Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Septimus Heap Book 1: Magyk by Angie Sage 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Jul 10, 2016 05:37PM) (new)

annapi | 5130 comments I was rather disappointed by this, as it sounded interesting and I really needed to read a book with an author whose initials matched mine, for a game. I thought a children's/YA book (more for children IMO) would be easy to breeze through, even at 588 pages.

Boy, those 588 pages were LONG. The story was overall just really boring for over half the book. It started out interesting, with the wizard Silas Heap expecting his seventh son. The reader is told that the boy died shortly after birth, and Silas unexpectedly finds a baby girl in the forest and takes her home to his wife, who raises her in place of the dead child. Of course any regular reader of fantasy knows that the boy, Septimus, will eventually turn up alive somewhere.

But the journey the reader is taken on is filled with meandering descriptions and side stories that, while not uninteresting, were tedious. For me really it is the poor world-building that makes this whole story tedious. There is no logical structure for the magic (excuse me, Magyk, in bold no less) in this world, except for what I call "just because". Which makes it kinda corny, which for me is the death knell for a story. There is an attempt at humor and absurdity, which falls flat as it feels like it's supposed to make up for the book's failings. In fact, for most of the vast middle portion of the book I was ready to give this 2 stars as I decided I didn't really like it.

What finally upped my rating was that towards the end, the pace picked up, and something actually happens to forward the plot. Surprisingly, it ended satisfactorily despite all the cliches, though of course the identity of Septimus was pretty obvious from the first time he re-enters the story as a boy. Also, I guess the target audience of children will find this entertaining.

I figure nothing in this review can possibly be a spoiler as the series is titled "Septimus Heap" and there are currently 7 books in the series. However, I doubt I will bother to read any more.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Good to know annapi. I had considered reading it to my son but might skip it.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5130 comments Susie wrote: "Good to know annapi. I had considered reading it to my son but might skip it."

I think there's so much better out there. Do read him Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for the recommendation!