Reading the Chunksters discussion

A Little Life
This topic is about A Little Life
Archived 2016 Group Reads > A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Our second summer chunky read. Dianne graciously made up the read schedule below.

July 11-17: pp. 1-70 (Part I)
July 18-24: pp. 71-140 (Part I, Part II)
July 25-31: pp. 141-210 (Part II)
August 1-7: pp. 211-280 (Part II, Part III)
August 8-14: pp. 281-350 (Part III, Part IV)
August 15-21: pp. 351-420 (Part IV)
August 22-28: pp. 421-490 (Part IV, Part V)
August 29-Sept. 4: pp. 491-560 (Part V)
Sept. 5-11: pp. 561-630 (Part V)
Sept. 12-18: pp. 630-700 (Part V)
Sept. 19-25: pp. 701-770 (Part V, Part VI)
Sept. 26-30: pp. 771-814 (Part VI, Part VII)

Kaycie | 294 comments So Dianne, i started marking the sections you picked for the reading schedule, but my book has a different number of pages than you. Do you end at chapters you can also list? Or maybe a passage?

Anyways, thanks a ton for making the schedule! Looks great and can't wait to get started!

message 3: by Dianne (last edited Jul 13, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dianne | 1265 comments Kaycie wrote: "So Dianne, i started marking the sections you picked for the reading schedule, but my book has a different number of pages than you. Do you end at chapters you can also list? Or maybe a passage?

A..."

Hi Kaycie, I'm glad you are joining!! I can do passages if you'd like, let me know. Since there are only a few chapters and some of them are hundreds of pages I'm not sure that breakdown would work too well. In all honesty it's probably easier if you just divide the pages in your book by 82 (the number of days for the read assuming a July 11 start and Sept. 30 end) and catch up to that point based on when you start the book, rather than doing a passage schedule. Then you will be approximately with the reading schedule. If you'd like a passage schedule let me know, but I'm just thinking it might be tough to follow with this particular book since there are few natural breaking points.

Kaycie | 294 comments Ok, sounds good! I'll do that and if anything major happens on the last pages, I'll clarify that I'm ending on the right passage! Thanks so much for setting up the schedule! My family is still here so I'm rather pressed for time.

Catherine (catsmeeow) I just got my copy and am excited to join in though my pages are off as well. Is the first discussion part up yet?

Dianne | 1265 comments Yay glad to hear Catherine! I am going to post a new schedule with a later start date , probably August 15 to give everyone plenty of time, but we can start discussing now. I'll post that first thread now to get us started, so post away!

message 7: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Great job Dianne! I appreciate your help.

Dianne | 1265 comments Any time!

message 9: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) This ebook is on sale on Amazon and BN for $4.99.

message 10: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments I happened to be browsing the "recommendations" by the staff of Powell's Books, and four of the staff members put "A Little Life" at number one of their five recommendations.

Dianne | 1265 comments Wow that's quite a recommendation, thanks for sharing Everyman! It's divisive apparently, but I don't think you can argue that it is powerful.