What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Pre-1970 science fiction future injured pilot in small town

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ray (new)

Ray Weston | 2 comments Hi. Looking for a book I read in the sixties about a man living a quiet life in an idyllic small town. The town is a facade constructed to look like a past he's fantasized. In fact, he's a military pilot who has crashed and is being kept alive long enough for him to reveal some secrets he's holding. He's in this place because it puts him at ease. Behind the buildings and scenery are doctors and scientists monitoring him and encouraging interaction with the few other characters placed in the town in an effort to get him to reveal his information. One of them is a woman with whom he develops a friendship. She smokes cigarettes that light when she draws on them sharply which he finds odd because nothing like that exists in his 1950s-ish America. I thought this was a Ray Bradbury story but I can't find anything like that in his works. I thought the story was titled The _______ Man but that's a guess and could be any of thousands of titles.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36060 comments Mod
Ray, do you learn early in the book that the small town is a facade, or is this more of a spoiler that's revealed later on?

Which war was the pilot fighting in?

Is this a novel or a short story in a sci fi collection?

message 3: by Ray (new)

Ray Weston | 2 comments Thanks, Kris. As I recall, though it's been some years, it initially appears that he's leading a simple life in a boring town but he likes it. We don't know that it's a movie set of a town initially. I don't believe he has a job to go to. He must think he's retired. Whenever he mentions going out of the town, one of the other characters intervenes and distracts him.

I'm pretty sure it's a cold war era story. I'm thinking he was a jet pilot. Probably Air Force? But I'm stretching my memory with that.

I'm rather certain that I got this book while in elementary school in the mid-60's. Had to be before 1970. We had book order opportunities where we could buy paperbacks and they'd come in and get distributed a week or so later. I'm sure it was a fundraiser for the school.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Ray, are you still looking for this or did you find it?