Oprah's Book Club (Official) discussion

General > Black Lives Matter

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ray (new)

Ray Hollar-Gregory | 3 comments Everything seems so incidental after seeing the heartbreaking Facebook video posted by Diamond Reynolds as her boyfriend Philandro Castile, is dying after execution by a Minneapolis police officer because of a broken taillight. Compounding the tragedy is the sympathetic voice of their four-year-old daughter who witnessed his brutal slaying. Day’s prior a similar horrific depiction in New Orleans ((Alton Sterling). The pattern is statistically unavoidable---minor traffic infractions, selling looseys or CDs, wearing a hoodie, are a pretext to stop, frisk, searches and shoot black people, see http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unar.... Profiling of African Americans is sanctioned for government control, historical/contemporary oppression and revenue. We must candidly face the systematic devaluation of black lives in all our institutions, not just criminal justice system. When all else has failed the courts and prison become societies response to racism, disparities, poverty, unemployment and hopelessness. The prison removes the reality from view and is the least capable institution to resolve the racial chasm. Maybe the visual of Philandro’s death at the hands of state action will awaken the self-denial of the majority. I have to assume humanity, empathy and truth will prevail. But I recall saying the same thing after witnessing Rodney King’s brutal beating, Trayvon Martin, Walter Scott, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Tamir Rice and seeing in Jet magazine the open casket of Emmet Till. To the African American spirit that has suffered for so long, this must end. Hearts and minds, in a just society, can no longer accept the inhumanity and ugliness including the police assassinations in Dallas that we all witnessed this week.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lindhurst (almagitana) | 1 comments I do not discount any lives, but for the most part those who are singled out fit a certain profile/stereotype. Thus they are viewed as more threat. My family is from Puerto Rico and my son is mixed I live in Texas, sometimes I come across racist people. But honestly Black Lives Matter is more of a reverse racism acceptance group in my opinion. This is not the 1900's lets all just be human, wasn't that what the fighting started for in the first place? Fear feeds Anger, anger creates Hatred, Hatred fuels Violence and misunderstanding which then lead to regret. It's not about the uniform someone wears or the color of their skin, a soulless/Evil person is that way cause that's what's in their heart not what they look like! I know good cops I know bad cops I know intelligent people who respect authority and have less drama because they don't act wild and crazy. Two Wrongs never make a right... We all need to remember that...

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele Paynter | 17 comments Hi Melissa,
While I share some of your sentiments expressed, I do believe that the Black Lives Matter Campaign arises out of a dire need for the society to honor and respect Black folk.
On a deeply personal level, much like you, I believe that there are honorable, respectable and well-intentioned police persons, however, when one looks at all the deaths of innocent Black men, women and youth who have been killed needlessly, with those officers being exonerated - Can you understand the frustration, the angst, the feelings of being disrespected by some police that many experience in communities of color?
I certainly hope for better relationships established between the police and communities of color in the urban core. There has got to be a greater sense of culpability among wrong doers, be they angry folk or dishonorable police persons, wouldn't you agree?

message 4: by Ray (new)

Ray Hollar-Gregory | 3 comments Melissa and Michele;
Law and order are paramount to any society. In addition, justice and equal treatment are just as important. Reconciling these tensions should not be impossible for fair minded society. I am optimistic.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 40 comments Policemen are working class people and come to their jobs with a desire to help but also the usual biases that white people are brought up with. I think that policemen need to be trained to recognize their prejudices so that they don't act on them in the line of duty.

message 6: by Rammette (new)

Rammette | 1 comments This is a profound article on this matter
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11109842

message 7: by Rene (new)

Rene Janvier (rene_sees) | 1 comments Longtime wrote: "This is a profound article on this matter
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11109842"

Thank you for this article. I will share it with everyone i know.

message 8: by Ray (new)

Ray Hollar-Gregory | 3 comments Thanks Longtime excellent critique of the racial discomfort whites experience with Black Lives Matter. Similar to the reaction to Black Power in the 60s.

message 9: by Eugenie (new)

Eugenie (gracechild) | 3 comments Longtime wrote: "This is a profound article on this matter

Indeed

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Very good article. I have shared it with my friends.

message 11: by May (new)

May (mayzie) | 444 comments An excellent article and certainly forced a thoughtful person to rethink who & how

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 40 comments That was an interesting article. I grew up before this person when people still talked about color. I was a teenager during most of the civil rights movement in the '60's and my parents were involved in the movement and so was I. I always wondered why people feel uncomfortable discussing race. That article answered the question.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele Paynter | 17 comments Eugenie wrote: "Longtime wrote: "This is a profound article on this matter

Indeed"

OMG,
I found myself becoming tearful, with the unspoken recognition of words, thoughts and sometimes trepidation I have felt when discussing why Black Lives Matter to White colleagues and friends of mine. In many instances, my views or feelings were diminished, in lieu of being told, "Everyone matters Michele."

The fact that this poignant, telling, and very informative article was written by a White journalist may, in fact, offer credence to the message of White privilege to some naysayers of the Black Lives I Matters campaign and the existing paradigm of "colorblindness."

I am a Baby Boomer, having grown up with parents who instilled in me and my siblings, that we must always "do better academically, socially and professionally" than our White counterparts, because Black folk were perceived of as "less than" in the society. Being the perpetually optimistic person that I perceive myself to be, I argued vehemently with my parents against this notion. Reality has set in as I have aged and I have had many experiences in my life, now having to admit to myself that my late parents were right.

While I continue to be hopeful for more authentic understanding of the racial construct in m y country, and one day Black lives WILL MATTER - we're not there yet, but I will continue to educate my students in a truthful manner, about race, encouraging these young people to do their part in treating others with respect, dignity and honesty!

Thank you again for sharing this article.

message 14: by Pensacola (new)

Pensacola Jefferson | 13 comments EXCELLENT ARTICLE

message 15: by Blue (new)

Blue (topazamber) I'm still of the opinion that 'all life matters.' Each of us struggle and are persecuted at different times in different countries. Am I a racist? Hope not.

message 16: by Shaheer (new)

Shaheer Henderson | 0 comments This article is about one thing, the words black lives matter. Please understand this, many people who struggle to understand the movement as a problem with the words; not the movement. In addition, they don't even understand the movement, and what the movement is trying to produce (change). Black lives matter as a name is under public scrutiny, because it makes it seem as though blacks are more important. Thus, like school kids we see other say, well I'm important too". Yes you are important, but like this article states, to take away from one movement causes an interruption in that movement. Thus, making things harder to accomplish, if we can see past the name; then so many other doors will open. Further, if we can see the movement; then so many other moves can be made. Thank you Reach me at Shaheerhenderson@yahoo.com.

message 17: by Zorina (new)

Zorina | 24 comments I enjoyed reading the fact, arguments. Some people refuse to understand why.

A baby knows not to touch something hot, more so through the painful experience. Even though we tell the babies 'It's hot, do not touch. Right.
To me, some get it. Some people don't. Try not to get upset at the one's who don't understand. Just continue on having a blessed day.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 40 comments Part of the problem from where I see it is that the group has not articulated a specific demand. It just seems to be saying Black Lives Matter. Of course Black Lives Matter. I had the same problem with the Occupy movement. I agreed with the sentiment but what did they want exactly? I guess coming from a previous generation of protests, I'm used to very defined objectives. The movement against the was in Vietnam had the objective of the US government ending the war. The civil rights movement of the '60's had specific things they wanted the gov't to do also. Most of these were around ending discriminatory laws and voting rights and affirmative action. If the Black Lives Matter Movement articulated a specific demand, I think it would help.

message 19: by Shaheer (new)

Shaheer Henderson | 0 comments When it comes to demands we see them. However those demands are covered in the name itself. What I mean is that many people involved looks for the name to change things. However, it's the name that confuses the policy makers. Thus, once they see past the name; then things will articulate better.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 40 comments I hope so. It seems like the demand is for the police to regard black lives instead of being so damned trigger happy. That is a worthwhile expectation but even that could be more focused -for example, to demand that all police depts train their police in race relations and teach them to recognize their own biases, to demand that each police dept have an independent review board to investigate when people are killed. Black Lives Matter works as a name for a group but as a demand, it still strikes me as somewhat vague.

message 21: by DeBora (new)

DeBora Rachelle | 2 comments Why not ALL lives matter?

message 22: by Rainey (last edited Sep 06, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Rainey Deb wrote: "Why not ALL lives matter?"

Really. See message #9 and #13 above for you answer

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Elliott (sidthesasquatch) | 3 comments Deb wrote: "Why not ALL lives matter?"

ALL lives DO matter Deb. But the movement is not to say other lives don't matter, the movement is to bring awareness to the injustice that the black community deals with every day. That is not to say that EVERY situation involving black people is mishandled. But there is still very much a discrimination against them in this country. That may never end. This movement is powerful though and it has done what every movement should... bring awareness and cause people to take action to fix the problem. No one EVER said only black lives matter. It is a statement saying "hey... we matter too." I don't know why that is hard for some people to understand. Alas, that is part of the problem. Making this a white vs black or a cops vs blacks thing is not solving anything, but creating MORE issues. Can't we all just support our fellow Americans in their fight for equality? This is their movement... SUPPORT them. Break down the walls of injustice and spread love. /political rant over ;)

message 24: by Anella (new)

Anella (anellah) | 1 comments Wendy--Right on.

message 25: by Rainey (new)

Rainey Anella wrote: "Wendy--Right on."

Well said

message 26: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 4 comments Wendy, that is awesome! Well said and perfectly explained. I think it was John Oliver (I could be so far from left field with my credit here), that "Yes, all lives do matter, but right now we are focused on black lives because they are the ones who are continually being systematically oppressed".

message 27: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Elmore | 4 comments Hi my name is Bianca...from Chicago..
Bravo to you both Deb for asking and Wendy for answering. I believe the biggest issue is that we don't ask ENOUGH questions, and we are often afraid to hear the answers as they often confirm what we already know.

Thank you both..communication is key.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindylobis28) Why is there no place to like a comment or go back and reply directly to one? This does not work.

message 29: by Laureen (last edited Sep 09, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 30 comments Melissa wrote: "I do not discount any lives, but for the most part those who are singled out fit a certain profile/stereotype. Thus they are viewed as more threat. My family is from Puerto Rico and my son is mixed..."

So well said Melissa. I would like all "tags" to go away. Except perhaps "human" or "living beings". ALL people matter.

message 30: by Laureen (last edited Sep 09, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 30 comments I live in Australia so I don't really understand this movement. We are desperately trying to unite all Australians while certain "do-good people" are trying to divide the Nation through some sort of apartheid for the benefit of our native community. Instead of bringing people together in high regard and respect, it is driving people apart.

I think we should be careful what we wish for. Education helps and those who are proven to be criminally negligent should be punished according to the law and not through public hatred. Police are people too but if they find their path is to be a law enforcer, they need to understand that they must treat ALL people the same or they are not suited to the job. This goes for black Americans as well.

Just my thoughts, but please don't be angry. I do realise I don't know enough about black issues in America. Frankly, I have never seen differences in people except what hatred does to them. Not pretty!

message 31: by May (new)

May (mayzie) | 444 comments Actually, Laureen, you have stated the challenge quite well. Better than many of my American neighbors ...

message 32: by Lela (new)

Lela (lacslc) | 191 comments May, I agree - Lauren's words make more sense than much of what is said here in the USA.

message 33: by Lela (new)

Lela (lacslc) | 191 comments I want to say, too, that Wendy did s wonderful job of speaking to why the movement focuses on black lives matter. Of course, all lives matter but it's not all who live under the evil of racial discrimination. Having said that, I must add that it is not only black lives living under that ugly umbrella. There are also brown lives, Native American lives, Muslim lives, female lives, GBTQ lives and on and on and on. The reason for the "black lives matter" movement to take precedence is they are the ones being blatantly murdered by those called to protect so frequently it's shocking and sickening. And, now, I will have to add police to the list - bad apples do not condemn the crop. Perhaps the heart of all this is lack of respect for all, lack of humanity in many and the climate of fear and selfishness that pervades us at this point in our history. We need to change the climate! Love, mercy, kindness and humility would go a long way toward bringing down this hate and division. This is my musings on the subject.

message 34: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 30 comments Lela wrote: "I want to say, too, that Wendy did s wonderful job of speaking to why the movement focuses on black lives matter. Of course, all lives matter but it's not all who live under the evil of racial disc..."

Nicely said Lela.

message 35: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 30 comments May wrote: "Actually, Laureen, you have stated the challenge quite well. Better than many of my American neighbors ..."

Thank you May. I am glad I didn't put my foot in it - (Aussie saying).

message 36: by Abraham (new)

Abraham David | 9 comments Hi guys, can someone tell about, Game of Throne. By George R. R. Martin?

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments wonderful series - lots of characters - lots of scenery ... will keep you on your toes!