Six-Gun Snow White Flash read discussion

Six-Gun Snow White
This topic is about Six-Gun Snow White
Discussion > Part II: Snow White Contends with the Prairie-Falcon's Blindness

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

carol. | 41 comments Now here is the Valente that wrote Deathless.

I said I loved her back. I put my hand on the door and I said I loved her back, and when I said it, I thought of kissing her and also of shooting her through the eye."

Richard Derus (expendablemudge) | 13 comments A reasoned and reasonable response, eh what?

Athena (athenapn) | 22 comments 'Prairie-Falcon's Blindness', running with the Native American theme: there's a legend about Prairie-Falcon & Crow creating the world (involving other birds dying & being brought back to life). Is Valente saying world-creator Prairie-Falcon is blind to the evils of the world, child abuse in this case? Hmm ...

message 4: by carol. (last edited Jul 11, 2016 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

carol. | 41 comments I was thinking Prairie-Falcon might also be Mrs H, who is blind to both the degree to which she is recreating her own oppression (as seen by Snow in the mirror), as well as blind to the deep ambivalence Snow has for her (hate/love).

Athena (athenapn) | 22 comments Carol. wrote: "I was thinking Prairie-Falcon might also be Mrs H, who is blind to both the degree to which she is recreating her own oppression (as seen by Snow in the mirror), as well as blind to the deep ambiva..."

Nice point! I think you're right: there's a lot more here than initially meets the eye.

message 6: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi | 11 comments I love reading with you guys!

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 9 comments On the extremely literal interpretation side... as far as I can tell, all of these are Coyote stories with "Snow White" substituted for "Coyote".
Here is the story: http://www.manataka.org/page722.html

carol. | 41 comments Oh, that's a fascinating idea. Of course, you just read that coyote book as well! I admit to being puzzled by the Coyote proverb/tale in the very beginning--it didn't make sense to me about separating his heart.

message 9: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi | 11 comments Again, Carly, you are amazing. So glad you're here!

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 9 comments Just finished this part. Creepy and weird... now I can see the resemblance to "The Lily and the Horn." It's also the first time the story moved from fantastic (ie the absurd wealth and accoutrements such as Rose Red) to actual fantasy, and I don't know what to make of it. What does the rest of the world see, in terms of the baby? Is it an unreliable narrator, a metaphor, or a bout of fairy tale craziness?

And while a firstborn child is a traditional fairy tale price, Snow White's inference of who the other parent is puts a disturbing spin on that, too.

carol. | 41 comments Ah, good point about actual fantasy. I assumed it was 'real' in the mechanics of the story (that Snow was witnessing a real thing), and that it was some traditional Wicked Witch way of getting a child, although something said later implies it may also be a payment for her own power.

message 12: by Carly (last edited Jul 16, 2016 10:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 9 comments Carol. wrote: "Ah, good point about actual fantasy. I assumed it was 'real' in the mechanics of the story (that Snow was witnessing a real thing), and that it was some traditional Wicked Witch way of getting a ch..."

Yeah, in the end of this section, Snow White suggests it's the lake spirit's child, which makes the price paid for power a firstborn child via a very disturbing manner.

But what do the newspapers who announced the pregnancy make of a mirror-child? Is it just fairytale logic?

carol. | 41 comments Oh, I must have missed the newspaper announcement. I think it has been made clear that the staff all know who controls the wages--I'm sure they'd back anything up.

Athena (athenapn) | 22 comments So the firstborn was the price the Witch paid for her own power, and possibly it was the getting of that power which was the disgrace that hung over her prior to her marrying Mr. H. Perhaps the implication is that her power was a result of sexuality; another sex=dangerous knowledge thread in Wicked Witch (Eve) tales?

I too think the staff would definitely back up anything they were told to say, or to not say in the case of Snow's parentage: so a mix of fairytale logic and some cold hard cash reality.

Alina (aleenna) | 5 comments I thought the disgrace being that she was not 'pure' anymore, to say it in the puritan way.. and that because she got pregnant, she ran away in the woods and there she traded her child for power

Athena (athenapn) | 22 comments Alina wrote: "she ran away in the woods and there she traded her child for power"

Interesting! Thus the child needed a human heart to come out of the mirror (or a deer heart to come out with deer legs). Nice!

carol. | 41 comments Oh, right, Alina. There was that part where Snow mentioned some scuttlebutt about Mrs.H and not having good prospects anymore.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Deathless (other topics)