UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 40 comments Has anyone used Wattpad to publish short stories? If so what has been your experience of the platform?

Thanks
Tim

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 40 comments Thanks, Kath. Good info. I think I'll give Wattpad a miss :)

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4555 comments Tim wrote: "Has anyone used Wattpad to publish short stories? If so what has been your experience of the platform?"

I had a short story featured there (Too Late, a prequel for my debut novel) I'm about to fix a new cover for and put on Amazon. It got 64K 'reads,' which corresponds to 10-20,000 people who read the whole story, more or less. Free, of course. I have a lot of nice comments.

I serialized the novel, Pride's Children, I published last Oct. Some of the comments and the other writers there gave me several good quotes for the marketing.

I think most of the readers are going to mobiles, because commenting has gone way down (tiny inconvenient keyboards?), and I've also noticed a lot less author interaction on the places I normally go.

But it was very supportive when I needed it, and I'd say all in all it was a good experience; not so sure I'd try it now, but that's true of so many things.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 40 comments Thanks, Alicia. Your wisdom is appreciated. It is a juggling act nowadays as to which platform to use to create exposure... We battle on. Have you looked at medium.com ? That looks interesting... :)

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4555 comments Tim wrote: "Thanks, Alicia. Your wisdom is appreciated. It is a juggling act nowadays as to which platform to use to create exposure... We battle on. Have you looked at medium.com ? That looks interesting... :)"

I checked it out, and was puzzled for a while. Then I realized that what they call 'stories,' I call 'non-fiction opinion pieces.'

Stories means fiction to me, not my opinion plus a little research plus some writing and throw in a picture.

And I don't give the proverbial rat's behind about other people's opinions about my opinions, so the idea of people doing what their little introductory video shows is completely alien to me.

I blog - that has worked out well for me: I put out my experience with something, say, like editing software - anyone who chooses to read gets my information. Some of my readers chat about the topic, ask questions, or add bits of their own - and I don't have that many readers - but I'm primarily a fiction writer, not a pseudo newspaper writer.

Interesting bits, but not my kind of place.

The fiction - that is entirely composed in my head and recorded on my computer and under my complete control. Period.

Medium seems to mix readers and writers and ideas. I prefer my boundaries. I don't do Twitter, either - same thing, only in shorter bits.

Also, except for a few ideas I have and hold strongly - about fiction being one of the underused ways of presenting complex ideas and getting past the barriers humans erect - 'exposure' as a writer on the non-fiction topics of the day isn't going to get me in contract with people who like my kind of fiction.

Wattpad is fiction, mostly. Exposure there was to readers (and a few other writers) of fiction.

Thanks for making me go look at medium again; I had a vague memory of something like what I found today, and I remember someone saying something about using it, but the specifics were not clear. It was on my 'check some day' list.

message 7: by Tim (last edited Jul 12, 2016 02:16AM) (new)

Tim Rees | 40 comments I'm finding Medium quite good for creating interest in me and as we both know, the big publishing houses market the author not the book. Readers tend to have their favourite authors and stick with them. I'm guilty of that as well. I'm currently writing a non-fiction piece for Medium and we'll see how it goes...

Another place you might like to take a look at is https://dacunha.global