Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > excellent children's books available in the United States but aren't likely to be available in England

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Jul 11, 2016 04:50PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments This book or couple books would be given to a boy about 6 months old, though I am not putting this post in the age specific thread because I'm fine with getting books he will have to grow into.

The main thing is that I don't know what books they already have and I'm trying to get a book/books that they're unlikely to know about or at least ones they don't already own.

They live in England. I live in the U.S.

These people are vegan so no books about zoos, circuses, or that focus on animal derived foods/goods.

Thanks for any suggestions.

message 2: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6832 comments Mod
Hm. Gundula, I know that you've had trouble getting some of the group reads just because you live in Canada - maybe you can suggest something for Lisa's recipient?

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8775 comments Mod
It goes both ways, there are also many excellent books available in the UK that are not available in North America.

There will always be possible issues with getting a book that the recipient(s) already own.

Are you going to be mailing this book to them, Lisa? Because if yes, perhaps a book for toddlers on San Francisco and its environs might be fun (like a simple alphabet or counting book with an SF theme). I will have to check if something like that exists, and get back to you.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Jul 11, 2016 05:31PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments There are good San Francisco books, Gundula. But I'm not sure a book like that will ever mean much to him. His parents have been here. I saw here last year but the boy??? Maybe.

Yes I will be mailing the book.

Thanks, Gundula. That's a good idea though! We have some great Independent bookstores here and they all have children's sections. They do know many San Francisco people though so a SF book isn't a sure bet.

Thanks, Gundula and Cheryl.

And yes it kills me how many British and Canadian books I can't get here, unless I order them from there.

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8775 comments Mod
Make Way for Ducklings could also work, even though it is about Boston.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Manybooks wrote: "Make Way for Ducklings could also work, even though it is about Boston."

It's a great book, yes. You think it's little known in England? I think of it as such a famous book.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments It's sold at amazon.com/uk.

It doesn't have a huge amount of reviews over the various editions but it does have some.

I think I'll go to a bookstore tomorrow and see what I can find.

I still welcome all suggestions.

message 8: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 11, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thank you, Gundula! I'll check them all out.