Pop Sugar's Annual Ultimate Reading Challenge discussion

List brainstorming > Culture you're unfamiliar with

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Caldwell | 36 comments I started out by thinking it only had to do with different countries, but there are a lot of groups, people, organizations, ect I don't know a whole heck of a lot about. For instance I picked Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson a few weeks ago at a used bookstore, and I really don't know about "biker" culture. But is that really considered a culture, or is that kind of a cop-out?

What is everyone else reading for this category?

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (ttrivium) | 46 comments I don't think that's a cop-out at all. I ended up using a more standard definition of the task and have Persepolis down for the task. I did consider using Men We Reaped, (poor, African-American, southern culture is definitely different from the middle class, mosly white, northern culture I grew up in). But everything keeps getting reshuffled on what I'm counting as what and Men We Reaped settled on the autobiography category.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Culture has a very broad definition when you look it up In the dictionary, and the biker book definitely fits the category! I personally plan on reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha' for this, but pulled 3 or 4 from my shelves, including Kite Runner, Bookseller in Kabul, and a somewhat fictionalized memoir of life in a Turkish harem in case I change my mind.

message 4: by Zoe (last edited Sep 05, 2016 04:04PM) (new)

Zoe (zoezoe) If anyone is trying to find a book that will fit this category Book Riot has a list of 80 book from around the world. Check it out! Looks like there's something for everyone. :)

http://bookriot.com/2016/04/28/around...