Robert Jordan's:The Wheel of Time discussion

Just finished reading WoT - need a new high fantasy series

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ismail (new)

Ismail | 6 comments Hey all,

So I finished reading WoT series last week (and still feeling sad and empty!).

So any recommendations of another fantasy series to read that will make me forget this feeling like a loved one has left me?
I seem to prefer the medieval/middle aged kind of world/setting with swords, magic, a farmboy becoming a hero etc (but don't mind trying to read another type of setting).

FYI I have read - and loved - Lord Of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Looking forward to your recommendations :-)

message 2: by Pheonix (new)

Pheonix Starlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. Friend who introduced me to Wheel of Time said I should read it after I'm done. Apparently its Sanderson's response to Wheel of Time so it should be great :) I'm on book 10 almost there.

message 3: by Ismail (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:05AM) (new)

Ismail | 6 comments Pheonix wrote: "Starlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. Friend who introduced me to Wheel of Time said I should read it after I'm done. Apparently its Sanderson's response to Wheel of Time so it should be great :)..."

Thanks...you mean Stormlight Archive, right? :)

I'll check it out...a colleague who is also a fan of WoT has recommended it too

message 4: by Pheonix (new)

Pheonix Autocorrect is a bitch lol yes definitely. Hope you enjoy it :)

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin Bucher | 11 comments Stormlight is so good!

message 6: by Rod (new)

Rod (finnedog) | 2 comments Drizzt in The Dark Elf Triology

message 7: by Jesse Ruth (new)

Jesse Ruth (The best boyfriends are book boyfriends) (oracle_of_madness) the name of the wind... kingkiller chronicles. .. its the only series that worked for me... tried stormlight but this actually satisfied my aching heart..

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (KagedBooks) (kagedbooks) | 17 comments Lightbringer series - Brent Weeks

The Demon Cycle - Peter V. Brett

Throne if Glass - Sarah J. Maas

If you are looking for some lighter and more fun fantasy

Iron Druid Chronicles - Kevin Hearne

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

message 9: by Ismail (new)

Ismail | 6 comments this is great, thanks all!
keep the recommendations coming!

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 20 comments The Lies of Locke Lamora. First in the Gentlemen Bastard series, and one of the greatest tales ever told.

message 11: by Ismail (new)

Ismail | 6 comments Thanks Ryan

message 12: by Pheonix (new)

Pheonix Just want to thank Ismail for starting this feed totally going to benefit from the recommendations great potential here. Thanks!! :)

message 13: by Steve (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:11AM) (new)

Steve Naylor I just found this thread of the best Fantasy books. I have not read all of them but there are a lot of books on my "to read" list and a lot of the people I follow have read them and rated them high. Check it out.
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-fanta...

Also, I pretty much agree with everyones suggestions above, especially Kenneth. The series I would add is the Heir of Novron by Michael Sullivan. If you are looking for something lighter, then the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

message 14: by Benjamin (last edited Aug 02, 2016 04:20PM) (new)

Benjamin (breiby) Ismail wrote: "I seem to prefer the medieval/middle aged kind of world/setting with swords, magic, a farmboy becoming a hero etc "

Based on this description I would recommend trying the The Riftwar Cycle by Raymond Feist. The series consists of about 30 books, mostly written in trilogies or tetralogies, all within the same universe and with several recurring characters. The series has its flaws, but no more so than WoT.

From what I remember the writing is a bit simpler and less long-winded, which can be a plus if you found Jordan somewhat tedious at times. It also has the added benefit of actually being finished, so you won't have to go around clamouring for the next book. The first sub-series is called "The Riftwar Saga", which starts off with the book "Magician: Apprentice".

Link: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4964...

I would also recommend The Stormlight Archive and The Kingkiller Chronicle, although I feel obliged to mention that neither series is finished yet.

message 15: by Ismail (new)

Ismail | 6 comments Thanks Steven and Benjamin :)

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Parr | 4 comments Everything Brent weeks has written (can't wait until I get my preordered copy of the blood mirror!) the night angel trilogy is awesome but definitely darker than WOT. I have also thoroughly enjoyed everything by Brandon Sanderson. I especially liked Warbringer (which is not a series) and what is so far published of the stormlight archives.

message 17: by Harper (new)

Harper Stewart | 3 comments In addition to the Magician - Riftwar series by Raymond E Feist, once you have read those, definitely also check out the Empire trilogy which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts (without spoilers, its a connected, but stand-alone series... think of Magician as something that takes place in one kingdom who is fighting a war, while Empire is based in the kingdom of the opposition). There are a lot of cross-over references, so you should read the Riftwar books first (at least the first trilogy, anyway.

message 18: by S. (new)

S. Thomas (sshanethomas) Justin wrote: "Stormlight is so good!"

Pheonix wrote: "Starlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. Friend who introduced me to Wheel of Time said I should read it after I'm done. Apparently its Sanderson's response to Wheel of Time so it should be great :)..."

Kaladin is my favorite hero! Sorry Rand... The dude is just so complicated!

My book A Paleolithic fable is a sprint compared to the WoT marathon, but I've been inspired by Jordan and Sanderson, so fans of theirs might enjoy it.

If anyone is interested you can have a free ebook copy in exchange for an honest review. Just message me!

message 19: by Mac (new)

Mac | 3 comments How has Malazan not been mentioned yet?

Ericsson is an incredible writer and The Malazan Books of the Fallen are his masterpiece. Its unbelievable how good they are.

Crokus is almost a farm boy... but then there is also Anomandaris Dragnipurake is an all powerful mix of a rockstar and a badass elf with black skin and white hair. The number of well developed characters in this book is absolutely staggering. to put it in perspective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

It's ten books long and reads kinda similar to WOT, at least in the beginning.

Stormlight is good and all, but it seemed a little childish to me. If you want a finished, well written, epic fantasy book, with complicated characters and an author not afraid to murder them, you can't beat Malazan. Its terribly dark but also light in all the right places.

The first book kinda starts out in the middle of everything. If you need help:
http://www.tor.com/2016/09/19/a-begin...

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 20 comments Ericsson couldn't be any further from Jordan, in writing or in stature.

message 21: by Matías (new)

Matías Racedo (librosydragones) | 7 comments Definitely, Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson is awesome!
If I were you, I would give Mistborn a chance too, I love that trilogy.
I'm currently reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks, and I can already tell that I'll love it!
PS: I felt the same when I finished reading WoT :')

message 22: by Dante (new)

Dante Carlisle | 11 comments All I can do is second quite a few of these. The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Nearly anything by Brandon Sanderson has been fantastic in my experience. Brent Weeks has also appeared as a fantastic author, with both Lightbringer and Night Angel Trilogies.