A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > August Book of the Month Suggestions - Mystery! [CLOSES 7/15/16]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie Marie (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE MAKING YOUR SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE : )

Well Mystery / Suspense / Thriller won our poll by an absolute landslide. Poll results are below.

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 10.56.31 AM

So, our inaugural book of the month will be a mystery! But, before we can get to that, we need some suggestions from you all. Dig through GoodReads, your TBR piles, endless lists all over the internet such as "10 Best Mystery Novels of All Time / 2016 / The Last Ten Years" and make some suggestions!

For the purposes of our book club, Mystery is a very broad genre header, so to speak. You may include in your suggestions any of it's subgenera such as (but not limited to):
- Cozy
- Thriller
- True Crime
- Suspense
- Young Adult
- Adult
- Historical
- Paranormal

For a full list, visit this page put together by GoodReads. On the right hand side, there is a list of related subgenera as they pertain to mystery and each link will not only describe the various subgenera (I admit, I had to do a little research on "Hard Boiled" mystery) but also list out the best / most-read examples of each.

A couple of other things as they pertain to making your suggestions.
1. Your chosen book does not have to a book you have read previously.
I repeat, it does not have to be a book you've already read. The purposes of this book club are to experience new books. That being said, if there's a book that fits this genre so perfectly and you want to share it with the world and you want to reread it, by all means, recommend it here. Just don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone either. ; )

2. Your chosen book must be a mystery. Seems pretty self-explanatory but it needs to be said.
If you aren't sure if a book is mystery, on the book's page on GoodReads, listed on the right hand side there is a list of genres that that book falls under. Take a look at Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith to see what I mean. Sometimes there are books that aren't tagged with their appropriate genre (it happens most often with subgenera conflicts - "epic" vs. "high" fantasy is a great example). If that's the case with your chosen book, just be ready with an explanation if the synopsis doesn't sound good.

3. Please try to choose books that are easily attainable.
Fortunately, in today's world, digital audiobooks, ebooks, Amazon and The Book Depository (free shipping worldwide!) make this easy. But if your book is a brand new release by an indie publisher, that might not be the case. Or if the book you really want to read isn't out until this time next year, then discussion is going to be nil. Just keep that in mind when selecting.

4. Please choose a book that is first in series.
We may not all have read the first 11 books in the series so selecting book #12 makes it difficult.

5. Please choose a book with a reasonable page length.
I can read a 1000 page book in a month but that's certainly not the case for everybody. I'm not setting a page limit and chunksters aren't highly present in the mystery genre. Just something to be mindful of.

6. If you're about to suggest a book that you already see suggested here, you have a choice to make. You can absolutely suggest it again. No shame in wanting to read a book that somebody else does, too! Or you can choose something else. Maybe you had a top three and your top two were already suggested. So go ahead and put your third in. We're voting at the end of this week so titles aren't limited in this way.

and, finally...

7. When making your suggestion, please include a link to the book's title, author and cover.
If you aren't sure how to do this, I put up a lengthy tutorial earlier this week. It's a simple process once you've done it once but it's also really intuitive. The reason this is apart of the selection process is that it makes it easy for people to peruse the titles and get a feel for the books on the list by reading the synopses, ratings, etc. Maybe even grow their own TBRs while they're at it!

Edited To Add:
7.5 With regards to numbers of suggestions, for the time being, we're going to limit the maximum to three suggestions per person. This is subject to change based on need / relevancy.

- Thanks, Heather, for the question!

Okay! I think that's all. Thanks everybody so much for getting involved. I can't wait to see the selections you all come up with!

message 4: by Heather (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:57AM) (new)

Heather | 131 comments How many are we allowed to nominate? Cause I have a bunch of Mysteries in my queue. ^_^ This is just a randomly picked one.

::pick moved down to next post::

message 5: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Heather wrote: "How many are we allowed to nominate? Cause I have a bunch of Mysteries in my queue. ^_^ This is just a randomly picked one.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
[bookcover:Da..."

Ooh! Great question. Mmm, let's limit up to three (3). I'll edit the master.

message 6: by Heather (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:58AM) (new)

Heather | 131 comments Oh goodie. I'll pick ones from different sub-genres:

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold 328 pages, Adult Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Crime, Fantasy.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn 349 pages, Thriller, Crime, Suspense

Crewel World by Monica Ferris
Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris 245 pages, Cozy Mystery, first in a series (A Needlecraft Mystery #1)

message 7: by Þórdís (new)

Þórdís (disa80) Here are my suggestions although I have to say that it took a long time to pick only three. There are just so many good books in the world :)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb Naked in Death 320 pages

Shakespeare's Trollop (Lily Bard, #4) by Charlaine Harris Shakespeare's Trollop 216 pages

Hunter/Prey (Allie Krycek, #1) by Sam Sisavath Hunter/Prey 192 pages

Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter) (stephanieatonceuponachapter) The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1) by Amanda Lee

I suggest The Quick and the Thread 336 pages 1st in a series, published in 2010 so it should be easy to get ahold of. Main character owns and operates The Seven Year Stitch (an embroidery/cross stitch store)!

message 9: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) That's ok, Cheryl. Will you just type the title of the book and the authors name? That should be enough for now. :)

message 10: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:34PM) (new)

Cheryl My suggestions:
Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger Ink and Bone

The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis The Wolf Road

Didn't work on iPhone or iPad, but DID work on MacBook (in case others have an issue). Thanks!

message 11: by Meagan (last edited Jul 14, 2016 12:04AM) (new)

Meagan Mae | 7 comments I don't ever know what to suggest on these things least I be judged by my suggestions. Social anxiety much? ;)

I was going to sit back and just let you guys tell me what to read, but then being in a club is about participation right? So here it goes.

I am a Stephanie Plum lover, they are light, funny and fun. But I want to read a book that I haven't read yet, so this has been suggested in a group I belong to for that series.

Apparently it is a cozy mystery according to the genre given by goodreads.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
Joanne Fluke
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

message 12: by Eden (new)

Eden | 807 comments Mod
I love mystery novels!! I am so excited! I have a couple of suggestions.

1st to Die

and This Pen for Hire

I haven't read This Pen for HIre yet, and I have read 1st to Die, and I loved it! I definitely want to read it again.

Both books are part of a series. :)

message 13: by Emy (new)

Emy | 4 comments I will throw in some books from my tbr pile:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

After the Woods by Kim Savage After the Woods by Kim Savage

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Mystery's not really a genre I've read much of so I'm excited whichever book comes out on top though. :D

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherineconno) | 1 comments The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith.

message 17: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett After reading these suggestions, I like "Night Film" or The Quick and the Thread"

message 18: by Annette (last edited Jul 15, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Annette (annette414) Squeaking in!

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.