U of Penn - FRES Reading discussion

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
Monthly Reads - June > General Discussion - Characters

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl S (cherylsmi) | 16 comments Akhmed, Haava, Sonja, Natasha, Khassan, and Ramzan. Do you care about any of them? Whom do you find particularly sympathetic? Has your opinion about any of the characters changed over the course of the book?

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Wunder | 15 comments What a bunch of complicated people. I will give the author credit that none of her characters were one-dimensional. I wanted to care more about the little girl, Haava, but I just didn't. I think the book was primarily about saving her, she was never my focus as the reader. I was much more interested in the story of Sonja and Natasha.

The author tried to make Ramzan a sympathic character, I think by describing what happened to him at the Landfill, but it didn't work for me. I found him despicable no matter what. You don't turn on your friends, your community, like that. He should have run away instead of being an informer and I bet no one would have missed him.

This book had a very complicated plot line, but I thought the author tied it all up very well. If I have time, I might give it a 2nd read as I am sure I missed some things.