Six-Gun Snow White Flash read discussion

Six-Gun Snow White
This topic is about Six-Gun Snow White
Discussion > Part VI: Snow White Rides a Star

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

carol. | 41 comments "What happens to the West happens to Snow White, which is to say they both turn into jokes. They both get told so often, they become pantomime. And then worse."

Athena (athenapn) | 22 comments (view spoiler)

carol. | 41 comments Okay, what was that ending? Although it did not work for me, strangely I'm not mad about it either--it is like an entirely different book. Leap into the future? And physics researcher? Whaaaat? I'm so confused. That made absolutely no sense to me. None. Like there was some motif about possibility and probability? Wishing upon a star? And discovering a nebula or some such? Just... odd. It would have sat better if she would have become a movie star (performing), or an animal trainer, or president of the Sierra Club, or a mountaineer.

I was very intrigued before that with her relationship (or lack thereof) with the Deer-Brother. That's another fairy tale reference I believe, and I thought it quite powerful he both kissed her and tried to give her his heart--literally.

Athena (athenapn) | 22 comments and I think Deer Boy was also the elderly profession who walked oddly with a cane, the one she waved to when at school. Though I can't really fit much of anything in the ending with what's gone before.

Is Valente saying that all real fairy tales end up in reality? Or something like that … ??? Very odd ending!

carol. | 41 comments I'm inclined to down rate it just because of this section.

message 6: by Carly (last edited Jul 22, 2016 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 9 comments Coyote Rides a Star" involves hubris, a freeze, and a fall.

I didn't like this section either. I get that she's defying the fairy tale ending, and I found one line very powerful:

"Snow White becomes an object."

Throughout the story, I feel like she loses the empathetic link with the reader formed in the first section until, in the end, she is an object, and then a stranger.

The iron shoes are a reference to the way the wicked stepmother was punished, but I don't understand the connection to astronomy.

I found it very disorienting. And dissatisfying.

carol. | 41 comments Ah, yes. We switch narrative styles again and go to a very distant point of view, not really connecting her to anyone.

Irony: she ended in a box... until somehow random circumstance freed her and released her into a time period of no obligations? No story? No history? No constraints? Hmm, that may be where she was going with it. Astronomy/To the Stars being infinite possibilities to create her own story since she outlived the prior one.

I missed the iron shoes. That showed up in a lot of fairy tales (particularly applied when hot for punishment).

Ok, now I might like it a little better now that I think about it in terms of changing/re-writing narrative and Snow getting to write her own.

Thanks, Carly!