Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > July 11 Puzzler - Jealous partners

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1206 comments Right! I love nothing more than a strong willed heroine and a jealous alpha hero haha
I re-read this scene so many times as I was giggling uncontrollably at the mental images I had! I also didn't post the entire scene as otherwise it would be too long I think!
Enjoy!!
xx

“Discard one,” Lord C said.

Heroine took a sip of brandy and studied his face. She smiled slightly as she noticed his gaze moving once more to the green velvet leaves that covered her breasts. The small room was crowded with men. Heroine knew they were all staring at her. She didn’t care. By now she was beyond shame or modesty—her only thought was money. If flaunting herself would help her get the money Villian had demanded, so be it. She would do anything to save Baby Heroine, even sacrifice the last few shreds of her pride. Later she would allow herself to shrink from this memory and blush fiercely at the exhibition she had made of herself.
For now…

“Discard one,” she said, flipping down a card. As she reached for another, she hesitated, feeling a hot prickling of awareness down her spine. Turning her head slowly, she saw Hero standing in the doorway of the room. No biblical angel of destruction could have looked more magnificent, his hair and skin gleaming with the rich darkness of antique gold against the blood-red garments he wore.

The gray irises of his eyes smoldered wrathfully as he looked at her barely concealed body. “Miss Heroine,” he said in an utterly controlled voice, “May I have a word with you?” The way he stared at her made Heroine tense with unease. She felt pinned to her chair, and knew a sudden urge to bolt for safety. Instead she drew on every bit of her acting ability to appear indifferent. “Later, perhaps,” she murmured, and returned her attention to her cards. “Your play, Lord C.”

Lord C didn’t move, only regarded Hero in the same transfixed manner that everyone else did.
Hero's gaze remained on Heroine. "Now,” he said, more softly than before. There was an edge to his voice that could have cut glass. Heroine stared at him, while their audience followed the exchange with intense interest. Damn him for speaking to her in front of them as if she were his property!

Well, Mr W was in the room. It was his job to ensure smooth play in the gaming rooms, and remove all sources of interference. Mr W wouldn’t let Hero do anything to her. After all, she was a legitimate member of the club. She dared to give Hero a taunting smile. “I’m playing.”

“You’re leaving,” he said curtly, and took command in a blur of motion. Heroine gasped in surprise as her cards were snatched from her hand and scattered over the table. Reaching for her apple, she hurled it at his head, but he ducked it easily. Suddenly she found herself smothered in his red cloak. With bewildering swiftness Hero wrapped her until she was immobile, her arms and legs tightly bound. She shrieked and struggled violently as he bent and lifted her, slinging her over his shoulder. The long wig dropped from her head, falling to a silky heap on the floor.

“You’ll have to excuse Miss Heroine,” Hero advised the men at the table. “She’s decided to cut her losses and retire for the evening. Au revoir.” Before their astonished gazes, he carried Heroine out of the room, while she wriggled and shouted indignantly.

“Put me down, you arrogant bastard! There’s a law against abduction! I’ll have you arrested, you high-handed beast! Mr W, do something! Where the devil are you? Mr Gaming Hall Owner, you detestable stinking coward, come help me!… Damn all of you…”

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Sounds very, very interesting. Parts of the story sound familiar but I'm not sure.

Thanks for sharing. :-) ♥

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I think I know buuuuuuut.....I'm not a positive?!

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
I know I haven't read it

message 5: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) No idea

message 6: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Great choice, Leigh-Ayn! For me, this is a favorite book by a favorite author. And it introduces one of my all-time favorite heroes, although he is a secondary character in this one.

message 7: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1923 comments Mod
I don't know it, though I feel I should. Darn it!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1037 comments Yes, I read it. So funny that she thought a wig would hide her identity.

Where can I buy a dress with velvet leaves? I want one!

message 9: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I know it! In fact I got it after the first sentence. One of my all time favorites by a favorite author. I think I've read this book so many times I would know just about any passage. LOL I absolutely love the hero in this book.

message 10: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1206 comments Janga wrote: "Great choice, Leigh-Ayn! For me, this is a favorite book by a favorite author. And it introduces one of my all-time favorite heroes, although he is a secondary character in this one."

You're the reason I tried this book!!! I need to still read the other one! I'm putting it off subconsciously!

x

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I know it! It feels so good when I do :D

I like this one more then the next one that everyone loves....

message 12: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1206 comments Aly is so frigging bored wrote: "I know it! It feels so good when I do :D

I like this one more then the next one that everyone loves...."

Yay!!!
That's why I'm procrastinating reading the next one I think Aly.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Seems familair but I don't think it is the same book I've read. Can't wait for the reveal!

message 14: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1206 comments As it is lunchtime for me on Wednesday here in a chilly Perth I am assuming it is late Tuesday for those of you in America!

Then Came You (Gamblers Book 1) by Lisa Kleypas

:)

message 15: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) Oh! I read the second book of this series but not this one. Yet.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments I had a feeling I'd read it. Makes me want to read it again. :-) ♥

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Oh I thought it was this! I love Lisa Kleypas!!!! Her historicals are so good!

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I too have read book 2 but not this one. Looks like I'll have to remedy that!

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
Nailed it! This one is my favorite in the series