What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Caller of Light
This topic is about Caller of Light
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Book with dragon shifters or dragon riders, think the female MC is given away by her father and her (deceased) mother may have been something special... [s]

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments I can't remember much about this book - I think there's a girl who has either tamed wild dragons or rides them? Her father (King maybe?) has an estate and is visited by a group of men - these were either dragon shifters or dragon riders. The girl ends up leaving with them, I think her father sells her or gives her away or marries her off.

They travel to another place and on the way I think she starts to learn something about her mothers heritage. I can't remember anything else including the cover.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The Dragonriders of Pern Possibly one of this series

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments No, this isn't it. But I now kind of want to read this. Silver lining and all that!!

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 841 comments No dragons, but maybe The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. A prequel set in the same country is called The Hero and the Crown, which features a dragon-killing heroine.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36060 comments Mod
The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley - Sue's suggestions

message 6: by Krista (new)

Krista | 148 comments I remember almost nothing about this series, but maybe the Dragon Chronicles by Susan Fletcher? There are definitely girls who can communicate with dragons, which I think is part of some familial legacy.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Dragon Chronicles by Susan Fletcher - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4168... - Krista's suggestion

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Nope - but again. Have added that to my 'want to read list'.

It's driving me mad that I can't remember more about this book . . .

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Bump . . . no other ideas people?! :-(

message 10: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments Same author as Dragonriders of Pern, but three different books: Dragonsong, then Dragonsinger, then Dragondrums? A girl has a gift for music, but where she lives only men make music. Her father makes her stop, so she runs away to a cave and ends up taming small fire dragons, and meets the dragonriders. She isn't herself a dragonrider, but has the fire dragons as companions, and she can read their moods and they can read hers. Her father is the head of the clan, and she suspects he didn't look for her very much when she ran away.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemac11) | 10 comments I've read all the Pern books and I'm fairly certain it's not any of them. Memories can get muddled, of course, but it doesn't ring a bell for the plots of any of Anne's books.

Possible The Elvenbane? It's been a while since I read it so I don't remember everything about it.

message 12: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1239 comments Long shot, but maybe take a look at Irene Radford's books, she's got a whole bunch of dragon ones.

message 13: by Jules (new)

Jules | 5 comments Hillary wrote: "Same author as Dragonriders of Pern, but three different books: Dragonsong, then Dragonsinger, then Dragondrums? A girl has a gift for music, but where she li..."
Not sure what book this would be, but it's probably not Elvenbane (much as I love it) -- would definitely recommend checking it out if you can't find your original topic.

message 14: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 956 comments Perhaps DragonSpell and the sequels? She is a slave girl who finds a dragon egg and sent to the king to become a dragon trainer or something like that.

When did you read these books? And was it new at the time or older? Just having a general idea would help narrow down the search.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ok, I'm going to offer another suggestion, even though I am fairly certain that this is NOT the series. The Dragonian Series by Adrienne Woods. Firebolt is the first book in the series. (5 books, 2 short stories and the series is finished now.) The first book has been free on Amazon and B&N for the past couple of days, but I don't know if it still is or not. But you can check it out to see.

message 16: by Megan Doreen (new)

Megan Doreen | 27 comments Could it be Dragon's Keep by Janet Lee Carey? A princess gets carried off by dragons in that one and discovers things about her mother's heritage. It is one in a series, but this title sounds the most like the one you describe...

message 17: by Kris (new)

Dragon's Keep by Janet Lee Carey - Megan's suggestion

message 18: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Here's a couple where they're friends with or ride dragons:
Joust
The Elvenbane

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments None of these are what im thinking of. Though many of them have been added to my 'want to read' list.

I read the book within the last two years, but I have no clue when it was published. I think during the journey thr h wanders off and have some sort of mystical experience and people are like 'wow, yo'reur the daughter of ****!?' And are excited about it. But again, I could be muddling my books.

message 20: by Sakuralionheart (new)

Sakuralionheart | 42 comments There's a book called The Dragon's Price, which apparently has the heroine run off to and/or attempt to slay dragons, rather than be married off. Could this be it? The description doesn't entirely match, but you never know? :D

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Sakuralionheart wrote: "There's a book called The Dragon's Price, which apparently has the heroine run off to and/or attempt to slay dragons, rather than be married off. Could this be it? The description d..."

Nope, but it sounds interesting!!

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Bump . . .

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Bumping since Hayley posted recently.

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Bumping because I'm still hoping to find this book!

message 25: by L J (new)

L J You might take a look at books in G.A. Aiken Dragon Kin series. Some are dragons who can shift to human, some turn out to be not as human as they seem on the surface, daughters of something other than human or are dragon offspring of surprising dragon parent.

message 26: by 0possum (new)

0possum | 71 comments Have you looked at First Truth and the rest of the series? I think that series has one book that has the dragon/shifter situation you mentioned. The main character does go on a quest to find her mother's magical heritage in the first book. So there are bits and pieces that fit. First Truth

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments L J wrote: "You might take a look at books in G.A. Aiken Dragon Kin series. Some are dragons who can shift to human, some turn out to be not as human as they seem on the surface, daughters of ..."

Love the G.A Aiken books - it's not one of those! Thanks though!

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments 0possum wrote: "Have you looked at First Truth and the rest of the series? I think that series has one book that has the dragon/shifter situation you mentioned. The main character does go on a quest to find her mo..."

Thanks - it's not First Truth. I'm pretty sure the Mother is dead in the book I'm thinking of.

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Thought I'd give this a bump in the hope that it'll ring bells.

I was discussing my hunt for this book the other day with someone and thought I'd remembered that it starts with her in a field or woods - possibly with a dragon and she guys she ends up going off with are seen flying overhead. Though I could just be confusing this with another book.

message 30: by L J (new)

L J In Dragonflight (Pern Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey Dragonflight Lessa is with a type of dragon used as the equivalent of watch dogs when the dragonriders arrive recruiting. She is legitimate heir but usurper is in control. She is one of the very rare people who can speak with all dragons and she does leave with the dragonriders.

Hayley (luckyducky917) | 113 comments Found this by accident! It was Caller of Light. Not Dragons - Critons (bloody Dragons!!)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...