Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Do you really have a favourite author??

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia Hi everyone!
Since I started reading novels, the Harry Potter series has been my favourite. As a result, for a long time J.K. Rowling was my favourite author. I tracked down all of the companion novellas, and while they were just fun easy reads, I really enjoyed them. I think the only way to say that someone is my favourite author is if I have enjoyed every one of his/her works. That was true for Rowling before she started branching away from children's books. I have no interest in reading any of her new books and I find some of the premises to be offensive, so I can no longer give her that title.
On the other hand, I enjoy the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke and the Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud. Similarly though, the only other works by Funke that I enjoyed were The Thief Lord and Dragon Rider, and I have only read one of Stroud's other books. So I really don't have a favourite author...just a bunch of different books by random people that I enjoy. I wish I could say that I do have a favourite author, but no one person has written a compendium of books that ALL appeal to me.
Does anyone else feel like they don't have a "favourite" author??

Sarah S I think that you don't need to love every single book that a certain author wrote to make them your "favourite author". Maybe it's just their style of writing that makes them your favourite or something.

Mariah Sharron Draper- She- her writing is mesmerizing!

message 4: by Nikita (last edited Jul 10, 2016 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikita Yes. I love these for their writing styles, the plot and how they immediately drag me into their stories and worlds.
Marissa Meyer
Richelle Mead
Sarah J. Maas
Julie Kagawa
Susan Ee
Colleen Houck

Sarah S Yes, Marissa Meyer!!

Sarah S But I wouldn't call her my favourite author

Nikita Sarah wrote: "But I wouldn't call her my favourite author"

Why?

message 8: by E.K (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.K Jacobs I like a lot of authors, but among my favorites are J.K Rowling, Markus Zusak, and Mark Twain. Each of their writing styles differ from the next, but that's what makes their books so memorable. Everyone usually has a different way of conveying ideas, which makes every book originally written.....

Mariah E.K wrote: "I like a lot of authors, but among my favorites are J.K Rowling, Markus Zusak, and Mark Twain. Each of their writing styles differ from the next, but that's what makes their books so memorable. Eve..."

omg i love all those people

Louise Sparrow I don't feel I have to like everything an author writes for them to be one of my favourite authors, lots of authors experiment with different styles and there's always going to be some books you like better than others.

message 11: by E.K (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.K Jacobs Louise Sparrow wrote: "I don't feel I have to like everything an author writes for them to be one of my favourite authors, lots of authors experiment with different styles and there's always going to be some books you li..."
I completely agree with you there.

Mariah E.K wrote: "Louise Sparrow wrote: "I don't feel I have to like everything an author writes for them to be one of my favourite authors, lots of authors experiment with different styles and there's always going ..."

true

message 13: by Jade (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jade Dearlove I don't have one favourite author. My top 4 are Veronica Roth, J.K Rowling, John Green and Jodi Picoult.
I agree with Louise Sparrow, E.K and Maya!

Mariah Surferchick.1 wrote: "I don't have one favourite author. My top 4 are Veronica Roth, J.K Rowling, John Green and Jodi Picoult.
I agree with Louise Sparrow, E.K and Maya!"

thx!

message 15: by Julia (last edited Jul 15, 2016 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia Sarah wrote: "I think that you don't need to love every single book that a certain author wrote to make them your "favourite author". Maybe it's just their style of writing that makes them your favourite or some..."

I find it varies. For instance, I really enjoy Ray Bradbury's voice, but I like the Harry Potter books more even if the voice isn't always intriguing.

Mariah I agree with all of you but I'll say something now.

You never can have a favorite author. You keep liking and reading books so you will discover many amazing authors. Now, you can have a favorite book. If you have a favorite book, it means that you like the paticular book, not the author. So technically, I don't have a favorite among others, but I think that the writing style of Sharron Draper and JK Rowling are good. However, I also like writing styles in the books themselves. I hated some books from an author, but then I loved one single book. It happens a lot. So, if you have a favorite author, you only read and like their books. That is what I was trying to get across.

Louise Sparrow I don't think I agree with that, I admit I don't have a single favourite author but many, but I think it's possible.

If you accept that logic however you can't have a favourite book either if you read other books?

Poorabi Khaled Hosseini anyone?

message 19: by E.K (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.K Jacobs Yes! I love the Kite Runner!

emily I feel like you can have a favorite author. You don't have to like everything they write, but if you like some of their books or even their personality. When I first got into reading, my favorite author was Marissa Meyer, even though I do not like a few of her books. Most people often find it hard to define their favorite authors against their least favorites but people can find a particular author's style that they like.

Julia Louise Sparrow wrote: "I don't feel I have to like everything an author writes for them to be one of my favourite authors, lots of authors experiment with different styles and there's always going to be some books you li..."

I get that, but a really bad book discredits the author for me altogether. I can accept other styles, but I don't think the target audience should vary so drastically, especially if the author has the largest fan group in the world!