The Book Club discussion

∞Readathons∞ > July Read-a-thon!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abi (last edited Jul 10, 2016 03:40PM) (new)

Abi (booksa144) Hey everyone! I decided to do a July read-a-thon at the request of Daniella. Sorry to spring this on you guys without warning, especially since The Book Club hasn't been active for about a month. :) I'm going to put the start date as tomorrow, Monday the 11h of July and have it last for two weeks, until Monday the 25th of July.

The categories are:
1. A book set at a beach.
2. A romance.
3. A book by a new (to you) author
4. A book with a title that starts with the first letter of your last name. (For example, if your last name is Smith, you could read 'Sworn to Sovereignty' by Terah Edun.)
5. The first book in a series.

- Abi

message 2: by Abi (last edited Jul 21, 2016 06:12PM) (new)

Abi (booksa144) I think I'm going to read:
1. & 2. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han (because it's been a couple years since I last read it but I remember that it's good)
3. Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tale #1) by Alexia Purdy (New book)
4. Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and and Samantha Van Leer (New book)
5. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah Maas
(Reread, maybe I'll like it better this time around. I like Ms. Maas's other series, 'Throne of Glass' more.)

EDIT: 1. is now also 2.
4. is maybe Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian.
5. is Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) until further notice, as I'm rereading it and don't know if I'll get to ACOTAR by the 26th.

message 3: by Alli (new)

Alli (allikyrie) | 158 comments Mod
Here's my TBR:
1 & 2. Along for the Ride | By: Sarah Dessen (I've been obsessed with her books ever since I read The Truth about Forever)
3. My Lady Jance | By: Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
4. The First Fifteen Lives of Hary August | By: Claire North (This challenge was so hard)
5. Unplugged | By: Donna Freitas
I'm super excited! Let's do this!

message 4: by Abi (last edited Jul 10, 2016 05:51PM) (new)

Abi (booksa144) Do you mean 'My Lady Jane'? I have to read that too! It's a library book.

message 5: by Alli (new)

Abi wrote: "Do you mean 'My Lady Jane'? I have to read that too! It's a library book."
I do, :P, but It looks so interesting!

message 6: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) It does! I want to read it, but I have other books to read before it. :( But I'll get to it eventually!

message 7: by Alli (new)

I'm going to change my TBR: Instead of The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, I'm going to read A Fierce and Subtle Poison just cause I have the book.

Daniella (Reading With Daniella) (readingwithdaniella) | 14 comments Yay, thanks so much! This is going to be so much fun!

I'm going to try to read these:
1 & 2: Fifteenth Summer - Michelle Dalton OR Along For the Ride - Sarah Dessen (I can't decide!)
3. Nerve - Jeanne Ryan
4 & 5 - Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer - Rick Riordan

Thanks again! Can't wait to get started.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Gomez | 1 comments My bilingual TBR:
1. Sol, playa y asesinato- Julia Montenegro (I think I'm going to change this one but I'm not sure)
2. Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
3. Las chicas de alambre - Jordi Sierra i Fabra
4. Gandhi - Philip Wilkinson
5. Illuminae - Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

message 10: by Alli (new)

Daniella wrote: "Yay, thanks so much! This is going to be so much fun!

1 & 2: Fifteenth Summer - Michelle Dalton OR Along For the Ride - Sarah Dessen (I can't decide!)
3. Nerve - Je..."

I hope you enjoy Magnus Chase! It was a fun read for me!

message 11: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) Alli wrote: "Daniella wrote: "Yay, thanks so much! This is going to be so much fun!

1 & 2: Fifteenth Summer - Michelle Dalton OR Along For the Ride - Sarah Dessen (I can't decid..."

Me too!

Daniella (Reading With Daniella) (readingwithdaniella) | 14 comments Alli wrote: "Daniella wrote: "Yay, thanks so much! This is going to be so much fun!

1 & 2: Fifteenth Summer - Michelle Dalton OR Along For the Ride - Sarah Dessen (I can't decid..."

Thanks! I'm very excited to read it :D

message 13: by Alli (new)

So I finished Unplugged by Donna Freitas and I enjoyed it less than I though I would. My status updates are just basically me ranting about the stupidity of the characters, but I did love the unique elements of the virtual and real world.

message 14: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) I read Ever Shade by Alexia Purdy. It was really good!

message 15: by Daniella (Reading With Daniella) (last edited Jul 26, 2016 09:20PM) (new)

Daniella (Reading With Daniella) (readingwithdaniella) | 14 comments So, things didn't exactly go as planned. I ended up changing most of what I read because I honestly wasn't in the mood for any of my TBR. However, I did complete 4 out of 5 challenges, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.
I did not end up completing challenge 1.
For 2, all of the books I read applied. They were A Mater of Heart by Amy Fellner Dominy, Nerve by Jeanne Ryan, and Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
3 was Nerve, which was just okay. I was pretty disappointed by it to be honest.
4 was A Matter of Heart, which was enjoyable, though flawed.
For 5 I re-read one of my favourite books Obsidian, which is the first book in the Lux series. And as expected, I loved very, very, very much. It was just as good, if not better, the second time around. I cannot recommend this series highly enough!

Thanks for holding tis fun read-a-thon! Hope I can participate in another one soon. And awesome work with this book club by the way, I love it!

message 16: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) Good job! I love the Lux series!

message 17: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) I finished Ever Shade (2 & 3) and Throne of Glass (5). Not amazing, but I'm glad I finished some of them.

Daniella (Reading With Daniella) (readingwithdaniella) | 14 comments Abi wrote: "I finished Ever Shade (2 & 3) and Throne of Glass (5). Not amazing, but I'm glad I finished some of them."

Oh, I loved Throne of Glass! I've still only read the first two in the series, but I hope to catch up before Empire of Storms is released. I want to join in on the hype ;)

message 19: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) Yeah, ToG is AWESOME! My favorite series after Percy Jackson, which is my all time favorite! You should definitely read them! I'm actually rereading the series right now! I kinda cheated a little with my readathon; I finished ToG #1 today, but I was so busy I didn't have time to finish it yesterday.

Trust me, once you finish Queen of Shadows (ToG #4) you will be begging for Empire of Storms! I'm so excited! Heir of Fire is definitely my favorite though!

Daniella (Reading With Daniella) (readingwithdaniella) | 14 comments Abi wrote: "Yeah, ToG is AWESOME! My favorite series after Percy Jackson, which is my all time favorite! You should definitely read them! I'm actually rereading the series right now! I kinda cheated a little w..."

Yeah, I've heard from a lot of people that HoF is the best series. I'm hoping to read it and Queen of Shadows by the end of the summer.