Central European Tarts discussion

Month's picks > Rhapsody

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Mermaid Kris (themermaidkris) | 53 comments Mod
Here you can talk about this month's picks.

message 2: by Kris (new)

I am not sure I am happy with this month's picks. I wanted to read alt pic few months back but A Court of thorns is 8,81 and Rhapsody 9,67. I want to give it try but honestly Rhapsody has reviews 1 or 5 stars. So I am quite afraid to spend my money on it. Have you read it already?

message 3: by Tahina (new)

Tahina | 35 comments Mod
Hi Kris, I read it when the german translation came out (about 2001). I liked it - in fact so much, that I did not want to wait for the translation of the following books. So, I bought it again in english and struggled through it and then I read all the other books in the series... so the truth is: Rhapsody became the gateway to english fantasy books for me. Therefore I highly recommend it :)

message 4: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa | 173 comments Mod
I haven't tried Rhapsody yet, but I signed up for the alt Court of Thorns at the library as soon as it took a big lead in the poll, so I just finished that one. It was....ok. It has a lot of fairy tale things in it, but not really enough of the fun ones. For instance, right from the start, no females are sympathetic but our main lady, because like all fairy tales, sisters and mothers can be 1. useless burdens, 2. nasty and cruel, or 3. dead - but that's all. That trope always especially bothers me. In the last half the action picks up and it got more enjoyable, but there are so many better books out there. It was very clear and smooth writing, and even slightly fun, but I'm glad I only borrowed it, because I'll probably never go back and read it again.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Ok so I found out that Rhapsody is quite an old book and I can buy it in bazar so no problem there. Well Court on the other side is not even published here so I guess I will just skip it or purchase it ...

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Crane-rosset | 103 comments Mod
I read Rhapsody a long time ago and remember liking it well enough. Have not read the other yet, but I bought it today and I will get started when the kid is in bed.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Are we ready to start talking dates? How's the 29th looking for everyone?

message 8: by Kris (new)

I think I won't be able to make it this month. From 29th till 8th I am abroad trying not to kill my self on wild rivers of croatia :D

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

That sounds like a cool trip. My summer vacation was way less exciting so far. I only got a sunburn while watching the Tour de France on Sunday, because my town was a stage this year.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Well I got sunburn in one day during my weekend trip to Dubrovnik :D

message 11: by Tahina (new)

Tahina | 35 comments Mod
Hi everyone, unfortunatly the whole next week won't work for me. My work schedule is different that week and to many birthdays, so I'm gone on the weekend...

message 12: by Malaraa (new)

Do we want to bump it into early august a bit then? I'm as always, ok with whatever day and week, the only thing that could mess me up is if work has another mechanical disaster and we start losing all the food again. :/

Have fun on vacation, Kris! And everyone else who's going somewhere this summer. I won't be on proper vacation until October, right before the retail madness hits. Going home to see my folks for the first time in quite a while. :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

I said Saturday, but really, eathier day is fine with me.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

So, tonight or Saturday?

message 15: by Malaraa (new)

Def not tonight, poll is leaning toward august I think. :)

message 16: by Tanja (new)

Tanja | 8 comments Unfortunately, I can't make it to any of the mentioned dates. I'm off to take a long vacation ( yeah) :). See you at the Sept. Hangout then. Have fun, Tanja

message 17: by Tanja (new)

Tanja | 8 comments I' m not yet finished, but I quite like it. I think a little less tree walking would have been nice, but that's the only complaint I can make so far. Enjoying it.

message 18: by Malaraa (last edited Aug 02, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Hope your vacation goes well Tanja, and yes hope to see you in Sept! I'm gonna go ahead and call it for the 10th so we can know when to plan for. Hope to see most of you then!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Are we going to do both at once?

message 20: by Kris (new)

Girls I have to say I got troubles this month again :/ I am available but since I spent 2 weeks canoeing in Bosnia (which is not good sport for reading) and spent other days packing or unpacking and all the lovely sh*** around ... I read like 60 pages so far. I like it I really do (so far) but I also got paperback book so I can't read it at work (czech version is like a brick). So sorry girls. I wish to talk to you but there is like 7 books on to read list for me and I haven't even started and I am leaving in 2 weeks again.

message 21: by Tahina (new)

Tahina | 35 comments Mod
Hi gals, something came up and I'm not sure, if I will be home in time for the hangout. I'll try my best to be there, but please feel free to start on time and don't wait for me, ok? Thank you. Hope to see you later!

message 22: by Malaraa (new)

OK, hope you make it for at least part of the time, Tahina, and Kris, pop in for a minute or two at the start if you want, just to say hi. :)

message 23: by Tahina (new)

Tahina | 35 comments Mod
Sadly I couldn't make it on Wednesday. I’ve started a new Lupus treatment at the university hospital in Freiburg and it took much longer than I thought it would and with the holyday travelers and the traffic jam the the border to Switzerland (I live right next to it) it was almost 9pm till I was home :(
I hope you had a good time and an interesting discussion! I’m looking forward to talk about this month’s book in the next hangout :)

message 24: by Malaraa (new)

We missed you, but Jennifer and I had a great chat that covered all kinds of things. Hope to see you next time!