Booktube Reads #mglit discussion

Read - Along (s) > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Here is the thread for book 1

message 2: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
This re-read (of several other re-reads) is by far funnier because I'm listening to the audiobook. I'm so glad I went that route this time and that the narrator's voice didn't disappoint.
I don't know if it's because I'm now older and also a mom but I can't help noticing the single dad aspect and also how Rosalind had to slip into the motherly role for her younger sisters.
Oh and Hound! He never disappoint!

message 3: by Akoss (last edited Aug 17, 2016 08:40PM) (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
It is a bittersweet goodbye as I finished listening to the audio book today. Re-reading it in audio format is absolutely worth it.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Okay, I'm back. I didn't mean to take so long to get around to commenting about this book. I finished it early in August, but thought I would wait until the 12th to comment on it. Then we decided to go on a little camping trip before school started and we were without internet while gone. Now I have the kids settled into school and things will get back into a routine, (I hope).

I really enjoyed the book. Thanks so much for recommending it. It really is the type of book that I enjoy. You know that feel good, bittersweet family story and has some ups and downs. It kind of gave me a Little Women vibe with the four sisters with different personalities with one male playmate. Of course these girls are younger. I can't really pick a favorite girl. I enjoyed all of them. The vivid descriptions of the setting really helped me imagine being there with them. In fact I would love to go there! Arundel sounds like a wonderful place.
One little detail that I enjoyed was the passage between the bedrooms. I had a friend in elementary school that had a little crawl through door in the back of one closet that went into another room and I always thought that was so cool. Now that we are planning to build a new house of our own, I told my husband that I would like for us to put in a "secret passage" somewhere and he agreed.
Anyway, I wish I had known about this book sooner, but I guess it's not really that old. I hope that one day my daughter Katie will read it, but she is too caught up in fantasy stories right now.
I have the second book checked out from the library, but I'm waiting to see if I can get the audio through innerlibrary loan. I may not get to start it until September because I need to finish our library bingo challenge by Sept. 8.

message 5: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Okay, I'm back. I didn't mean to take so long to get around to commenting about this book. I finished it early in August, but thought I would wait until the 12th to comment on it. Then we decided t..."

You can read book 2 whenever!!! No problem!
I also need to get other books out of the way so I may not get to book 2 before September.
Also I'm jealous you get to have a secret passage in your future new house! Soooo jealous!!! :D
And I'm extra glad you enjoyed the book this much. Sometimes I worry, like I told you before, that a book I recommend might disappoint.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments I have those same fears and I sometimes recommend books with a disclaimer. LOL! A few months ago I recommended a L.M. Montgomery book called A Tangled Web to my sister that I just loved. She read it and said she didn't like it that much. I remember that my mom didn't like it either. It just goes to show that we all have our differences, even though we do like a lot of the same books.
I'm not sure exactly where our secret passage will be yet. We have been doodling with house plans and trying different configurations. We just found a buyer for my childhood home, so that will provide some funds for us to start building here.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Whisted So ridiculously behind on starting this, but I'm 4 chapters in today so far and keeping my fingers crossed I can finish it by the end of the week, or at min. only a few days after the challenge is technically over. I can tell already I'm going to enjoy this Akoss recommendation just as much as A Summer of Sundays! :D

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Whisted SOOooo late to finishing this, but it was seriously AMAZING. I didn't know that I'd feel so compelled to read the remaining Penderwick books, but I most definitely want to now. I don't want to re-write my review for it here, you can click my name if you want to see it, but it definitely feels like an instant classic for me. Something I could still read and enjoy as much no matter what age I am. Thank you, Akoss, so much for this recommendation! It was spectacular!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Sarah wrote: "SOOooo late to finishing this, but it was seriously AMAZING. I didn't know that I'd feel so compelled to read the remaining Penderwick books, but I most definitely want to now. I don't want to re-w..."

It does feel like a classic doesn't it? I had to go back and see when it was first published because I felt sure I had missed out on a potential childhood favorite. It really isn't very old though. I think it is destined to be a classic for sure.