Reading the Chunksters discussion

Archived 2016 Group Reads > Helen Hoover Santmyer

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments It may be worthwhile skimming her biography on Wikipedia, but a quick summary of what I found to be the most important aspects of her life for our purposes.

She was born in 1895 in Cleveland, and moved to her mother's family home in Xenia with her family when she was five. She attended Wellesley College, worked briefly for Scribners, returned to Xenia, then went to Oxford University for three years (one site says as a Rhodes Scholar), then returned to Xenia again, where she joined the Xenia Womens Club. After her father lost his job in the depression they left for California, but three years later returned to the Xenia area, apparently for good.

At at age 40 she became Dean of the College and head of the English Department at Cedarville College, a Presbyterian college. After 18 years there she retired when Baptists purchased the college and required the faculty to accept Biblical literalism. She and her parents moved back into the family home in Xenia, and she found work as a research librarian in the Dayton, Ohio public library, making the 15 mile daily commute with her close friend, fellow librarian, and literary assistant, Mildred Sandoe. She died in Xenia at age 90.

message 2: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I read some her wiki page last week at work. It was a very interesting read. I used to live in OH near Xenia.