Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > Looking for YA books with sexual abuse themes

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Hi there. I'm a YA writer and reader and am looking for more books in a very narrow genre. I'm not into paranormal, fantasy or distopian society. The more realistic, the better.

Here's what I've read in this genre already. For some of these, it's been a while since I read them and it's hard to remember if they carried the sexual abuse theme or not. Forgive me if I remember wrong. :)

Stay, Deb Caletti
The Sea of Tranquility, Katja Millay
The Language of Flowers, Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson
Some Boys, Patty Blount
She's Come Undone, Wally Lamb
Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher

Thank you in advance!

message 3: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Thanks, Jessica. Apparently I have that on my to-read list. Bumping it up! :)

message 4: by Jade (new)

Jade (jademh7) Some I have recently read are:

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

All the Rage by Courtney Summers

What We Saw by Aaron Hertzler

All these books touch on rape culture in our world today and they are interesting reads.

message 5: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Thanks so much, Jade! Adding them.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Fosmoe (ericaejw968) | 1 comments Try Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. It is a different take on sexual abuse and child abduction.

message 7: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Thanks, Erica! I'll check it out.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nics2) | 106 comments hopeless is pretty famous, actually I'm not a big fan , but I admit that it is entertaining and really disturbing. It's by colleen Hoover btw

message 9: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments I've got that one on my list already, too. Thanks for reminding me. :)

message 10: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 37 comments Easy (Contours of the Heart, #1) by Tammara Webber
Going Under by S. Walden
The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley

I'm sure I know of more but I'll have to go through my list to find em x

message 11: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Lots of good options. Thanks so much!

Now that I've got a few additions to work on, I'm curious about narrowing it down even further. The story I'm writing has to do specifically with the evolution of abuse, which not many stories deal with. Actually, I can't say I've found a single one. Most deal with the aftermath. Can you think of any?

message 12: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 37 comments Pulled (Twin Flames Trilogy, #1) by Danielle Bannister
Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala

If you don't mind M/M, there's also: Silent by Sara Alva and This is Not a Love Story (Love Story Universe) by Suki Fleet

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 37 comments Sorry, the above are just further ones I've remembered, not a response to your second query :/

message 14: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Cool. Thanks!

FYI, for the sake of comparison to my story in my query letters, I'm looking for a M/F situation. Sheesh, could I narrow it down any further? haha

message 15: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments No worries, Joanne. :) I appreciate the suggestions.

message 16: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 41 comments I dont really know if its YA but I absolutely loved Running with Scissors. Its absolutely amazing and Im pretty sure its a true story, not positive though

message 17: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Wow, that one's quite a doozy, eh? :) It's listed as memoir so you're right, it's true. And "truth is stranger than fiction" which is fitting here. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 19: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Thanks. I picked up a couple more from the list. :)

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Cormack (kimcormack) | 3 comments Wild Thing amazon.com/author/kimcormack It's in the series and on sale for 99 cents on Amazon in honor of the release of the next book in the side series

message 21: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments It looks like that one's paranormal, Kim, which I'm not interested in. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim Cormack (kimcormack) | 3 comments Please pass on the party info. Everyone that attends gets a free epub of the first book in the side series, "Wild Thing." https://www.facebook.com/events/15362... There will be lots of other Authors and prizes ;)

message 23: by Beverly (new)

message 24: by Shane (new)

Shane Stained by Cheryl Rainfield.

message 25: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Thanks!

message 26: by Nicolina (new)

Nicolina | 23 comments Dark Song by....Gail Giles; it's REALLY good and like realistic...super inspiring and dark...

message 27: by Gracin (new)

Gracin | 13 comments Thanks! I added it.