Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Looking for a Project? > Romance topic tags in titles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 205 (205 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Krazykiwi (last edited Sep 14, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Want a project but worn out on the romance or tired of looking at naked man chests on covers? Try the Cozy Mysteries thread instead.

There are a million of these, but there's some of the really common ones. Just search for any of the terms below with the title selection checked and you'll find them. Often the first page or two of results are real titles, so skip a few pages, then pick any of the authors and there's usually a good couple of hours work just cleaning their book list. It's often easiest to work from the combine page directly.

What needs doing:
1) Remove the topic tags from the books.
2) Lots of them have bogus series info, strip that out too, but quite a few of these prolific romance authors do in fact write in series, so be careful.
3) Check the titles left over actually match the covers, they quite often don't.
4) Lots of these have publishers as authors (primary or secondary), you can usually figure out from a look inside who the real author is, or if they're secondary just remove them.
5) Mountains of combining once you're done with all that. A lot of these have the same books published under several different titles, so that's always fun. I've taken to putting a librarian note with the names of the protags as I'm cleaning the titles, and then matching those up later and removing all but one of the notes.

Search terms:

BBW
BWWM
BWAM
Shifter (also Werewolf Werebear .. I once found a Weremouse/dragon romance but usually only wolves bears make it to the titles)
Mail Order / bride
Historical
SEAL
Western
Paranormal
Vampire
Alpha
New Adult
Contemporary
Amish
Billionaire
MILF
GILF
clean western
clean Christian
clean romance
alien
Victorian
regency
college cheerleader (also roommate)
nerd, student (and nerd student)
bisexual
first time

Romance - although there's lots of legit titles with "Romance" in them so this is one of the least effective even though it's the most common - there's also a ton of "Book Name: A romance" which can be cleaned up. Or combine Romance with any of the words above so "BBW Romance" or "Shifter Romance" will get tons of results)

(and if your tolerance for smut is higher)
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26633 comments Also, lots of these authors publish the same book under various author names - often the cover has the clue.

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 67 comments I've been working on cleaning up the Harlequin titles but I've been concentrating on current authors and their books. When I can, I pick one of our earlier authors and go clean up their books using the combine feature. This has been a long running issue and I haven't even done a search like you describe. My only hope is that the work I have done over the past couple of years has improved search results for the fans of romance.

message 4: by Hans (new)

Hans | 7 comments This is a great project - almost endless!

Just to double-check... we're removing the 'tags' even if it is the given title on other sites, e.g. Amazon.

If we feel that the description is not adequate, i.e. doesn't contain the tags/key words, should we add them into that? As I assume they are useful for readers looking for that genre of book and if it hasn't been shelved as such yet they may not show up?

message 5: by Krazykiwi (last edited Jul 25, 2016 03:23PM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments @#3 Sorry, I missed your post (notifications are a bit hit and miss around here lately). Don't worry, the Harlequin books even in their worst state are generally much better than this new crop! And thanks for the work you've been doing!

@#4 Seb, yes, remove them. The title of the book as far as GR is concerned is generally what's on the cover, the rest is just keyword stuffing for Amazon's search engine (which allows it, unlike the GR one.)

ETA: This also does not include "taglines" and extraneous info that isn't explicitly the book title. Some authors plaster a lot of text on the cover, but what's actually the title of the book is usually pretty obvious just from design and font. So even if it says "A billionaire romance" elsewhere, it's ok to remove that, the same as you'd remove "A novel" from any book.

As far as adding them to the description, I don't for several reasons, but there's no reason not to. For myself, there's usually plenty enough else to do (including ripping out all the promotional talk in the descriptions, such as the "free on Kindle Unlimited" and "for a short time only" - price and time limited info is explicitly not allowed in the descriptions here.) More importantly, there's no real way to search the descriptions other than an external google search, so it seems a bit pointless. If they're already there (and they often are) I don't remove them though, and you're free to add them if you want to.

message 6: by Hans (new)

Hans | 7 comments Hmm, I hadn't had the courage to strip (haha) out the promo info in descriptions - also the fact they're not allowed is not stated in the description description on https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/404
Perhaps this could be updated?

I also noticed that the hover help text on the edit book form says to add the series info into the title... I thought this wasn't supposed to be there and the series data should be done separately. Does that need changing too?

message 7: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22052 comments Seb wrote: "I also noticed that the hover help text on the edit book form says to add the series info into the title... I thought this wasn't supposed to be there and the series data should be done separately. Does that need changing too?"

From the librarian manual: Series should always be created separately. (See here for more information.) Currently, the series display is not complete across the website, and therefore series information may be repeated in the title field; this is optional. Again, please do not remove series data from the title field if it has already been added!
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 668 comments What about those romance lines that aren't really a series, just a bunch of unnumbered/nonsequential books with similar plots (e.g. "a Billionaires romance")? I assume those should get stripped from the title also, since they aren't a series per GR's definition (same author, shared characters/worlds, etc.)?

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 668 comments omigawd, I did like 200 of these and my mouse-hand is killing me lol. And I bet a whole bunch of new ones spawn overnight...

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1770 comments I fixed just one author yesterday and it ended up being nearly 1,000 edits. And I didn't even fully fix all of the books, I just removed the tags and combined where it was obvious. These are a daunting task, that's for sure.

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14578 comments And a neverending one, because they keep being imported like that.

message 12: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments This one is definitely a marathon, not a sprint :) Don't wear yourselves out on them!

I do these when I have something else going on, like listening to an audiobook, or half-watching TV. When I just want something a bit mindless to keep my fingers occupied.

On the other hand, it's really satisfying to see when you do clear up an authors list, even if it's only temporary.

message 13: by Michele (last edited Sep 10, 2016 09:15AM) (new)

Michele | 668 comments Can I just say there is some seriously offbeat stuff being published in the romance genre these days? I mean, Biker Bear Billionaire??

message 14: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Heh. I'm kind of enchanted by the Rockstar meets Amish girl trope myself :)

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 668 comments Why do some of these people publish ten different-yet-identical Kindle editions? Do authors get some kind of perks for having more titles listed?

message 16: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Short answer: Yes.

Long answer in the spoiler. Disclaimer: It's not flattering and may be a bit ranty. I expect there's a few authors who are simply inexperienced, confused, or "doing what everyone else does" and don't know about any of the stuff below.

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele | 668 comments Augh, I knew there had to be a sleazy reason :P

Then again: Charles Dickens serialized all but the last chapter of his novels, and then republished the entire thing WITH the last chapter, so even if you'd read each installment as it came out, you had to buy the whole book to find out how it ended. So I guess this dodge has a long and (ig)noble history in the publishing world :)

message 18: by Michele (last edited Sep 10, 2016 08:50PM) (new)

Michele | 668 comments So, what does one do about an author who has, say, nine "books" all with the exact same title, all Kindle editions, BUT with different page counts? Do you just sigh theatrically and move on? For example Alyssa Rosa and her "Interviewed by the Billionaire" books. As you can see if you click through, I added an artificial sub-title based on the description, which says how many stories are included. But it's not very satisfying (especially since I actually am a librarian IRL lol)

message 19: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14578 comments Michele wrote: "So, what does one do about an author who has, say, nine "books" all with the exact same title, all Kindle editions, BUT with different page counts? Do you just sigh theatrically and move on? For ex..."

Krazykiwi writes in spoiler #2 that she combines them all by cover title. I didn't look closely, but they all seem to have the exact same cover as well. And "xx stories" isn't considered a subtitle by GR. If you really want to differentiate them, you could add librarian notes.

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele | 668 comments Got it. If they're gaming the system, I guess they deserve what they get, right?

message 21: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 11, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7029 comments Michele wrote: "Then again: Charles Dickens serialized all but the last chapter of his novels, and then republished the entire thing WITH the last chapter, so even if you'd read each installment as it came out, you had to buy the whole book to find out how it ended. So I guess this dodge has a long and (ig)noble history in the publishing world :)"

No. The entire book was serialized, including the ending. Then the book was published as a whole, sometimes in more than one volume. This was normal for almost every writer in the 19th Century.

message 22: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments I forgot another reason for the "all the bonus books" ones (#2 in the rant above). Initially KU paid out the same amount for every borrow of every book, no matter the length, leading to a proliferation of 5-10k short stories, which were getting paid the same as full length novels or even omnibus sets (bear in mind this was in the region of $2 USD per borrow at the start). So Amazon decided to pro-rate the payments, so longer books got more than shorter books. The results were obvious, suddenly all those 5-10k shorts got bundled up into "all the things jammed into one kindle file". I don't know what the situation is now, I've stopped hanging on those author boards, but those have definitely dropped off lately, so either they aren't allowed or the system has changed again.

message 23: by Tailtiu (last edited Sep 11, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Tailtiu | 494 comments I'm a new librarian and cleaning some of the Stepbrother's at the moment. Are we allowed to clean them up for GR-authors like Selena Kitt or Stephanie Brother to?

message 24: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Absolutely! GR Authors have to follow GR rules too.

message 25: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments new librarian here too.
If there's a boxed set of a certain series, should it be added to the series page (but with the 'primary works' box unchecked), or should it not be added at all?

e.g. https://www.goodreads.com/series/1886... and https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 26: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Yes, exactly. Add to series (after the individual entries) and with primary unchecked.

message 27: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments Thanks, thought so :)

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1770 comments I've been working on the search term 'Paranormal Romance' recently as that's a big one. The search results were a bit over 13,000 when I started and I've gotten it to just under 12,000. I have the delusional hope of getting it as close to zero as possible. One day...

message 29: by Hans (new)

Hans | 7 comments Good work Melanie. I kind of wish paranormal romance could be wiped out too ;)

message 30: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments For those who need a change of scenery (or just overdosed on smut ;) ) there's a similar problem with all the 'cozy mysteries'...

message 31: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Nice work Melanie! It really is satisfying when you can actually see a result like the search results shrinking.

Mimi: That is a really good point!

Maybe you should make a new thread with some starter search terms for those? I am betting a lot of people won't ever even open this thread thanks to the "Romance" in the topic thread.

And if anyone wants to make another, there's also a lot of Non-Fiction with issues (try "paleo" or "green cleaning" or "decluttering") and that lot have come up with the epic new twist of spamming all the author spots on Amazon as well. So you have a book "Paleo diet" by some dude, with "Paleo" as editor, and "Diet" as illustrator and "Healthy Eating" wrote it's foreword and... Well you got the idea I'm sure.

message 32: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments Krazykiwi wrote: Maybe you should make a new thread with some s..."

I just started the new topic (I did borrow your 5 'what needs doing' points, hope that's all right).
I'm just too braindead to think of any search terms at the moment, I've edited over 550 entries since 2am this morning...

message 33: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Heh, feel free to borrow anything I write, but I'm wordy :)

Don't wear your self out on this stuff! It's not going anywhere, unfortunately.

I'll have a think and a hunt and see if I can come up with some more search terms for the cozies.

message 34: by Mimi (last edited Sep 12, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "Heh, feel free to borrow anything I write, but I'm wordy :)

Don't wear your self out on this stuff! It's not going anywhere, unfortunately.

I'll have a think and a hunt and see if I can come up w..."

Well, I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd do something useful. It's not like I've got any work to do...
**glares at the pile of paperwork that needs to be done by tomorrow**

message 35: by Bookbee (new)

Bookbee | 142 comments I'm not quite sure what to do for this: Billionaire Lawyers: The Deception of Blake

The cover, both here and on Amazon clearly says "Brenda". On Amazon, if you click the cover and "Look Inside" the first cover shown also says "Brenda" but the next smaller cover finally says "Blake".

message 36: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments Bookbee wrote: "I'm not quite sure what to do for this: Billionaire Lawyers: The Deception of Blake

The cover, both here and on Amazon clearly says "Brenda". On Amazon, if you click the cover and ..."

I guess someone posted the wrong cover for 'the deception of Blake'

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
The same cover is used here (although title and cover don't match either...)

message 37: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Heh. Dollars to donuts they cut and paste "Brenda" for "Blake" to turn a heterosexual romance into a gay one, and missed a few spots.

That one's a judgement call, but whichever direction you choose, probably leave a librarian note.

message 38: by Bookbee (new)

Bookbee | 142 comments Thanks! I'll leave a librarian's note once I figure out what to say. :)

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Cleaned up a few the other day. I wish I were an Asian Billionaire *sad face*

message 40: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14578 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "So you have a book "Paleo diet" by some dude, with "Paleo" as editor, and "Diet" as illustrator and "Healthy Eating" wrote it's foreword and... Well you got the idea I'm sure."

OMG. Wishing everybody brave enough to deal with these lots of strength! *cheering from the sidelines*

Krazykiwi wrote: "Heh. Dollars to donuts they cut and paste "Brenda" for "Blake" to turn a heterosexual romance into a gay one, and missed a few spots."

ROTFL

message 41: by lethe (last edited Sep 12, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

lethe | 14578 comments Michael wrote: "Cleaned up a few the other day. I wish I were an Asian Billionaire *sad face*"

Awww :')
And on top of that, Ajax making a mess of things :(

message 42: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments For the tags list, Scott suggested 'clean western' on the other thread.

I'd like to add 'clean christian', 'clean romance', 'alien', 'victorian' and 'regency'

message 43: by Mimi (last edited Sep 14, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments oh, and 'highland'; Thanks to Outlander the 'Scottish time Travel'sort of exploded in this genre....

edit: fixed a typo.

message 44: by Krazykiwi (last edited Sep 12, 2016 03:44PM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Added all those, thanks Scott and Mimi.

(I also just found a Clean Pregnancy Western Regency Victorian Romance which is just all kinds of wrong!)

ETA: My bad, the clean western regency Victorian and the clean pregnancy western were actually two different books by the same author. They're still pretty hilarious genre mashups though.

message 45: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (heymimi) | 90 comments Krazykiwi wrote:
(I also just found a Clean Pregnancy Western Regency Victorian Romance which is just all kinds of wrong!)"

????????
I thought Red Hot Squeaky Clean Romance was contradictory, but your find definately tops that.

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24094 comments There is no such thing as a clean pregnancy.

message 47: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14578 comments Scott wrote: "There is no such thing as a clean pregnancy."

Tsk. What about the immaculate conception?

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 849 comments i found one titled christian erotica once....

message 49: by Michele (new)

Michele | 668 comments Dee wrote: "i found one titled christian erotica once...."

How does that even work?
"Mary was deeply impressed by John's enormous crucifix" ?

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 849 comments Snort

I'm not sure... At least clean romance and pregnancy is somewhat doable since clean typically denotes no smexy in book and preggo could have happened before start...

« previous 1 3 4 5