the reasons why I don't publicly advertise I am a female gamer while in the gaming world. My name, while not originally intended to be gender neutral, is now something of a welcome disguise as I can avoid most of the nasty, dirty comments without any additional work on my part. Do I believe that a lot of female gamers bring the dirty comments on themselves by their gamer tags? No, because they did not ask to hear what they hear. Do I roll my eyes when I see certain gamer tags, like "GamerGirl5" or "xBabyDollx"? Yes, I do. It is probably something else which I need to change about myself, but hey, one thing at a time.

message 30: by Tim (new)

Tim Savannah! Hi! I haven't seen you on here in what feels like ages. :D

I'm sorry you have to put up with these kinds of guys though. And then there's people who think feminists are ruining games... ugh, to think I kind of was one of them. Anyway I myself have long since stopped playing online, but whenever I would, I'd always mute everyone straightaway (I didn't have a headset anyway). I know it's a half-ass excuse for advice, but I think most people only use headsets to communicate with friends, as opposed to randoms. Of course, if you yourself want to give randoms the benefit of the doubt and hope they might communicate with you in a friendly way, then more power to you. I'm sure you'll find nice people to play with that way (though not without having to wade through the jerkoffs, I presume). As for the gamertags you mentioned, I remember being somewhat eye-rolley as well at the time, but I can't help but think maybe some of these girls use those gamertags so as to effectively burst that bubble of "girls can't be gamers". I don't fault you for not making your sex evident in your gamertag, obviously, but I have to admit that if all girls were to do that, the male gamers wouldn't really notice that girls are playing and so they will continue to assume the people in the lobby are male, so it doesn't exactly help tackle the problem, I would say.

Just for curiosity's sake though, what games do you play and on what platform? As an offline (Xbox 360) player, I know plenty of good single player games, if ever you feel like getting away from the online stuff for a moment and/or want to play a game for its story. ^^

message 31: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Jessica Wrote: "my DAD has these stereotypes in his head about me"

I could be he (your dad) is reaching out may suspect something or just trying to bond all be it in a clumsily way. Just a thought.

Savannah and Tim wrote: "with every game and every gaming community, you have the idiots. The rude ones. "

this is an excellent opportunity for HeforShe men to step up if you are a male gamer and not sexist (I suspect most are not) then stand up give the women space. We want a world when women can give themselves fun names and not have lot of nonsense heaped on them. Maybe have a mixed team with all players using female names turn the tables perhaps.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments I've been a gamer for over a decade and very rarely receive those kinds of comments - now. I definitely used to but I think perhaps times are changing and it's becoming more normal for women to game.

That being said; Twitch TV. Youtube. If you have a girl on there streaming a game, you will see many comments about her varying degrees of "hotness." And, you'll also note, female streamers get double the viewers and followers than male streamers, simply because men can ogle them. We still have a long way to go.

message 33: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Just popping in! I'll be able to respond to y'all who addressed my post this afternoon. However I did stumble across this link and thought you might like to see it. Always thinking of my OSS family over here. ^^

https://www.facebook.com/GamerGuysand...

message 34: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Savannah wrote: "link"

Interesting given the findings put your kids on OSS and they will be A students for sure... maybe :)

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 149 comments As a woman who has been interested in comics and video games since I was a little girl, I also haven't experienced much of the way of blowback from boys or men regarding my interests. Most of my guy friends were okay with it. Every now and then I would get a random saying "I don't know any girls who...". It never seemed to offend me because I realized that in their lived experience that was true. I countered that not by telling them they were wrong but by saying 'now you have,' 'nice to meet you,' and shaking hands. May have been a little cheesy, but it seemed to work fine.

message 36: by Lily (new)

Lily (inquisitorlily) | 0 comments I got into gaming via my girl family members so I didn't encounter any real pushback from guys until I got older. Admittedly I do feel a bit strange when I'm the lone girl in the gaming store, but it doesn't bother me too much. Gamergate having happened a few years ago now, I'm very cautious when I engage with anyone online. Wish that wasn't the case, but I do feel the need to be careful these days.

message 37: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Things do seem better in comic and games shops. But still an issue. What would be the advice, what can women and men do to make this stop.

Maybe the store owners can help have equal number of posters witn male and female images. Games covers could slso be more gender neutral. Would that make sense.

message 38: by kenna (new)

kenna Jessica wrote: my DAD has these stereotypes in his head about me

I totally get what you mean, my dad can be the same way! I can never play video games in the same room as him because he's immediately correcting everything that I do.

message 39: by Tim (new)

Tim kenna wrote: "Jessica wrote: my DAD has these stereotypes in his head about me

I totally get what you mean, my dad can be the same way! I can never play video games in the same room as him because he's immediat..."

Being mansplained... about video games... by your DAD? I don't know what to say other than: I am so, so sorry.

message 40: by kenna (new)

kenna Tim wrote: "kenna wrote: "Jessica wrote: my DAD has these stereotypes in his head about me

I totally get what you mean, my dad can be the same way! I can never play video games in the same room as him because..."

I KNOW RIGHT xD

message 41: by Sonya (new)

Sonya | 1 comments I have been very fortunate in that my comic book shop is staffed by a women and men that treat all customers like friends and are happy to talk shop via various games/comic book characters and anything in general. The comic book industry cannot afford to be sexist to women since their stores have to compete with cheaper prices online.

message 42: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Here is a brief update on my experiences with sexism in gaming:

If anyone has heard of CSGO (Counter Strike: Global Offensive), they will know that in competitive mode, there is a very small chance of being able to forfeit. There is a surrender option, though it requires everyone on the team vote for the game to end.

Basically, once you're in, you're in. And you can't get out without getting some type of ban for doing so.

Reporting people who are sexist or offensive towards you does very little while you are in game, so if you face rough verbal treatment in this game, not only does it ruin your mood, it ruins the experience.

You can mute people and report, but that can result in you missing important call outs. It ruins the game.

As of late I have had two bans, both lasting one week long. The first was because a male friend of mine suggested we leave a competitive match of CSGO because of how the other males on the team were treating me. A team consists of five players, so three of my own team were saying some of the following:

"Feminism is the cancer of the world."
"Women are the cancer of the world."
"Shut the fuck up, women, you aren't allowed to speak."
"Women need to remember their place."

Something you can understand I would not find to be pleasant. Not to mention that they were attacking my character, which obviously results in death and therefore ruins the game in more than just communication areas.

The second ban is because I got kicked out of a competitive game too soon after my first week long ban ended. Why did I get kicked? Simple; I am a girl. I was with the same friend I was with when I got the first ban, so you may be asking how did I get kicked? I told him to vote with the three other team mates. Why? Because this is what I heard for the first quarter of the game:

"Oh my gosh, you're a girl, I bet you love the attention you get from guys in this game."
"I vet you only play for the attention."
"I bet you're fucking ugly."

As well as, predictably, some of the aforementioned comments from my first ban.

When people think about sexism in gaming, the first thing they think about is the over-sexualisation of female characters. I understand that. However, I would like to remind everyone that not all games are like that.

Overwatch is a fantastic example of successful gaming. The women, for the most part, are dressed appropriately (and I say for the most part because having all of them dressed conservatively is simply not realistic, as not everyone in real life dresses that way). Secondly, they have an openly LGBTQ female character.

I bring this up because this is not where I see the problem in gaming. I see the problem in how male gamers can perceive female gamers. I see this in how female gamers, myself included, can be treated by male gamers.

Female gamers make up around 50% of the gaming community, and the reason people either do not know this or chose not to acknowledge this is because a lot of female gamers feel the need to hide their gender. Female gamers often play male characters in MMO games in an attempt to avoid being taken as a girl. Why? Because female gamers receive a lot of harassment.

This is more a rant than anything else, but I hope it can give people something to think about. How exactly can we target male gamers and make them realize that women are not the enemy? I hear a lot of people say to me that I should just ignore what they say, that I should brush it off. They have no lives, they probably live in their mother's basements, yada yada yada.

But when has ignoring a problem ever solved a problem?

message 43: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ever notice how statistics on female gamers change all the time though? One website says only around 20% of gamers are female, another says we make up over 50% of the gamer population. A reliable set of facts would be real nice, lol.

message 44: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

message 46: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments I think you are right Savannah, you should not ignore it. This casual sexism is insidious also shows why feminism is necessary now more than ever. Why these young men think it is OK even jest to say things like that. Cultural change is happening but the pressure must be kept up.

message 47: by Finn (new)

Finn Sheather | 16 comments This is a very interesting topic to talk about on my perspective as I do play a lot of video games. There is a lot that needs to be changed in the video game world to promote gender equality yet there are some steps being taken towards this. For example in a game released about 3 years ago which is called Call of Duty: Ghosts was the first Call of Duty Game to introduce female characters which exactly the same privileges as the men characters. However women are still heavily sexualised in many games such as Grand Theft Auto and they are definitely looked down upon in the game which is horrible and needs to change.